Big Rider Mods

TaxPhd

Dec 29, 2003
I am a big guy - 6'3", 225#, and my bike ('04 KDX200) is a little cramped. What would you recommend for bars/clamps that would make it a bit more comfortable?

Is there enough adjustment in the stock suspension for me, or will I need some new parts?

I am a pretty new rider. This is my first bike, bought at the end of December. I rode friends bikes off and on over the years, so I am not a total newbie. I would guess that my riding style is "mildly aggresive" if that's not too much of an oxymoron. ;-)

Just looking for suggestions on how to get the most out of my bike.

Thanks!

Scott

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
TaxPhd said:
I am a big guy - 6'3", 225#, and my bike ('04 KDX200) is a little cramped.

Well your going to need new front and rear suspenders as the stock KDX suspension is seriously out of balance. The front is only good for about 130lbs the back is set closer to 180lbs. There are several good posts on fork and shock spring upgrades. A popular choice are XR400 springs, but at your weight even the .40's would be a little light. As far as bar and clamps go, thats kind of an individual thing, but CR High Bend Fatbars and adapters sure seem nice to me. You can also get taller seat foam (as well as softer than stock) and a new gripper seat cover which would help your riding position on the KDX. Also if you haven't done it already consider doing the new bike prep on the justkdx.dirtrider.net site. The bikes come from Kawi with little to none in grease department. Spend the weekend tearing it down and greasing it now, or pay the price for new bearings later.

-Maurice

Twiztid One

~SPONSOR~
Aug 19, 2003
buying high bend bars and turning your handlebar clamps around will give you a little bit more room . the kdxs are real plush up front they are set up for a 145lb rider , springs are a must . i just bought mine from jeff fredette for $60 but you can also use XR400 springs or race tech springs and go with a heavier weight oil will help .

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Twiztid One said:
buying high bend bars and turning your handlebar clamps around will give you a little bit more room.

Forgot about turning the handlebar clamps around, on my 89 that doesn't seem to work to well :-)

-Maurice

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…