firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I had SO MUCH fun at DW. For those who haven't made it, please try if ever you can; you won't understand the full scope of the DRN family until you experience that.

However, traveling so far (the farthest I have EVER been from my home) made me realize that there is a whole lot more to this country than my own little hillbilly corner and I haven't seen very much of it.

I also have an extremely dead end job right now that I hate. I have a college degree that I worked very hard for and I am not using. The job market here sucks.

And as many of you have gathered by my posts, my relationship is not going well. He changed in ways I didn't expect when we moved in together, and we are far less compatible than I thought. Plus, probably the biggest reason, is that I am not ready for domestic bliss! I feel tied down, trapped, stuck. I want to SEE and DO more things first!

Now I know there will be lots of "I-told-you-sos" flying around and I graciously accept them. You all are right. I AM too young. I am WAY too flighty and fickle. And I am NOT ready.

So: I came to a decision. I am ready to pick up and move anywhere, anywhere at all, in the country. There are DRN-ers in every state and it won't be the first time I moved somewhere I didn't know anybody. I can find a job actually doing what I want to do; I have new, better connections in the publishing world and the publisher of the newsweekly I have been writing for assures me that I write very well and am fully qualified to find a good job writing for a newspaper or magazine.

I am so excited! I have wanderlust now and can't wait to start figuring out my next step.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Good Luck in your search girl! ;)

Phillip

Last edited:

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
Best of luck! Get it out of your system while you're still young. You don't want to be an old woman looking back regretting that you never took a chance. Kind of like that old dude in the commercial that bought aluminum siding instead of a Harley.

Larry

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
What is your degree in? The job market in Philly is actually pretty good. As for moving in with someone and realizing you two are not right for each other. I feel for ya, been there done that.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
:):):)

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
If you didn't like the traffic in Seattle, I would stay out of LA.

Also look at the cost of living, I was in a class in LA last week and one of the guys from San Jose paid $2800 a month for rent, plus it was in Tracy, about 2 hours from his work.

If you can write for anyone, find a place where the cost of living is less and work from home. With a lower living cost you could also travel a lot more :) .

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
THink about Colo. Lots of riding and it's a truely wonderful place to live.

Cost of living is still pretty high and the economy is down right now, but I still can't think of too many other places I'd rather be. (well except on a few hundred acres in Montana, with a couple million in the bank!)

Rod

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
What type of writing/journalism job are you looking for? Mainstream print news, trade pulications, moto journalism or something else? What you want will kinda limit where you have to choose from.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by motohead00

Is that Louisiana or Los Angeles? I wondered how long it would be in coming! ;)

:)

Dude, it was good to meet you. Be careful out on that rig. Look forward to hanging out with you again.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Best of Luck to you FC.

Remember the Cajun Creed
Bon Dieu - Good Lord
Bon Sante' - Good Health
Bon Temps - Good Times
Bon Amis' - Good Friends
Bon Mange - Good Food

Keep it all in balance and find the most of all of the above!
Ecotopia is a great place to be from ..... :)

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
I liked it in Oklahoma, just seemed kind of like a cool place. not just because cooperland is there either ;) Maybe I should go to OSU :yeehaw:

HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
Get a job at Cyclenews. Best of both worlds, Traveling, writing, photography and motorcycles!I did it back in the '70's and enjoyed the job and experience.
Do it while you are young and unattached.

Toolman :thumb:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well I am looking for a reporting job, it doesn't HAVE to be in the moto industry but bonus if it is. I really do better at feature writing and human interest pieces but can write anything. A weekly alternative newspaper or magazine would be better since they tend to be more feature-oriented, but at this stage in my career I can't be too choosy.

So far I have a 10-page list of potential jobs in nearly every state. I am too much of a country small town girl to be happy in a huge city so Chicago, NY, etc aren't real interesting to me. As for weather, I am very spoiled by the perfect weather in the NW but I can adapt to anything. Texas, Mississippi, Wyoming and Colorado so far had some of the jobs that caught my eye the most. I can go anywhere; as I weed through the list I made, I will start getting in touch with local DRN members to find out about that area.

I'm excited and happy and feel free, not at all nervous or unsure or sad. I think that means I'm doing the right thing for me.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
An unbound woman will inevitabily make history

Best of luck

Last edited:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Sometimes you just need to test the water! choose where you want to live. then see if there's work in the area! take a real close look @ your life style and needs then look to see if the area can fill the bill. after seeing the beauty of the SW and lake meed & powel area. with my boating /trail riding loves I just wish my golden chains were'nt so tight! I'd me on my way!!!! good luck F/C !

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
FC, if you want to try it, think about KY, the cost of living is relativly low and I live just south to the largest city, Lexington. My rent is only about $270.00 a month but you can get a hose or a really nice duplex fo between $500-700.00 a month. Take a LOOK.

Good Luck,
Phillip

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Just remember this, IOWA stands for I Oughta Went Around! :eek: :)

I'm in a similar dilemna, sick of my job, sick of this state, and ready for change. Sounds like you are ready for the change. Go for it and enjoy this great country.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
If you're a small town country girl, you'll love Western KY. I honestly couldn't be paid to live anywhere else. Great people, great schools, good job opportunities, and good riding! There is a broadcasting company in the area that is always advertising on the radio about job opps. in the marketing/broadcasting/publishing field. Withers Broadcasting. I couldn't find a website, but I'll try to catch their phone # next time I hear their advertisement. And we're right on KY and Barkely lakes, so there are a few feature oriented papers that circulate. If you are an outdoor person, Western Ky is the place to be. Land Between the Lakes is a HUGE recreation area with camping, hiking, hunting, biking, 2500 acres of OHV trails, and all the water activities you want. The weather here is pretty moderate. Maybe a couple of weeks of 0 deg. temps. in the winter, a couple of weeks in the summer with 100+ temps. Other than that, it is usually between 40 and 90 degrees throughout the year, with only moderate storms. And we're not too far from larger cities if you want to go somewhere for a day or weekend: 3 hours from St. Louis, 3 hours from Louisville, 3 hours from Memphis, 1 1/2 hours from Nashville. Good luck! :)

Click Here for Land Between the Lakes

Last edited:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by dklink2000

$270!!?? Wow thats really good!
You ought to see the waiting list to get into these apartments.I waited almost a year and a half to get into one :eek:

Phillip

Top Bottom