BIG PROBLEM (chain adjuster bolt threads) HELP ME!!!

crfchris450

Jun 3, 2012
bought a used bike recently 2003 crf450 anyways went to back the bolt out snapped so i used someone advice tried drilling the remaining out which screwed the threads all up and in the process the bit snapped what the hell should i do now i have never ever ran into this problem and the reason i was taking it out was to put anti seize in the hole now i have no threads a screwed up hole and a bit remaining in their i DO not want to go get a new swing arm :| :yell: :bang: :pissed:

Last edited:

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
Or if you look for a fix, try to cut in new threads, just a size bigger. You could try to use the american sized bolts, which have a different diameter.

crfchris450

Jun 3, 2012
arnego2 said:
Or if you look for a fix, try to cut in new threads, just a size bigger. You could try to use the american sized bolts, which have a different diameter.

thats what im going to try and do but shes pretty dang mangled worst case scenario i will take it to where i used to work fill the the hole drill and retap was hoping for something easier haha its always the smaller things that give the most irritation just glad its a practice bike

crfchris450

Jun 3, 2012
RM_guy said:
I have never had to use one but you can buy a kit to fix it. I'm sure someone here has had experience with it before.

from what i read i thought it was only for 2 strokes?? i might have misunderstood something which is very possible im going to have to check into it a little more dont really want to spend a few hours welding the hole drilling it out and retapping it but thanks for the feedback

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
crfchris450 said:
from what i read i thought it was only for 2 strokes?? i might have misunderstood something which is very possible im going to have to check into it a little more dont really want to spend a few hours welding the hole drilling it out and retapping it but thanks for the feedback
I don't believe it is limited to 2 strokes and you don't have to weld anything. You drill out the old bolt (and broken drill bit) and place this device in the hole. The rectangular shape prevents it from turning and becomes the new tapped hole that the adjuster bolt pushes against.

Those chain adjuster bolts are only meant to set the chain tension...not hold it in place. The axle nut does that.

crfchris450

Jun 3, 2012
thanks rm_guy i didnt spring for the swingarm buddy although found out it will also work for 4 strokes. i just decided to bring it to a local shop where i used to work fish the bit out, fill the hole, redrill and retap it so its just like new. anyways i will have to keep the swingarm buddy in mind especially if im out on the trails or something seems like a real quick fix rather then doing it the way i did. greatly appreciate the info this is the first time this has ever happened so with buying any used bike im sure im going to run into a snag or 2 reworking it.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Not saying it's the best idea, but I've ran bikes for long periods of time with no chain tensioner bolts in the swingarm. I think your fix is probably the best long-term solution short of buying new arm.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
crfchris450 said:
thanks rm_guy i didnt spring for the swingarm buddy although found out it will also work for 4 strokes. i just decided to bring it to a local shop where i used to work fish the bit out, fill the hole, redrill and retap it so its just like new. anyways i will have to keep the swingarm buddy in mind especially if im out on the trails or something seems like a real quick fix rather then doing it the way i did. greatly appreciate the info this is the first time this has ever happened so with buying any used bike im sure im going to run into a snag or 2 reworking it.
You did put some anti-seize or grease on the new adjuster bolts didn't you?

Top Bottom