BlueR1

Oct 30, 2003
hello everyone... i'm new to this site, and i gotta say i like what i see. alot of helpful posts.. and everyone seems to be friendly for the most part.

ok, down to business..... My fiance is wanting to learn how to ride(street), so i thought i'd buy her a dirtbike so she can learn the basics and get comfortable with the clutch, brakes, etc. well, i know i'm getting her the ttr125le, but my question is this:

would a yz85 be rediculous for me? i mean, i only need a play bike to tool around on while riding with her... and i kind of want something to play on, and i can get one alittle cheaper than a big bike. i know i'd have to change the gearing alittle for more grunt down low, and i'd change the suspension set-up also(i'm 5'10 and 200). do alot of guys, or any guys buy these bikes to ride? or am i a serious goofball? lol
to be honest, i'd like a ttr125 too... but, i like the yz80/85 setup more. by the way... i've been riding since i was 11. experience is not the problem for me.

the good thing about this situation is.... once she learns the basics in about a yr or so, she can have the yz85 and i can then get a big bike(wishful thinking with this scenario).

thanks in advance for any helpful postings,
Rich

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
"would a yz85 be rediculous for me?" Yes, at 5'10" and 200 you are way to big to seriously ride it, but might be ok to have some fun on. I would just buy a big bike now and if she wants a different bike in a year or so get her one then. Used full size two stroke dirt bikes are dirt cheap right now.

BlueR1

Oct 30, 2003
the adult in me agrees with ya.... but, the little kid in me wants that yz85. lol brings back memories.

oh, and i'm only 29. lol

i've been thinking about a big bike... i guess i could look at it more long term.

thanks for the input.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I'm 5'8" (When I stretch well in the morning :) ) And I have ridden my son's 80 when someone borrowed my 125 and I can tell you that it's very awkward to ride properly because it's too small to ride standing unless I want to kill my knee's and back.

03YZ85Rider

Aug 8, 2003
There is a big wheel version too for 2004 called the YZ85LW. It sits a bit higher and has a longer wheelbase than the small wheel. It would make the ultimate mini-bike for you!

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
I have ridden a KX100, probably the same size as the LW mentioned above (I'm exactly your size, btw) and it works pretty well for flat trails. I had a lot of fun.

However, since she's probably gonna be slow, a little 4-stroker would make an easier bike to putt around on.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
You might make it by on a 100 and it would be nice on trails because you can throw it around. At 200lbs you might be a load so expect to go through a few clutches. You might want more power and speed too.

BlueR1

Oct 30, 2003
thanks for the input guys... i'm leaning towards a yz250f or wr250f now. i'd rather spend alittle bit more and be able to keep the bike a couple of years.

thanks again,
R.W.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
KTM 105SX..........eh............eh

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
get what you want now - your wife will keep the ttr125le. for that matter you could ride the ttr125le. i am 5'11 180-lbs and i enjoy riding my wifes ttr125le. sure i can squish the suspension but for just around the yard it is fun and easy to toss around... i will often ride it when just my son and i ride easy trails (he is 9 and just learning to hammer his xr70 now).

Jersey420

Apr 24, 2003
I have two 250's and still love rippin on my buddy's old-ass KX 80. theres somethin about the high-end only power thats cool, sound sweet too.

Top Bottom