teamhex

May 25, 2010
1) I am 6'3" 290lbs
2) Im Tall Fat
3) Trails....Road
4) I have 5mins on a Suzuki 125(4stroke)
6) I might be able to work on my bike I am semi mechanically inclined
7) 4 stroke
9) Depends...but really its whatever
10) Do you live in California? No(Texas)
11) Your age? 22

I'm going to attempt to borrow my buddys 125cc to learn a bit more and im receiving an older 350(maybe) from my dads friend. But i'd like something a bit newer. So im thinking ill just buy a newer used one. I'm a big dude so what bikes would you guys recommend?
It may be a toughy considering I don't have much time on bikes and im a big guy. If possible a Dual Sport would be cool.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
a honda xr250 or similar does suit your needs. they are very reliable, easy, capable bikes. if you want buy used there are loads of them, they are popular bikes.
if you are woried about your size maybe the best option is the xr400...

teamhex

May 25, 2010
helio lucas said:
a honda xr250 or similar does suit your needs. they are very reliable, easy, capable bikes. if you want buy used there are loads of them, they are popular bikes.
if you are woried about your size maybe the best option is the xr400...
Im sure the 250cc would be enough. Id like a big bike with the 250cc in it. Do they make them like full sized? Like one of those bikes most people cant even get on?

I was surprised at what power his 125cc had.
I saw his brother in law and sister on it at the same time. So there was at least 550lbs on it, lol.

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
I had a 2001 XR400 for a couple of years, great bike. I would recommend that bike for your size. The 250 may not have the power that you need. The 400 is what I started on, easy to ride and plenty of power.

teamhex

May 25, 2010
GoldDrum said:
I had a 2001 XR400 for a couple of years, great bike. I would recommend that bike for your size. The 250 may not have the power that you need. The 400 is what I started on, easy to ride and plenty of power.
Iv got a Suzuki Eiger quad. Its called a 400, but its like a 362cc. I would say thats more then enough power for a bike. Maybe I should just get the 400cc and be done with it then. I'm sure ill start to wish I had got a bigger bike if I get the 250cc.

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
Bike power is much more than a quad for the size. I think you will be happier on the 400, it is heavier than the 250, but the smaller 250 would probably get boring after a while. I really liked mine, I have lost weight, but was 6' and 210lbs. Got rid of it because the son wanted to do more track riding so went with the lighter, more powerful bike.

Kx85Krazy

Mar 14, 2008
Many guys that i know of ride the big drz650 dual sport suzukis, but the new klx500 is a great dual sport. You can outfit them with practically everything, and they're strong running too. One thing you may want to consider is how you want your suspensions. Woods means soft, so a xr250 would be alright, but be prepared to drop a few grand on a nice bike.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I'm 5' 20", a biscuit short of 300 lbs, and I rode an XR400 for years. You can probably pick one up pretty reasonable. Virtually unchanged except for maybe some carb issues resolved from their introduction in 1996 to the end of the run in (I think) 2004.

Wish I'd kept it around.

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
I believe my 01 XR400 is rated at 250 pounds You will have to modify the suspension for just about any bike you buy...but that is not particularly complicated. The XR400 is an excellent bike for beginners...its low maintenance and has smooth managable power. If you were experienced, I would probably recommend a Yamaha WR450 or a KTM450EXC.

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
Whether it is a "good bike" depends on the repairs required. If it was free and needs minimal repair, I say ride it until you get bored with it or something breaks. If you are going to sink some money into the bike getting in operating condition, I would not bother. Those bikes arent worth much when they are running flawlessly. They (the 80s XR, XL series) were very heavy and the suspension is not even comparable to modern day suspension. They also had a goofy 2 carburetor setup that is hell to tune properly. We owned an '84 XR500 for many years. I thought it was great back then, but by todays standards it was a pig.

teamhex

May 25, 2010
YZ__rider said:
Whether it is a "good bike" depends on the repairs required. If it was free and needs minimal repair, I say ride it until you get bored with it or something breaks. If you are going to sink some money into the bike getting in operating condition, I would not bother. Those bikes arent worth much when they are running flawlessly. They (the 80s XR, XL series) were very heavy and the suspension is not even comparable to modern day suspension. They also had a goofy 2 carburetor setup that is hell to tune properly. We owned an '84 XR500 for many years. I thought it was great back then, but by todays standards it was a pig.
Well it depends man, I know for sure the carb needs to be pulled off and cleaned. Iv already done the gas tank. The rims look real bad though, I dont know if their even usable. I mean its like their starting to peel and push outward, the tires seem good though. The only other thing is I wasn't getting spark, at least that I could see.

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
Cleaning the carb is basically free...thats not a big deal. Rims can be a big deal...nobody should be riding on damaged rims...especially someone of your size. You would either have to buy a set of used wheels (hubs, rims, spokes) on Ebay or buy rims and have them laced...both would be fairly expensive..especially the 2nd option. No spark can be caused by a whole host of issues.

Keep in mind the issues you noted are only those that you are aware of. From somebody who has been there and done that...run. Go buy a 97-04 XR400, adjust the suspension, and ride.

Top Bottom