Big Spring Change, what about the clickers

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
My son has gained a lot of weight yet has not grown in height yet. So I'm looking at a 14 1/2 year old kid that weighs almost 160lbs but is still tippy toed on his KX85. We have enough engine for now as it is an Eric Gorr stroker motor, and he is not very aggressive. We are just easy going trail riders, but I want him to be properly sprung as not to get hurt.

Stock fork and shock springs are:
.29kg & 4.8kg

We will be going to fork and shock springs:
.33kg & 5.4kg

This is a big jump in spring rates, so do I need to drastically change the compression on the forks and the compression and rebound on the shock?

I understand that turning clickers clockwise makes the compression stiffer. But does turning clockwise make the rebound faster or slower (I'm thinking slower)? This has always confused me. Short of a re-valve, I don't know how to compensate for such a large change in spring rates. Please Help a dad out!

Last edited:

kawamaha

Mar 16, 2005
griffbones said:
But does turning clockwise make the rebound faster or slower (I'm thinking slower)?

yep, clockwise means slower!

maybe add 2-3 clicks to compensate for the stiffer spring

as you are trail riders, I don't think you have to stiffen the compression damping. most trail riders soften that to have a plush ride, so now it should work better than months before ;)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The clickers being off? How about the valving? The clickers are trial and error, and watch what your son/bike are doing. Being a slower rider saves the valving change, for now. If he gets faster, it may be time. You really need a shop manual for that bike. It will go in solid detail about setting the sag, and fine tuning with the clickers. specifically for that bike, not mine, and his riding style. I have a friend who makes the jump from stock to a 10kg springs, without a valving change, he is old and slow though. You may try thicker/more oil also. I did not think 160 was that for off the 85, I was thinking 140 was what it came set for? Vintage Bob

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
The clickers being off? How about the valving? The clickers are trial and error, and watch what your son/bike are doing. Being a slower rider saves the valving change, for now. If he gets faster, it may be time. You really need a shop manual for that bike. It will go in solid detail about setting the sag, and fine tuning with the clickers. specifically for that bike, not mine, and his riding style. I have a friend who makes the jump from stock to a 10kg springs, without a valving change, he is old and slow though. You may try thicker/more oil also. I did not think 160 was that for off the 85, I was thinking 140 was what it came set for? Vintage Bob

I have the service manual and it clearly shows the break down of the forks, but does not mention anything about clicker or valving changes with spring changes. Also, Kawasaki doesn't make springs this stiff for the little KX85, so I have to go with after market for the springs. The stock spring rates on this bike are good for about 115 lbs. My son is now 160 lbs, although I expect him to have a jump in his height anytime now, then we will go to a full size bike. This will probably be a short time thing so I don't really want to spend for a re-valve if I don't have to. I was just worried that the rebound might be too fast with this much increase in spring rates both front and rear. Unfortunately the forks only have compression clickers on the KX85's, no re-bound clickers. The shock has both compression and rebound clickers.

Top Bottom