mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
I wouldn't call this "the Big Bear spodefest", but some of our fellow DRNr's are interested this weekend, so here it is.

Green Stickers (sorry I think Red's out of season)
I suggest staging at the Crab Flats campgrounds (less driving than going all the way to Big Bear). I checked with Forestry and the campground is not officially open yet, but you can park in a campsite with an Adventure Pass (available at www.fsadventurepass.org). I'll bring two annual passes if anyone forgets. Crab Flats is on 3N16, which is 3 miles off Green Valley Lake Rd., which is off Hiway 18 on the way to Big Bear. Map below.
I figure to ride in from Big Bear and meet up at Crab Flats around "10 am ish" and then do a short warm-up on a nearby and very fun trail and then take 3N34 to Deep Creek.

Map link: http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tonyc/jeep2/bigbearmap1.jpg

Dual Sport (plated)
If any dual-sports are interested, we can meet at my place in Big Bear Lake around "9 am ish" and ride to Fawnskin, taking 3N14 to 3N93 (Holcomb Creek Trail, very nice ride, but street legal only) to Crab Flats. Let me know so I can e-mail directions to my place.

Please offer any suggestions on timing or whatever.

BTW, for you hard-core riders who went last time and needed more challenge, I haven't forgotten and I'm still figuring on another ride up John Bull (3N10) maybe next month, probably staging from the Wedge Ranch again. :p

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Yes!

2 to go here! My oldest son & I, tho we can be there @ 9am, ready to roll in a half. (seems like a 2-hr drive from Org. Co. :think: )

Look 4 white T-100, 2 yellow bikes.

How many trail miles are U planning? 1 loop or 2? I can go ~50 mi. w/my MX tank - can put on a 3 gal. for 70-mi range, tho 35-50 mi. of mountain riding is plenty for a day.

What is the level of difficulty? Intermediate to advanced?

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
From Crab Flats, it should be about a 25 mile ride. We have the option of crossing Deep Creek for a longer ride, but the water's running a little deep. The Forestry has a 3 level rating, labeling the Deep Creek run "most difficult", but it's "advanced intermediate" IMHO. There's a few rocky areas that have multiple trails (ruts or off-camber) the latter being more dangerous if you don't carry the momentum; the former being safer, but you have to struggle through the ruts). Overall, the trail can be negotiated pretty safely by intermediate riders going slow and picking lines where you can get your feet down. I don't recommend it for beginners.

EM rider

Apr 27, 2001
Thanks for the offer mtngoat. I've wanted to ride the Big Bear area for a long time, but unfortunately I'll be out of town on the 20th of May. If there is a next time, I'm interested.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I would like to go.

Any chance of posting directions to Crab Flats from the San Berdardino area.

Thanks
Jeff

sgr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 14, 2000
SoCal
Lastplace, do you think I would be able to keep up with you guys? I would hate to get in over my head, but being from Colorado I have missed the single track in the trees kind of riding. This sounds like it could be an awesome ride.

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Sgr, you'll be fine. The trail is very fun and technical; tends to be slow going. A few of the locals (David, Dale, Yvo) will be on the ride with 2-way radios. We've done this before for groups of different riding abilities (including beginners and kids) and it's a lot of fun. I plan to ride sweep. If you like woodsy single-track, you'll love this ride. Hope you can make it.

LT, sorry we'll miss you. We can't wait to see the latest toy.

RM, here's a link to a map. Use this and the other map and directions posted already. The turn off Hiway 18 is Green Valley Road, which is between Running Springs and Snow Valley; look for the big Green Valley sign. Let me know if you need more info.
http://www.bigbear.com/visitorcenter/directions/

EM, I was thinking of another ride in June, probably through John Bull which is considered one of the toughest local trails, continuing thru Holcomb and Deep Creek. We'll also set up a a John Bull bypass so more riders can go. That ride requires connecting trails on street legal fireroads though. Hope you can make it next time.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by LongTime
Wrist is better, Jeff?

(Ankle's not yet, MtnGoat.)

Still a little weak but I think I should be fine. My wife and I moved last week and after carrying furniture and setting things up for 2 days I felt pretty good. By the way... Last night I finally got to clean the mud off my bike from when I rode with you and 89r

How much longer on your ankle?

Last edited:

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Perhaps

Originally posted by sgr
Lastplace, do you think I would be able to keep up with you guys? I would hate to get in over my head

It may be a bit of a challenge 4 U; I defer to mtngoat as he knows the trailsls & is the captain/trail boss 4 this gathering.

Mtngoat: sgr has demonstrated a reasonable am't of stamina on an intermidiate loop @ Hungry Valley, rarely needing help in all but a few spots tough spots of a 35 mi. loop. Her horse is a clean big-wheeled XR120 hybrid.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
You folks are making me jealous. I've ridden Big Bear twice. If you haven't ridden there you don't know what you are missing. I don't remember anything too terribly difficult - John Bull can be a bit of work ( I was on a KX500 geared for the desert - if I can ride that trail anybody can:) ). Watched a guy dump a XR650L in the rocks and bust a Rally Guard & lever.....

I wanna go :( just a bit of a drive these days.

Brian

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Originally posted by RMjeff

How much longer on your ankle?

Several weeks til' I can walk right or ride while standing. If anyone wants to do a kid's run where us grown-ups just ride sitting down, though. . . .:cool:

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Proposal 4 Next Time

June 10th & 24th, if I may.

LT, if U need someone to - ahem - break in your new GG, I might B able to work it into my schedule ;)

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
placelast,
thanks, that helps me.
Sgr, I figure there are two spots on the trail that will be challenging on the way back up. The first few times I took my boys through this trail, I either rode their bike up or helped them "bull-dog" (i.e. get off with the bike running and walk it up).
These spots are fairly short and don't inhibit the overall enjoyment. I have quite a bit of practice helping folks (which I really do find satisfying) and would be happy to help any fellow DRN'r.

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Any last minute questions, please post or e-mail me by tomorrow morning. I'm gonna cut out early from work tomorrow afternoon and head up the mountain. Looking forward to seeing all of you.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Re: Proposal 4 Next Time

Originally posted by placelast
LT, if U need someone to - ahem - break in your new GG, I might B able to work it into my schedule ;)

I sense a transaction in the making . . . oh-guy-close-to-me-who-knows-more-about-setting-up-a-two-stroke-than-I-do-and-has-been-dying-to-road-test-some-new-exotic-Spanish-bike-at-one-or-some-of-his-favorite-riding-areas. :cool:

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Damn red sticker.

Season's "officially" over for me as of this last tuesday, but I'm going riding this weekend. That and the fact that I don't have time to rejet will keep me down the mountian. Plus I wanna tool around out in Beaumont area and break in the new YZ125. I've got a buddy or two lined up and we've found some pretty good digs and don't get hassled by the PD. Any of you red sticker rebels want to join us, reply or e-mail me...

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
If anyone sees this before tomorrow, it's looking good for me to be there. White Explorer with white trailer / wood sides. Going tonight to gas up. See ya!:)

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
KTM200EXC vs. YZ125

Lastplace, the Y2K KTM200 is red sticker. Love the bike, although after riding our new YZ125 yesterday, it feel sluggish in the handling dept. But the KTM makes more usable power on the trail... what ya gonna do? :think

Anyway, where is Kennedy Meadows?

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
*william*

Kennedy Meadows (the trails are closed there; were give to the ecos by then Sen Cranston, but there are plently left 4 us in the Kern Plareau) is NW of Ridgecrest, in the sierras just south of Mt. Whitney. Beautiful alpine single-track riding thru pines & aspens 8k'-up. It's a 4-hr drive 4 us, but U R a little closer.

Red stickers are allowed year 'round, but it is snowed in most of the year.

See my other post on the subject or e-mail me 4 more info.

Top Bottom