May 1, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6'4" 240lbs bodybuilder frame
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Not enough to kill myself but enough to push myself and have a good time.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
All kinds of trails, fields, all with friends nothing too competitive (beyond bragging rights)
4) Do you have any riding experience?
I have ridden some small bikes and quads. Im not afraid of anything because i have enough skill and sense to not get my #$%* ruined.
5) Do you think you will race ? Only friends and in my head :).
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
I hope to teach myself or i will pay to have stuff done and watch and learn for the next time.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? Not really. Never ridden a 2 stroke but they are cheaper and i am considering a decent 90's 250
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? I will be buying locally used and yes i can get parts for anything here.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? Under $2000 preferably $1200-1500
10) Do you live in California? Nope
11) Your age? 20
I am looking for something that will not lose my intrest on the trails or gravel or in fields. I know that i want atleast a 250 2 stroke but also have seen some tempting honda xr600r in the area that might suit me alright too. I dont want to spend much money on it and plan on waiting on a good deal i just need some ideas as to what would suit me best. I will be riding slow in some dangerous areas on occasion so low end is probably going to be a factor. I also will probably be cruizing down smooth trails and through fields. Hopefully i will not have to put much money into changing the suspension for my weight so that is a factor in my choice also. One more question, where is a good place to get proper gear for a decent price and what would u recommend wearing on trails that wont break the bank. I am wanting to get into the sport and see if it sticks so i dont want to get a whole lot of money wrapped up in it. thanks.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
robbie - at 240 lbs, you may want to try to locate an older CR500, easy to maintain and very reliable. The XR is a good bike, but it's heavy, unless you just want to go out putting around. The newer 4-stroke 450 bikes are nice rides, yet they may be well out of your price range. You may be fine on a 250 2T, but you may out ride it in a short order. I'm at 160 lbs. and sometimes find myself wanting a little more than what my YZ250 can do for me. :whoa:

Best of luck, and welcome to the sport!

MoNSterB03

Oct 2, 2007
yea man being a big guy your gonna want something with a good suspension. I WOULD NOT go with a 250. For the simple fact of prolly bottoming it out alot. Like Rooster said go with a 500 if you can find one, and you cant go wrong with a honda. If you cant find a 500 go with a 450.

MoNSterB03

Oct 2, 2007
yea im 150 6ft. tall, and could ride a 50 but i would choose not 2. im just sayin man, it would suck to get bucked off when ya bottom out.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
I personally think a 250 would be fine. I weigh 225 and 6'4" and ride a 250 2 stroke. Lets remember that a cr500 or a xr600 will not have stiff enough suspension for 240lbs either. A 250 2 stroke will walk all over a xr400 so I would not even think about purchasing one. I think you are on the right track with your 250 2 stroke, one thing you will need to do with any bike you get is to purchase the correct springs for you weight. I dont think it would cost any more than 250.00 for the proper front and rear springs for most bikes. An xr600 may be a good choice but for your price range I dont think you will be able to find one in decent shape for under 3k. I would not recomend a cr500 for a beginner off road rider becase of the power, they are more designed for baja and very open terrain, not so good to learn on for tight trails, I think it would be too much work. Because of the 2t 4t market you should be able to find a good used 250 2t for under 2k. And it will have plenty of power to scoot you well.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
elcamino12sec said:
I would not recomend a cr500 for a beginner off road rider becase of the power, they are more designed for baja and very open terrain, not so good to learn on for tight trails, I think it would be too much work.

I'm going to have to disagree on that statement. I've ridden a few CR500's in my day, and can't say enough about how they are no more work than the rider makes them. The power is always there, and easily manageable, the suspension is very good as well. They are actually quite the good bike for trail riding.

I had the opportunity to buy a CR500, the only reason I passed on it was the fact that I didn't have the funds available.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
MoNSterB03 said:
yea man being a big guy your gonna want something with a good suspension. I WOULD NOT go with a 250. For the simple fact of prolly bottoming it out alot. Like Rooster said go with a 500 if you can find one, and you cant go wrong with a honda. If you cant find a 500 go with a 450.
it doesn't matter what size the bike is in regards to the suspension. Every bike out there (except for minis, of course) are sprung for the 160 lb intermediate. Anyone else is going to want some suspension work.

as a relatively large fellow, I can tell you that you'll have fun on a 250 or 500 2-stroke or an XR600. You might also look into an XR400, as it'll be a tad more nimble than the 600 and freakin' bulletproof. They're out there and they're relatively cheap nowadays. I wish I'd kept mine around for a second bike, but the Mrs. wouldn't go for it. I even told her it could be hers! Again, she was not down with that.

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
If you were willing to spend a little bit more, in my mind, a DRZ-400 would be perfect for you.

Beyond that, get something similiar to what your buddies are running. For $1200 to $1500 your in the early to mid 90's 250 2 stroke range. Go with the cleanest one that you can find. You may even be able to put an older XR-250 or XR-400 on your radar, but that depends on what your buddies are riding, and how much dust you like eating.

vic580

May 9, 2002
I have been riding big bore 2 strokes since 78 with many Honda Cr's over the years,I tried Cr and Kx 250's for a few years but always went back the the big bore,I currently have a 97 Cr500 with the suspension revalved and sprung for my size,6'6" 270lbs.The 450's are nice but they do not have the torque of the 500 to pull you through deep sand and mud or up hills easily.Its all in how you twist the throttle!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom