Homer88

Jun 8, 2001
yo guys.

I'm really confused.
For better acceleration, wouldn't a bigger carb be
better than a smaller carb?

I understand that a smaller carb would have more power
in the lower-end but by the time it hits the ceiling,
the bigger carb would keep pulling ain't it?

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
The smaller carb has increased air/fuel velocity at low and midrange, giving better throttle response. A larger carb will flow more air/fuel at higher rpm and give more top end and higher peak hp.

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
Unlike many things when it comes to carbs, bigger is seldom better. The bigger the carb, the less pressure difference between the fuel bowl and the point at which the air flow passes the main needle jet orifice. The less pressure difference means that there is less of a 'signal' to allow fuel to flow from the fuel bowl into the air flow. Too large a carb will result in a flat spot when the carb transfers between pilot and main fuel delivery system. Also due to the lower air speed through the carb, atomisation of the fuel mixture will be poor, resulting in reduced horsepower. If you have to make a choice between larger or smaller carbs, go for smaller every time, and then fine tune the delivery of fuel using the jets, airscrew, needle etc...

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Sully how do you account for the 39.5mm carb on the ktm 125? Bigger than most 250 carbs and yet it is without question the fastest 125. I am not saying you are wrong, but it would seem that bigger is better in some cases.

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
OK thanks, I was not aware of the KTM bigger carb(my RM has a 38mm) so it is slightly bigger you are right, and it certainly is the quickest 125 out there, without knowing the bore/stroke ratio and how it stacks up against the others it is not a straight comparison.
I was simply advising Homer88 that if he is going to shell out for a larger carb and assuming that a quicker bike will be the result it is certainly not the case, and he may be wasting his £££...sorry $$$

elf

Jun 7, 2003
SULLY said:
I was simply advising Homer88 that if he is going to shell out for a larger carb and assuming that a quicker bike will be the result it is certainly not the case, and he may be wasting his £££...sorry $$$

Thats good advise as in most cases a smaller carb will give you a better over all powerband.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…