Hartsock

Jul 4, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6'4" 270 lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Starting Easy, but with time who knows...
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Mostly Trail Riding, may try some MX tracks later
4) Do you have any riding experience?
Grew up riding a '94 DR250 dualsport til i snapped the swingarm linkage due to my increasing size. Haven't ridden in 8 years.
5) Do you think you will race ?
Doubtful
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
I will do my own maintenance, but i won't be jetting my carb or boring my own cylinders.
7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Nothing real exotic, no Gas Gas or Aprilla's.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Most brands are available in my area, Nashville, TN.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
Whatever it takes to get a good bike for my size.
10) Do you live in California?
No, Nashville, TN
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I loved riding up thru high school, but my dad's suzuki '94 DR250 was never enough for a guy my size (6'4", 270). I got away from riding during college and now want back in the saddle. I wonder if the 450's are big enough to move me around, but everything i've heard says the old 2 stroke 500's are too much power for anyone to control, and the bigger size bikes now are built mainly for desert racing, which i won't be doing. So i'm not sure where to head. The KTM 525's seem hard to get a hold of, and i would then question their ability to get worked on. Along this same thought process, what modifications would you suggest to compensate for my size (heavier springs, seat height adjustments, etc)? Am I over thinking this? Should i go buy any four stroke 450 or a two stroke 250 and just go ride? I'm not a golfer, but all those guys say that getting fitted for equipment really helps in their game. And i remember trying to overcome the shortcomings of my old, underpowered, inadequately suspended DR250. What do you think?

May 10, 2007
cr500s are alot of power but are not too much power to control.

i would not recomment one though if you havent riden for awhile. the got a lot of pop.

your prob is gonna be that fact that all the big bikes have about the same seat height.

the YZ is the tallest so i would start with that. you can then have lots of different things done to it.

getting the suspensin adjusted to you is probably the biggest and first thing i would do. i would then go from there.

as for pulling you a 450 has loads of power and even more torque to pull you off the start.

Top Bottom