thr_wedge

Sep 3, 2007
I'm looking to get into riding and would like some suggestions. I'll try and answer all of the questions and put in anything else relevanet. I've wanted a dirt bike since I was about 8 (second grade, friend's father down the street had an old Husky in the garage)...20 years later I might actually be able to get one.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'10", 190lbs or 200+ with gear on.
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
I don't mind manhandling the bike if necessary. Always liked hitting jumps on my MTB, like to drive fast but at the same time value balance to sheer power...would rather carry speed through a corner than have to shed it all and then power out. Make sense?
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Mix of trails and Mx, both of the tracks near me have some trail loops available. I am also very interested in adventure riding (basically motorcycle touring but off highway).
4) Do you have any riding experience?
Just a bicycle...so that would be a no.
5) Do you think you will race ?
Nope, don't plan on racing.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
I am in the process of restoring a 1964 Mercury Comet. I refuse to go to the mechanic for anything. Doing mechanical work is 75% of the fun for me :-) So yes, I am mechanically inclined.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Leaning towards 4 stroke as most of the street legal and national forest approved bikes are 4 stroke.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Plan to buy used. I live in Austin TX, there are dealers for everything but I will likely use Craigslist to purchase bike.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
Would like to stay under $2k if at all possible but willing to go upper-limit of $4k
10) Do you live in California?
TEXAS all the way! So no...
11) Your age?
28 and getting older :-(
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
Like I said adventure riding is appealing to me, mostly want to ride trails but the occasional blast on the MX course would always be fun. Street legal is a plus so I could ride to the track, woods, camping, etc. but not a requirement I can always tow it.

All I can think of at the moment. Let me know if there are more questions that will help y'all out.

Last edited:

Thumper96

Sep 3, 2005
I would maybe look into a CRF 450x or the WR 450 both great bikes great for woods and you can take an occasional blast on the track with them and they have that nice e start button :nod:

thr_wedge

Sep 3, 2007
Very cool, thanks for the tips. I have been thinking either the 400s or 650s.

Can either of those bikes be converted for street legal?

I've read some great things about the Suzuki DR-Z400S (dual sport) and heart that it is about 75% dirt/25% street. Any riders use them off-road? I know that a lot of the dual sport bikes are really more street bikes...I would want just a street legal dirt bike for getting to the track/camping/etc.

Jan 3, 2007
thr_wedge, the best possible off road dual sports are KTM 450EXC, or 525EXC, Husqvarna TE250, TE450 or TE510. As far as the DR-Z goes, you best off buying a DR-Z400 off road and buy a street legalization kit from baja desings for a more dirt worthy ride.

Top Bottom