Defused

Apr 29, 2006
I went riding for about 4 hours or so on my 2000 Suzuki DS80 and the bike ran perfectly. Their were mad puddles and some were really deep but it didnt affect the bike while I was there. When I got home(about 1 hour drive) I fired the bike up and at first it didnt want to idle, i figured it was cold, but it was blowing out thick white smoke. I took the carb off, drained the bowl and everything completly, drained the gas and put new in, but its still blowing white smoke. Not as bad as before but still doing it. I noticed that theres oil leaking out of my pipe too, where it connect to the jug.

Any ideas? I want to go riding monday so hopefully this is nothing major.

Ill post more info later if needed. thanks.

Defused

Apr 29, 2006
Didnt think of that. Talked to my moms bf and he said if theres a little water in the filter enough to be sucked into the motor then that would cause the white smoke. Ill clean it real good right now, let it dry out then dab a little bit of oil on it to help collect dirt. Is there any other possibilitys to this? Im hoping this solves it.

While im at it, I need some crankcase oil, any reccomendations on that? I dont have a manual for my bike or anything and te dealer just said yamalube, but what weight?

Bryan F

Feb 19, 2006
White smoke means that there is coolant getting in to the combustion chamber. I am willing to bet that the problem is far greater then a bit of water in the pipe or something? Check your coolant level and see what the level is.........i bet its low. If this is the case, you won't be riding on the weekend.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
By chance was it raining on your way home?

Steam is often mistaken as white smoke. A little bit of water in the system can vaporize and come out the exhaust as steam. If that is what it is, then the question is where is the water coming from?

You said it was air cooled so no cooling system leaks.

On a four cycle engine any water that entered through the carburetor would end up in the cylinder, which would cause very bad things to happen because water doesn't compress. It doesn't take much to get a "hydrolock"

On a two stroke, anything that enters the carburetor has to first pass through the crankcase. It is intended that the oil that is mixed with the gas will settle out of the gas and lubricate the crank. If there was water that entered it could settle in the crank case as well. It is possible that during your mud rides you sucked up some water and there is a fair amount in the crankcase, and now it is slowly turning into vapor, getting drawn into the cylinder, flashed to steam and blown out.

It is also possible that the exhaust pipe filled with water and the hot exhaust is turning it to steam and blowing it out.

Either way, the problem should correct itself fairly quickly IF it is steam and not some other form of smoke.

I would be a little worried about what water in the crank might have done to the bearings and such, however. Water in the pipe would not be any worry at all.

Defused

Apr 29, 2006
Looks to be fine now. Drained the remaining nasty crankcase oil and put some new 10w-30 back in. (As was told from the dealer. Now its just the normal blue smoke, nothing major. Im happy. lol.

sunnyboy

Feb 24, 2003
the white smoke is prob ably coolant .pos head gasket---could also be tranny oil you did say you were low.is it using it.you can use motor oil .30wt is usually fine --drain it and lok at it then fill up with fresh and see if it uses any

souphmars

Mar 8, 2004
were u just putting around that day? - the oil may not have burned completely and when u got it home and got it warm it burned the oil that was left over in the pipe

Defused

Apr 29, 2006
Nah, I mean it was basicly trail riding but i was riding really hard in the fields. Not sure what the problem was, but i went to start it the next day of riding, and when i revved it it would blow the white smoke. I drained the oil out of the gearbox and put 650ml back in, then ran it up and down my road a few times to see if that helped. I think i blew whatever was causing the white smoke out because the first lap it was kinda bad, then back it wasnt as bad at all, and finally the other 2 lasp it was the regular blue smoke. Like I said I think it had to do with low crank oil, but im not totally sure.

Top Bottom