Big Boy currently on 125sx....need more power

askennedy

Feb 7, 2004
I currently own a '04 125sx. I bought it a few months ago from a local KTM dealer. At that time I was debating between the 125sx and 250sx. The dealer recommended that I get the 125 becasue I had not been on a MX bike in almost 20 years and he felt it would be better to reaquaint myself on the smaller bike. The only riding I will do is on a open MX track and on our farm. I wanted a MX bike because of my size. I weigh 240#'s. I figured the stiffer suspension would handle my weight better. I dont think the dealer realized how much I weighed when he suggested the 125.

The original reason I bought it was so I didnt have to sit around and watch my Son ride his Dirt Bike. I wanted to get out and play too!!! The more I ride, the more I get into it. On the farm the 125sx is a blast on the trails on small hills, but on the track I am contsantly fanning the clutch and shifting.

I need more power/grunt........What do you all think I should do? Should I try modding the 125? Should I get a 250? or should I look in to a 4 stroke? If so, what brand?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

NWMyers#5

Jan 23, 2004
I'm kinda Anti 4 Stroke but a 250 MX bike will definately have more torque which sounds like what you are in need of. There isn't a whole lot you can do to the 125 that's going to help you with having to clutch it. Gearing down will help some but at 240 all I can think is Big man on a little bike....

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Big man need um KX500 with flywheel weight - at il tote you around like nothing you have ever ridden!! CRF450's are nothing short of AWESOME for us "bigger guys" too but I still like the torque of the 5 and the easy/cheap maintenance!! I thought those SX125's were like 46 horse? I would like to try one once. Being a small bore you still hafta ride the pipe to get at those big ponies but I think it would be fun bike!! Take my word for it, YOU WONT HAVE TO FAN on a KX500 or a CRF!!
By the way, the YZ250's (2 smokers) have also had GREAT low end for MX bike - make fun trail bikes!!

Mar 3, 2004
hey, i have a KX250... its a '99 w/ a 98's powervalve (the 98's had some massive low end) I am only 155lbs, but i swear that thing, with enough traction, can fly swat me backwards into the dirt :laugh: . But i also have some major mods to that sucker. Anyways, the new 250's might have what you want, and im sure the new big bore fourstrokes definetly have what you want. It kinda sucks that you have a brand new bike because if you sell it, your going to lose a little value, but in the end i feel that something with more torque (like a large bore two stroke, and fourstrokes) would suit you much better. Maybe work out a trade with someone? or go back to the same dealership and explain your situation and see if they can help you out at all?

There is a guy on this site, Eric Gorr, he is the man to go to if you want to mod your 125. I also think maybe boring out your bike may solve your problems? a 175 kit, or a 250 jug ontop of your 125's lower end (is that possible?) It all depends on really what option you want to take. An even cheaper route would be a pipe/reeds/gearing setup. But most mods/setups are trade offs... top speed for exceleration and vice versa.

good luck man, hey, my 250's for sale and if you are in town (monmouth county NJ) id sure let you take mine for a spin. I'd do alright on a 125, but then again, i could blow away in the wind :thumb:

elf

Jun 7, 2003
woodsy said:
weight - I thought those SX125's were like 46 horse? I would like to try one once.

Try about 35 hp.

Askennedy.. By a 250 rm or yz. 125 sx is agood bike but the 250 is still trying to catch up to the jap bikes. with your weight you need at least a 250.

Top Bottom