bigbear08

Jul 27, 2009
the ones i know of are the cr 500 and the yz 490. are there any other bigbore 2-stroke dirtbikes? what one handles the best? what one has the most power with a pipe? i am going to have $2000 to spend on a dirtbike around october and im trying to find out what one is the best. thanks for any help you can give me.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
KX500 from Kawasaki.

TM and Maico also make big bores along with ATK

They are all outdated. THe Yz490 is not even water cooled. THe KX500 has power valves, so a bit better power band, but the ergos are 1986. At least the CR500 has mid 90s ergos on them. The cr500 has a steel bore and no power valves. Very cheap maintenance.

But best thing to get a MPS or Service Honda AF unit. Current aluminum frame from a CRF or KXF with a 500 motor in it.

bigbear08

Jul 27, 2009
if i could afford it, i would get one of them! but i will only have the $2000 to get something because im still in highschool and without a job. im getting the money from social security, so unfortunately i wont have anymore to spend. what is the difference between the seating on the yz 490, the cr 500, and the kx 500? i have seen several 490's going really cheap, so i could spend money on gear and upgrades for it. does the 490 overheat more than the liquid cooled 2-strokes? i know it will have less power being air cooled, but a bike that size will have as much power as i can use. my main consern is the handling and overheating. i do alot of woods riding and trails. how could i make them handle better if i got one for less than $2000?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Ok, let me get this straight. You're a high school kid who trail rides and you want a 500. I hope you have been riding since you were in diapers cause you will seriously injure yourself in the woods with a 500. A friend of mine bought a cr500 when I was in 11th grade. I would take a group of us to get it started when cold, compression is impressive. Once running it would either pitch us off, or loft the front end and go straight for the neerest tree. The bike (or one of us) was ALWAYS broken. Ever try to ride a 500 with no clutch lever?

Seriously, look for a bike you can enjoy, not be scared of. I know there's always the desire to have the "fastest bike" but it is not the bike that goes fast, it is the rider. Wanna really impress your buddies? Go get a small bike and learn to ride it really fast. Then you can smoke all of them on big bikes through the woods. The second fastest kid I rode with in high school was on an XR100. He could SMOKE guys on full size MXers through the woods.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
_JOE_ said:
Ok, let me get this straight. You're a high school kid who trail rides and you want a 500. I hope you have been riding since you were in diapers cause you will seriously injure yourself in the woods with a 500. A friend of mine bought a cr500 when I was in 11th grade. I would take a group of us to get it started when cold, compression is impressive. Once running it would either pitch us off, or loft the front end and go straight for the neerest tree. The bike (or one of us) was ALWAYS broken. Ever try to ride a 500 with no clutch lever?

Seriously, look for a bike you can enjoy, not be scared of. I know there's always the desire to have the "fastest bike" but it is not the bike that goes fast, it is the rider. Wanna really impress your buddies? Go get a small bike and learn to ride it really fast. Then you can smoke all of them on big bikes through the woods. The second fastest kid I rode with in high school was on an XR100. He could SMOKE guys on full size MXers through the woods.

Me and my friend can beat 450's in harescramble trails on our 85's :) .

bigbear08

Jul 27, 2009
the reason i want a 500 is because im not the smallest guy around.(gonna be 19 in october, 6'1 and 255lbs) plus, when i was riding my friends 250 rmx, it didnt have the low end power that i wanted. so i figure a 500 will have more power down low and alot more when the powerband kicks in. but i dont want to get a 4-stroke because it will cost more when it breaks down, and doesnt have that arm pulling hit like a 2-stroke. :) i know i could always put a bigger sprocket on the back of a 250 and make it work, but im really looking to get a 500.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
bigbear08 said:
the reason i want a 500 is because im not the smallest guy around.(gonna be 19 in october, 6'1 and 255lbs) plus, when i was riding my friends 250 rmx, it didnt have the low end power that i wanted. so i figure a 500 will have more power down low and alot more when the powerband kicks in. but i dont want to get a 4-stroke because it will cost more when it breaks down, and doesnt have that arm pulling hit like a 2-stroke. :) i know i could always put a bigger sprocket on the back of a 250 and make it work, but im really looking to get a 500.

It depends on how much experience you have. That 250 should have pulled you around just fine, if not, something was wrong with it. so anyways, how much experience do you have? If the only thing you have ridden is the rmx250, you are definitley not ready for a 500. Another choice could be the KTM 300, but that would cost more.

bigbear08

Jul 27, 2009
the 250 rmx does pull me good, but i want a bigger 2-stroke . i do have a an 84 yamaha xt 250 4-stroke, but thats in pieces on my bench. how much more low end power does a 500 have over a 250?

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
bigbear08 said:
the 250 rmx does pull me good, but i want a bigger 2-stroke . i do have a an 84 yamaha xt 250 4-stroke, but thats in pieces on my bench. how much more low end power does a 500 have over a 250?

tons more. If you know anyone that owns one, try to ask them if you can ride it. I am not saying you can't handle it or anything, just that you would probably want something else that is'nt as punishing. You can buy one if you want to, just remember that it is a VERY strong bike :cool:

J-man

May 16, 2007
Look into a 250, It would do you way better. Something was off on the one you had ridden before because a 250 will be able to throw anyone around. A 500 is just too much for someone who is going to be riding in the woods with little to no experience.

plynn41

Jun 8, 2009
Dude, I don't want to talk down to you--REALLY. But I think from reading your posts that you would be ill-advised to get any big-bore 2 stroke. I understand the macho thing and I'm a sucker for wanting the baddest bike in a group. But really, you won't be happy with a 500, and you'll end up looking silly. Good luck with whatever you get.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
BB, listen to these guys. There is alot of experience on this thread telling you not to buy a 500 2 stroke...think about that. Do you think all of these people on this thread are wrong? Only experienced riders should even saddle up to a big bore 2 stroke for a test ride. I have been riding on and off for about 26 years and I wouldnt buy a 2 stroke 500....even if they still made them. Just because you are big, doesnt mean you need 56 horsepower. If your mind is set on a 2 stroke, buy a 250 and be done. Just like many have said, a fast bike doesnt make you ride faster if you cant control the power...it just makes you more dangerous. I have a YZ400F and have been smoked by smaller bikes....its all about the rider.

plynn41

Jun 8, 2009
Think about this: What is going to bring you the most pleasure? 1)Having the baddest bike in town, or 2)Being able to ride effectively and smoothly.

If the answer is #1, then buy any old big bore 2 stroke and a good insurance plan. If the answer is #2, then get a 250 2T or 450F.

I guess it's all about what makes you happy. But I'd bet a tankful of premix that you'd enjoy your riding alot more if you take route #2.

bigbear08

Jul 27, 2009
if i were to get a 450 4-stroke, what would i be looking at maintenance wise on one? how often would the valves need to be adjusted? i did see a 2002 ktm 520 4-stroke that was close to my price range, but doubt it will be there long. the other 450's that are close to $2000 are yz 450's. how are they for maintenance?

plynn41

Jun 8, 2009
I don't have one, so I'm not the best to answer. But I've been told by those who trail ride them that they can get by with servicing the valves once a year. Obviously, this isn't true for one that gets seriously raced. But let someone else who's got one tell you...
BTW, I'm 200 pounds, been riding for 40 years, and my cr250r is more than I can handle, and I think it would carry you plenty fast.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I would imagine a 450F would be out of your price range...especially if you factor in a helmet and boots, at a minimum. New generation 4 strokes are really high maintenance....that is why I recommended a 250 2 stroke.

bigbear08

Jul 27, 2009
i have seen a 450 4-stroke going for $2150 on the want ad digest, but i would still have to get some good boots. i do have helmets to use though. if i cant get a 450 4-stroke, i will probably be getting a 500 2-stroke because during some hill climbs, the 250's powerband makes it kinda outa control. so i figure a 500 would have more down low power like a 4-stroke, and i would be able to control it better than a 250 because of this.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I own a KX500 and it's hard to tell you not to buy one BUT it's not the best beginners bike for sure. Cut your teeth on a 250 for a season or two then move up if you still feel the need. 500s are the bitchenest!

bigbear08

Jul 27, 2009
is the 500 power as abrupt as a 250? even if it is, it has to have more power than a 250 when not in the powerband. i have been riding atvs/atcs since i was 10 years old, so i dont think im lacking experience.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
bigbear08 said:
i i have been riding atvs/atcs since i was 10 years old, so i dont think im lacking experience.

We'll be sure and tell that to the MediVac pilot as they are taking you away. :bang:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
A 500 is in NO WAY easier to ride than a 250. A modern 250 with a power valve will be a MUCH more rideable trail bike. The hit can be smoothed very effectively with tuning and inexpensive mods.

I am done with this thread, good luck.

J-man

May 16, 2007
_JOE_ said:
I am done with this thread, good luck.
Im right behind ya on that.

ATV's are nothing, they are crap and give you no experience when you move over to bikes. You think that a 500 will be nicer climbing up hills? ARE YOU HIGH? A 500 will throw you off the back going up a hill, That is if you can make it to the hill alive. Everyone on this thread is telling you not to do it, Does it occur that there might be a reason for that. Just consider the 250 and you will be much safer and have more fun.

bigbear08

Jul 27, 2009
ok, if i were to get a 250 2-stroke, what one has the best handling? i really liked the handling of my 84 xt 250, all it needed was a better engine(mine is on the bench in pieces). i figure i could just spend the money i was going to use on that bike to get a better(newer) bike. what 250TS would have the best handling for a person my size?(6'1 250lbs) if i got a 250TS that handles corners good i would be satisfied with the power of it. its just that i dont want it to corner like my friends RMX 250. his bike feels VERY top heavy compared to the xt 250. can i just get a lowering kit and some better valving/spring to get the bike i want? if so, that is all i need.

Top Bottom