Apr 29, 2008
Is a 1986 Too old?

Try to include the following info in your first post
1) 5"11 - 200lbs
2) Baby steps first
3) Parks / Tracks / Fun
4) Rode this weekend
5) Race Just freinds
6) Yes, but diagnosing is another issue.
7) Honda?
8) Craigslist
9) 1300$
10) Live in Cali
11) 32

I rode my friends 80cc this weekend and had a blast. I picked it up pretty fast and was able to get going into and out of corners really good. Took one spill, only a rash though.

I was looking at 80cc's on craigslist, but I am starting to think it might be too small for me and I should go with at least a 100cc/full size bike. I really do not want alot of power yet, I just want to learn how to get good first.

My questions are:

Would a Honda CR 125 be a decent size/power for me?

Is getting something already with a green sticker better?

Year of the bike, what would be good years of bike to look at?

Thanks

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
a green stickered CR125 would probably do you fine. I'm not sure what year they quit putting them on two strokes, but you should be able to find one in your price range.

good luck.

broham

Apr 29, 2008
Re

I'm 6'5 200lbs and I just got a KTM 125. I had originally thought i would have to get something bigger but the 125 actually fits me pretty well. I think you'd be fine with the 125 but i recommend you go check a few different sizes out to get an idea of what you feel most comfortable on...

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
I'm 6' and 185 lbs. I just sold my Yz125. It was a great bike. Pretty much indestructible. It could haul me around easily. I now have a Yz250 and love the power. Either or would be fine. If you do get the 250 just take it easy at first. BUt for sure a 125 cc 2 stroke would do you great.

unk

Apr 29, 2008
Thanks that helps alot.

A friend of a friend is selling a 1986 Honda CR 125, Anyone think that would be too old of a bike?

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
Depends totally on the condition of the bike. And how much he wants. If its really clean, and is under $1000, it might be owrth it. Ask him how old the top end is in it.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
unk said:
I was looking at 80cc's on craigslist, but I am starting to think it might be too small for me and I should go with at least a 100cc/full size bike.

An 80cc bike is WAY too small for you. Not only is the power too low but frame would be too small for you to ride safely. I would not recommend a 100cc either.

unk said:
Would a Honda CR 125 be a decent size/power for me?

It is a great size bike. It will NOT be the easist to learn on, however. Two strokes have a "power band" and you need to keep the RPMs in the proper range to have any power at all. This can be very hard for a beginner. Two strokes also do not like to "putt" and you can foul a lot of plugs if you try.

Once you get the hang of it a 125 2-stroke can be a blast to ride. When it comes to climbing hills they can certainly do it but more power does come in handy sometimes.

For the record, I learned on a 1986 YZ-125.

unk said:
Is getting something already with a green sticker better?

Yes, especially if you want to ride in the Forest Service parks.

Where do you live?

There are many private tracks around that you can ride without any registration / sticker at all. Technically you need a red/green sticker, as well as a spark arrestor, for any public land. If you ride the desert areas then you can get away without having the proper registration, but it is still technically required.

I can tell you from first hand experience that it is certainly possible to take a non-registered bike and get the necessary red/green sticker. If you have plenty of time and patience it isn't a big deal. If you hate DMV like I do, it is a pain. My experience is that it required four trips to DMV and one to CHP to get the bike registered.

So, the short answer to your question is that it is better to buy a bike with the sticker. Green sticker is preferred over red. The good news is that to be in your price range you will probably be older than 2002, which means you will get a green sticker.

unk said:
Year of the bike, what would be good years of bike to look at?
Thanks

In general, newer is better. To get into your price range, you will be looking at 10 to 12 years old.

As I stated above I have a '86 YZ-125 (among others). I don't have any problem finding the parts I need to keep it running.

Rod

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
Rod,

I dont necessarily agree with you about his price range. I picked up a VERY CLEAN, freshly rebuilt 01' YZ250, if I had to scale it 1-10 for the shape its in versus brand new, Id give it a 9.0. And I paid $1300 for it.

Now granted, most of them sell for a good bit more than that. But if he is somewhat patient ( Give it a few weeks ) and checks www.craigslist.com in the cycle section every day, he is bound to find one that is in the 2000-ish year range for close to $1000. I check it just about everyday for myself and friends (never know when you'll find a good deal) and there are plenty of newer 2000+ 125's, in good-great shape for anywhere from $1100-1600

Top Bottom