Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I just got off the phone with my wife who had taken Troy (LazyBoy) out to practice while I went to work for a night shift. Apparently Troy had what appeared to be a minor getoff and then all that could be heard was screaming. A short trip to the small rural hospital near the track revealed that he had broken his tibia in 4 pieces and his fibula in 5 pieces according to the E.R. Doc. They are keeping him in the Hospital overnight then he will be transported by ambulance back to the city to our Children's hospital where he will get assessed before surgery by a pediatric orthopedic surgeon.

During the whole process my wife stated that Troy's entire focus was on the fact that it can't be broken since DW is only a few weeks away. The poor kid is heartbroken that it looks like DW will be a no go for us this year. :(

Talk about a lousy way to spend the rest of your night shift, worried about your kid and bummed about DW :|

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
this is a bad deal for sure, sorry to hear about this.   If it doesn't work out this year, okie will see to it that there are many, many dirt weeks to come, and we all look forward to seeing you next year!

hang in there...

-Scot (motometal)

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Man I HATE reading stuff like this. I guess look at the good side.... Troy is a young pup and should heal up quick. We'll miss you guys - both Red and I were really looking forward to meeting both of you at DW.

HEAL UP SOON TROY!!!

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Chili,

I'm sorry that this has happened to your boy and you. :( Keep us posted about you son.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
That just plan sucks :( Kids heal up amazingly quickly. He will be up and about in no time. Sorry about DW, but like it was said. There will more than likely be one next year to :thumb:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Sad news but family comes first.  Post if you need some help, you've got a lot of friends here.

B

biglou

Dang Chili. That sucks. Tell Troy we'll miss him, and you too. If there's any way he's able to travel, come on down anyway. You'll still have the time of your lives.

CHIP

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2000
Best wishes to your son and to you and your family. I am sure he'll have a fast recovery and will be able to keep his spirits high. Unlike adults, kids bounce back quick. In our prayers!!

(I ofcourse can't show my wife this thread, she already gives me enough grief)

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Give Troy my best! I feel bad for the kid as i wouldnt wish a broken leg on anyone as it hurts.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
That's awful, Chili. Please keep us posted on his surgery results and recovery.

I hope everything goes well.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Thanks for the kind words all. I just got back from the hospital and they are waiting another day until doing surgery so the swelling will hopefully susbside somewhat, either that or the surgeon had an afternoon teetime today :think: I'm off to get some sleep since I've been up for 29+ hours at this point and then I'm off to relieve my wife at the hospital so she can get some sleep. I'll post back after the surgery.

BigLou we were considering still coming down but I think Troy would have a tough time with 20+ hours in the RV each way with a cast from hip to toe.

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Theres way more than riding at DW, although it is a big part of it. The BS around the campground is second to none. Im wishing for the best for Troy's surgury and recovery. I bet watching Bartram, BillyWho, Dr. Dubach and whoeverelse is tearing up the track, would bring a smile to Troys face if he could make the trip. Good luck and get some sleep.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Oh man that's tough Chili, very sorry to hear news like this especially when its from a DRN brother/family :( If you guys don't make it, you'll be missed for sure and we'll plan on putting you both on the "no riding within 3 weeks of DW" list for next year just to be safe. Tell Troy that a lot of folks are :(

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Originally posted by Chili
BigLou we were considering still coming down but I think Troy would have a tough time with 20+ hours in the RV each way with a cast from hip to toe.

Make sure he is really up to this if you plan on doing it. I know afer i broke my ankle in 3 spots i couldnt even stand to have my ankle lower than my body for the first 3 weeks. I was on pain pills for the 25 hour trip home from DW so it didnt really bother me. But once i was off the pain pills i didnt even look forward to the 20min drive to the doctors office.

Of course an RV would be like the living room so it may not be as bad as he could lay on the couch or bed during the trip.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
:(TROY you know better :flame:
This really sucks Eric was as excited about riding with you as just going to DW. There are time when I think the bikes should be parked for the month before DW just to be safe but I'll bet Troy would not have put up with that as he was making sure that RM125 was going to fly.
I hope your surgery goes really smooth and maybe you'll show up at DW to show off that fancy cast (or tinker toys is my guess).

Heal fast either way and we'll see you sooner or later again :thumb: .

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
Chili, that bites. I was looking forward to meeting your spawn.

He will recover well being a youngster. But rehab and sticking to it is a must.

It makes all of us parents cringe when we here about accidents like this to our young un's.

Give him all our best wishes from the DRN crew and see him at DW04.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Man I hate hearing this stuff. :( Hopefully he'll heal quick and at least be a celebrity around school during the cast phase. ;)

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Sorry for the delay on an update. I've been sleeping at the hospital with Troy since Saturday and they seem reluctant to provide me with a online PC to play with while I'm there :think:

The surgery seems to have gone well and they didn't have to plate and screw anything together but were able to get by with pins and K-wires. He is in a terrible amount of pain due to the amount of manipulating they had to do to get the bones lined up correctly but the morphine seems to be helping :p . They are hoping he will be discharged on Wednesday. The Doc says 12 weeks :whiner: in a cast and that Hockey was pretty much a no go for Troy this season for several reasons.

He is doing really well all things considered (just don't mention DW) and has even discussed the fact that maybe he should start next season on an 80 again since he didn't get the second half riding and experience he was hoping for this year, needless to say the Grandparents were thrilled to hear that as I'm sure they had hoped he was ready to quit.

Unfortunately DW is officially a no go for us at this point because he is missing all of this week of school and most likely some of next week before his Doc wants to let him get out of bed, and I also can't see him being able to stand the drive down and back. Off to send Okie an e-mail :whiner:

Troy wanted to say thanks to everyone for the well wishes both in this forum and in my pm's

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
he's young and will bounce back. Tell him there will be other Dirtweeks for him to ridicule us. Keep us tuned on how he's recovering.

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
We also were looking foward to meeting you guys. Man I hate to hear about those accidents. Hope it all goes well. We'll be thinkn of ya.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Sorry to hear about this :( Those young bones heal fast, he'll be back to normal in no time! Sorry to hear I won't get a chance to meet and greet you at DW, next year will be a different story. ;)

Top Bottom