Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Man, I sure don't want to like ANY system that makes 4-strokes louder. You could say I'm Anti-Aftermarket when it comes too exhaust. I haven't gone away from stock on my last 2 thumpers, and the last exhaust I bought was a FMF Q (Quiet) pipe for the YZF250. That being said;

We installed the Big Gun "Race" pipe and can on Thump's CRF250 last weekend after turning a bunch of laps with the stock set-up. Left the jetting alone.

It pains me to say that it seriously woke that bike up. Much snapier throttle response and a lot more right off the bottom... just where the 250 needed it. The result was obvious... corners that required fanning, just rolled on. There was no significant difference at the top, although honestly I was riding hurt and didn't ring it out as much as normal. I'm sure Thump will add his impressions, I heard that 250 SCREAMING for mercy a few times per lap with him on it.

Bottom line; when the aftermarket companies learn how, or are willing to spend the R&D, to get this kind of improvement without the noise, we'll all live happily ever after. The gains were impressive.

Would I buy it? That's a tough decision. While I'd love to have the improvements, I think I'd rather not add to the noise problem. For the price of 4-stroke exhaust, I'm sure Mr. Gorr could hook me up with some head mods and a little larger piston.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Well I took the pipe and header out there so we could ride it stock vs with the Big Gun R. Like Bob said, it put it right where the bike needed it. Most noticable to me was the finishline jump. Pretty good size table top right out of a right hand corner. Going out side on the corner there is never any problem clearing the jump but te inside line cuts off a lot of real estate. In stock fashion going inside I have to work the bike hard and keep it pinned in 2nd until I leave the face to clear it and bounce the revlimiter right as I am leaving. Shifting to 3rd is not an option because you need to shift right as you are on the face of the jump and if you shift early the bike won't get up to speed. Granted I am 220 lbs nekid so I am making the bike work for everything it gives but I always feel like I am going to blow the bike up right there. With the new exhaust the first time out I overshot the landing slightly and did not have to work nearly as hard to get it there, so the next go around I short shift into third and seriously over shot the landing. On the 3rd lap I rolled into the corner in 3rd gear and fanned the clutch a little and I was at speed with time to set up for the jump. It was amazing.

IMO it significantly improved the low and mid range. WAY more snap when you turn it on. Top end feels the same, maybe it pulls a little longer but in stock form the CRF250 has a great top end.

I usually switch back and forth between the 250 and the 450 but I just parked the 450 and rode the wheels off of the new found life of the 250F. Actually ran the tank dry and had to push it back to re-fuel.

As far as noise... it is loud, but no worse than a stock 450 IMO.

I am kicking myself for not doing this sooner.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Thump, you should try their ignition box with the pipe, it will give it a lot more topend.

Big Gun make good stuff, a good mate of mine does quite a bit of the proto testing on the pipes for the 450s. On the honda450, with pipe, BG ignition and U4 gas, i dont know how many holeshots he could get on that thing.

i know they were doing really good aftersales support also- i think if you wreck the pipe and send it back, they will sell you a new one half price or something, dont quote me on that tho.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Good stuff to know Bruce. Yanno Mr. Who used to live with Mike Young (BG Owner) back in the 80's when he moved out to Cali from Mich.

My only complaint was intallation was a biotch and I never figured out the clamp thingy...

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i suspect you just need to get the hang of it, ive seen them pipes go on and off in seconds. The full on BG engines really rip- oversized valves etc.

Ive never met the owner, but i did drive the BG van once when someone had to go home in the helichopper.

Top Bottom