woodsrider823

Aug 8, 2005
Hey just got my 00 cr80 running and went out to ride it and it seems to bog off idle so much that it actually dies, you have to rev it like crazy and drop the clutch just to go. I messed with the air screw and it didnt help at all. Any other ideas?

Blink-182

Feb 2, 2008
how long had it been sitting first thing id do is clean out your carb and i mean everything pilots main all the goodies and look at your airfilter to see if its clean

woodsrider823

Aug 8, 2005
haha I know kind of weird, it was a little on the black side, but not terrible. DO you think just someone put the wrong sized jets in there?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
What size are the jets? Is the needle good and stock? Has anyone ever ported or modified the head? Reeds are good? You will need to take a clean plug and run it where it has issues. Is the plug wet or dry, rich or lean? When is the last time you did a leak down test? Is it chugging smoke? What is the temperature where ever you reside? Elevation?

woodsrider823

Aug 8, 2005
Jets are stock, been in there since it was bought in 00 and look good. head is stock, I havnt checked the reeds that will be todays project. Just rode it again and the plug is black on the threds, and the tip is dry and a little black but mostly its original color. To be honest I dont know what a leak test even consists of, no smoke and the temperature here is around 40s 50s (still waiting for snow to melt just trying to get bikes preped) at about 1500 feet. Hope this helps. And cr85re the bike is not going to be ridden by me its for a young beginer so having to rev the bike and drop the cluth just to get started isnt really an option, nor should it have to be with any two stroke. Im gunna check the reeds and get back to you guys on how they look. Thanks for all the replys.

woodsrider823

Aug 8, 2005
Sorry meant about 700 feet, and the main jet is actually a 122 which it should be a 125 for summer here. but still I dont think that would makre the difference that I am seeing in how it runs. The other thing I had a question about is that on my needle jet (not jet needle) there is that extra nut like a lock nut or something. I think I messed with it when I was cleaning the jets, what should the position of that be? thanks

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Screw the seat all the way in, and then tighten the lock nut? Sounds like you live by me?? You should be running a larger main in the cold. Start with the 125 main and 45 pilot. Lean it out in the summer. Decent 2 stroke oil and premium gas. Good clean air filter and make sure the reeds are closed and intact. What kind of plug? Check out the leak down kit from motion pro. You seal the engine and put a few pounds of air in it and time how long it holds pressure. Only method that I know of to check the bottom end for leaks. The crank seals can go bad and cause all sorts of issues.

woodsrider823

Aug 8, 2005
Yea just checked the reeds and they look fine and the gap is right. The plug is a BR9EG the manual calls for a BR10EG. I tried it out again and it did the usual bog untill dieing thing if you tried to start like normal and after 2 or 3 times dying it wouldnt fire back up. after pushing it back to the garage I checked the plug and it still makes spark, and after letting it sit it fired up again. This bike really is a mystery

woodsrider823

Aug 8, 2005
50. I just brought it out again after assembling everything after the reed check and it didnt bog this time, it smoked alot more, and when I hit the brakes to stop, if i didnt give the throttle a blurp it would die, then idle fine. But if i let off the throttle and cruised to a stop it was fine. However, a small blurp of the throttle when stopping is managable, so I guess just cleaning the reeds was all it needed for now.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom