WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
FC- About a year after I graduated from college I threw my bike and the rest of my belongings into the back of my Toyota P/U and left the Pacific Northwest for a two-year stint in Houston, TX. That was 12 years ago. :scream:

I've travelled to 44 of the 50 United States. Seen the pyramids in Egypt, a concentration camp in Poland and Ground Zero. My life has completely changed. I met and married a woman that can actually put up with me and we have a wonderful son. I've also made a lot of great friends along the way, many of them right here on DRN.

Twelve years ago I took a chance and I'm glad that I did. Every once in a while I do miss living in the Pacific Northwest, but Seattle is only a plane ride away. After a week there I realize why I left.

Not sure of the exact quote, but "the joy is in the journey not the destination."

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by WoodsRider

Twelve years ago I took a chance and I'm glad that I did. Every once in a while I do miss living in the Pacific Northwest, but Seattle is only a plane ride away. After a week there I realize why I left.

Not sure of the exact quote, but "the joy is in the journey not the destination."

WR, I think that says it all :thumb:

FC22, You know what you feel in your heart. Follow that and enjoy!

Phillip

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
DirtWeek has a strange effect on people for sure... last year my life was quite a bit different during DW.... but the stars aligned and I followed what I know in my soul is right and things keep getting better daily.

Good luck on your quest.... Just find it soon so you can put in for vacation next year for DW03

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Originally posted by Thump
Good luck on your quest.... Just find it soon so you can put in for vacation next year for DW03

Amen.

Coming back to Ca was nice but, the people out in the middle of this fine country kick major butt. It's just a way of life out there, everyone out here is in it for themselves and money. They've lost the real reason for living, being good and kind to others. Of course there are a good group of nice folks out here, and thanks to DRN I found them. If I had to pick up and go, anywhere, no restrictions, I'd go for upper east coast above NY maybe, or down in LA or Alabama. When you posted your intentions, it probably got alot of us thinking about where we'd live if we had the chance. It goes to show how many great places there are in our country and since you have a good heart, it doesn't matter where you end up, it'll be paradise for you. Godspeed.
Elk

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I'm not sure how much this helps but whether the end result was good or bad I've rarely regretted the chances I've taken to pursue things that seemed important at the time. For me (and probably lots of other folks) the regrets come more from things I could have done and didn't .

Job security and the veneer of safety or comfort we attach try to attach to it seems IMHO to be seriously overrated.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Yeah, take a chance. If you decide to investigate the Southern Progress position, you're more than welcome to stay here. I have an extra room. I'll even help you with the correct pronunciation of "y'all". :thumb:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by Thump
DirtWeek has a strange effect on people for sure...

You can say that again!! Red (who was getting burnt out and sick of racing before DW) was trying to convince me to pack up and move to CA on our way home from Cooperland. He figured I could get a accounting/finance job with a moto company and he could do tunnels/bores in CA (considering it's so built up that they have to do a lot of tunneling). Being that we just built a new house 3 months ago... I told him lets wait it out and reconsider at a later time (although it is sooo tempting) :confused:

Good luck - Sharla! You're young and full of energy... go out and try something new! I wish I had the guts to do the same.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Sharla, I hate to sound like a broken record but you always have to follow your heart. What Rich said is very wise. There is a qoute that I really like. "Its better to have been a racer for one day, than a spectator for life".

Ten years ago I was 20 years old. In the Army with about 2 years left on my enlistment. I had been dating this girl on and off for about a year. The relationship grew and it became more serious. One night while I was drivng through Virginia Beach (I still remember that night like it was yesterday) Something just clicked and I knew that this girl I had been dating was the one. A few days later I asked her to marry me. The following week we were married in the back of a real-estate office by a mariage commisioner. We just celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary. I have 3 beautiful daughters and a great life. It may not sound all that meaningful. But if I had listened to my friends and even my own family I would have none of what I do now. I did what my heart told me and I have no regrets......

I think you would really like Idaho. The "real" Idaho not that piece of Washington they call the Idaho pan handle. Boise offers it all. Good jobs. Low crime. Its just big enough to have all the luxuries but not so big we have traffic problems or high crime. We have 3 MX tracks with in 20 minutes of my house. 3 Riding parks with in an hour. And about 100 trailheads with thousands of miles of trails within a 20 minute to 2 hour drive. If you ever want to come down here and check it out you more than welcome to stay at my place. If there is anything I can do to help just let me know.

OBTW we have a branch in Kent Washington and everyone there has tried to put in a transfer to Boise about 20 times....

I wish you all the best. I hope that you get all you want.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
The BLASPHEMOUS 380EXCman spoke the following untruth!
The "real" Idaho not that piece of Washington they call the Idaho pan handle.
Ack! Don't dog my panhandle EXCman! At least it ain't northern Utah. :p

Who do you hate? BOISE STATE!

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Actually spud boys, Montana took the best part of Idaho. :p

B

biglou

Sharla-To paraphrase a Mark Twain quote I saw attached to the bottom of an email I just received the other day: "Twenty years from now when you look back, you will regret the things you didn't try more than those that you did." :)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Wow.

Thank you all so very much. I am exploring a few opportunities right now. Magically, one materialized near Lafayette.

A good friend offered me her spare bedroom while I look for something else so I can get out of the house. I dropped the bomb this morning, he cornered me (while I was doing my hair--there was no escape!) and asked if I was "already gone." While I had planned to wait a few days to be completely sure, I couldn't look him in the eye and say "No."

And so it begins. There are quite a few places in Texas also that sound interesting, and in a few of the "flat" states, and in Colorado, and also Minnesota and Wisconsin. Once I start narrowing it down more I'll ask around about the areas.

The hardest part: what about my dog? :(

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Sharla, I'm sorry you had such a hard start to your day :(

When I got divorced and had to move back into the barracs I had to ship my German Shepard, Nikita, off to my folks. It was even harder to do than getting a divorce. Things have a way of working out for the better in the long run. Don't you have a buddy that could care for the pup in the time being?

Phillip

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Sharla,
I'm no Dr Phil, but from your previous posts/threads it's clear you were trying to work things out.
For what it's worth I think your doing the right thing, a tuff thing, but right.
If there is anything I can do, let me know. I can store your bike or any other large items you don't mind having in a shop or barn until you need them. I promise I won't ride it, much ;)

As for Boise :thumb:

You should hit swapmoto up for a job, or at least he might know some other folks.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Hey MX727, I have a good friend that lives in LA (Lower Arkansas!) as he calls it.

FC, go for it, I'll bet your looking forward to it, the excitment of a new venture. I know how I felt when I moved across the country ..years ago actualy to Idaho! Anyway, you can always go back to what you had, but if you never left to try something else, theres nothing to go back to...... :scream: does that make sense? have fun.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Zoomer, I had a buddy in pilot training. Thick southern accent. He loved when people would ask where he was from. His response, "LA" pause....Lower Alabama. Then he would yuck it up for the next minute. He never got tired of that joke. Can't say the same for the rest of us. :)

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Todd,

I started to post that too. I went to college here in Alabama, and many people refered to LA..."lower alabama" That's anything south of Montgomery.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well, things are moving now . . . life at home is pretty tense but no real explosions yet. I admit to hiding a little, as in the last two days I have been home very little and when I was I hid out in the spare bedroom/office. I went out dancing last night with friends and had a BLAST and today I am joining Bbbom and clan at the mx track.

A good friend offered me her spare bedroom for as long as it takes to make the next step; the fun of moving is next. I hate packing. I will keep all my moving supplies this time I swear! I don't think I've lived in the same place for more than a year since leaving home!

Look in the General forum for my list of places/jobs I am considering.

Thanks again everyone, you have no idea--well, I take that back, of course you do--what a huge support group this is.

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
Yeah moving is no fun. I have not lived in the same place more than ten monthes in the last 6 years. Moved every year in college and now in my third place since graduating less than two years ago. I'm looking for a house to buy so I HAVE to stay in one place for a while. Funny thing is I always loose things in the move. Know idea where they went.

Top Bottom