yzracer49

Mar 19, 2000
While everybody is drooling over the new Yz250f. (me too) and all the rummers of a Yz150/125f around. Why isn't anyone asking about a BIGGER Yzf?

How about a Wr660f? Shoehorn the Raptor engine into a enduro/desert frame. Something to go head to head with the Xr650. Better yet, put into a dual-sport or super-motoard model. I hate to see a big 4-stroke engine go to waste.

------------------
A nudge is a good as a wink to a blind man.
Know what I mean eh?
nudge nudge wink wink..

yzracer49

Mar 19, 2000
Yeah, I know about them. the Black Panther is on my short list for next street bike. But what I'm talking about is a full on dessert racer.
Plus I think the MuZ are a little de-tuned from thier potential, But very, very cool!!

------------------
A nudge is a good as a wink to a blind man.
Know what I mean eh?
nudge nudge wink wink..

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Honda can't give away the XR650R in spite of it being a GREAT bike, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Yamaha or anyone else to build new bikes for a niche market like desert racing :)

------------------
Rich Rohrich
==

"Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the life-long attempt to acquire it."
- Albert Einstein

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Rich I have to disagree with you,,,, you finally are wrong.

The XR650 is not a great bike. It does not fit a large portion of riders due to size and weight. However it is a good bike for bigger guys. I can outrun an XR650 with my bike, so power is not the issue.

Chris

------------------
94 Husky 360 2 stroke, Street legal,(gotta clear my throat now)! Ported engine, FMF pipe, kehin PWK carb, full knobbies, Pro Action Showa suspension, Pro tapers. 50HP

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
It takes testacles to call a man wrong.
The weapon fits the mission.
Period.
There will always be a bunch of tweakers attempting to build a better wheel.
Good luck and godspeed to the American way.

------------------
01 wr426
99 ktm200

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Sorry Chris , but Bill is right :) The bike is designed for high speed, wide open "wet work" in desert competition, or similar venues. It seems to accomplish that with great aplomb with minimal changes. As the basis for a SuperTT project it holds great potential as well. I have my eyes on one for that very reason. I'll be the first to admit that it seems somewhat out of character for Honda to build such a niche oriented bike, unless they were using it to test technology in a segment that doesn't draw a ton of attention.

It would be silly for someone to assume you could take it to a tighter HS type race and not get waxed by smaller lighter bikes. The same logic seems to hold true for the Husky 610 and the LC640. I'm 5'5" but I don't find the size of it to be an issue other than the height, but I can say that about everything I own except for my TTR :) I'm a bit larger than the average "small guy" so maybe I'm not a valid test case. LOL

I think it boils down to the old saying "just because you have a good hammer it doesn't make everything you see a nail" :) I think Honda built a pretty good hammer as long as people are clear about what type of nails to use it with HEHEHE

------------------
Rich Rohrich
==

"Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the life-long attempt to acquire it."
- Albert Einstein

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
On that same note, the winner of the B class at the last Black Jack enduro was riding one of these 650's. He was pretty tall at 6'5", but he sure was moving the bike around well when he passed me. The size didnt seem to slow him down much, especially in all of the rocks and tight trees.

------------------
1992 WR 500
If it looked easy, then it wasnt me doing it!!!

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Rich the saying is:

If you are a hammer; everything looks like a nail.

lots of wisdom in that sentence. Leave it to a scientific type to over complicate the execution and nuance of such a concise definition of the human condition.

lol

( Or is it:

If you are a Honda, everything looks like a snail...)

------------------
2001 VOR503 V-Cross
1982 husqvarna XC430
1974 Bultaco Frontera 360
6 Kids, Four Ride, 3 race. (cr125, yz80, 2 KX125's)
Case 780, INT 1066, Ford LTL9000...and a Percheron

[This message has been edited by weimedog (edited 04-25-2001).]

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by weimedog:
If you are a Honda, everything looks like a snail...

That sums it up for me :D

------------------
Rich Rohrich
==

- Albert Einstein

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
I don't know why but for some reason I love XR 650's. They just look big and mean to me. I know the bike doesn't fit my riding conditions; trails, woods and mx, so I'll probably never get one. But if I was to win the lottery it would be one of my first purchases ;).

------------------

[This message has been edited by IDkTm (edited 04-25-2001).]

Top Bottom