Big Bore Power?

KAWA200'sRule

Mar 15, 2004
My friend is considering a 500cc bike. He asked me what I think of 'em so I'm asking you. Why are they becoming exticnt and noone seems to like them? I think it would be fun but not for woods. The first thing that came to my mind was a KTM 380sx. I think he should get the KTM for the mx track. He mostly rides mx but wants a big bore bike. Any suggestions and opinions is appreciated.

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
To fully explain why they are going extinct would take way way too much time. A ktm 380 is excellent. also, the newer 300s arn't to shabby either.

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
You can never have too much horsepower :yeehaw:

KAWA200'sRule

Mar 15, 2004
I dont mind power either but that takes all the fun out of riding. Theres no technique you could jump the whole track in first gear. Not really but you know what I mean.

mud_dawg

Apr 1, 2004
atk 700

the atk 700 has 72 hp

it will run flat out around 120 with stock gearing.
they also make a 620cc
a 500 and a 370.

i myslef think the 370 is the best bike for trail or woods
the 500 is very wicked most like an all out mx bike hi reving wicked power band
the 620 would make a great woods bike for a bigger guy.i am5-10 210lbs and its too much for me but i rode and fell in love with the 370.

it may not be a big bore but their LQ 250 is a killer woods bike and they come with all the top stuff paoli forks ohlins shocks rotex engine.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I have had MANY CR500's and have been on my street legal KX500 for a little over a year now and from expereince can say:
The KIPS valve 500cc Kawasaki motor is an AWESOME woods bike!! Wanna idle thru the tightest, narlyest, greasiest crap known to man kind and then real in ANYTHING short of a Dodge Viper from corner to corner? Put on a flywheel weight and you will be SHOCKED!! Wanna DOMINATE in the whoops? Pin it and cut the tops off the suckers!! Wanna putt? hows all day long without fouling a plug sound! Wanna FLY, how's tooling along the highway at 75 mph and twisting the grip to bring the front end up sound? Wanna freshen the motor up at 6 thousand miles on the stock piston? Hows $150 for a NEW top end job sound!
Wanna know the down side of BIG BORE RIDING - THEY EAT TIRES!! But hey, everything has its price :) :)
Woodsy

Attachments

• Mar28172.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 2,615

dking4

Apr 7, 2004
Street Legal?

What lighting kit and exhaust modifications did you add to make your bike street legal? I have a '03 KX500 and would like to at least add a lighting kit and a quiet, spark-arrested silencer.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Dking:
Having been down the road about spark arrestors a few hundred times I finally found what I believe to be the BEST choice for the 5, it is the Pro Circuit Spark Arrestor Silencer and Chaparral-racing.com has them - part number is 997-sk88500sr. It is a turbine model so NO cleaning or repacking necessary!! I run this arrestor with my stock pipe (I LOVE the stock pipe - VERY DURABLE!!) and it is the QUIETESS 500 2 stroke I have EVER owned!! As a matter of fact, I rode with an "A" Enduro rider a couple weeks ago that also used to run CR500's and he commented on how UNBELIEVABLY quiet my bike is - his DRN name is DSK - pm him and ask him about it if you want!! Or, better yet, go to Eastern Chapters and then to Michigan Trail Riders and you can just post there about my bike - MANY of those guys have ridden with me and know my machine very well - my bikes name is KADIE. I also ran against my buddies CRF450 BEFORE I changed the silencer from stock and after and found NO difference in performance!!
Now about lighting: I went the route of an Electrx lighting coil with a Acberis Elba Headlight Assmbly. THe coil puts out 75 watts and was VERY inexpensive (Under $100). It was NOT as easy as it should have been to install - I wound up having to shave a little off my stater poles (where the coil sits) to get it to fit. If you go with Electrx be VERY careful when first installing - the coil they gave me set high and bumped into the rivets on the flywheel - it just took a minute to remove some height from the mounting posts - but if I wouldnt have checked it the coil would have been ruined by the flywheel. I called Electx about it but they were of NO help - they jjust said that I had the correct coil!!! If I had to do it over I would go with another manufacturer - maybe get someone more helpful!!! I have used Ricky Stator for other items and found them VERY helpful - I would at least give them a call BEFORE I redid Electrx!!
Have you tried a flywheel weight? Steahly makes a 14 oz. for the 5 - give it a shot!! EASY INSTALL and you will SWEAR you are riding a John Deere tractor with the POW of a big bore 2 stroke - I LOVE MINE!!
Hope you enjoy your KX as much as I have mine! ANyother questions you can ask here or PM me - glad to help if I can!!
Woodsy

scnnrs

Jun 14, 2009
86 kx500 lighting kit and street legal

Woody,
do you think the kit you used for lighting would work on an 86 kx500. i have been searching high and low for a lighting kit and coil with no luck. Everyone just tells me get rid of it and get a new one, (i don't think so). Any info would be greatly appreciated. Did you have a really tough time getting it registered for the street?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…