fatboyslim

Apr 11, 2006
I sold my 2002 sx 125 to a local guy. He took i for a ride and said he'd buy it, pretty quick buy. I told hime what was wrong with it and it was the sprockets needed replacing and that was it, but i had forgotten a minor leak in the gas tank. The guy picked it up and went to his place and took it for a ride before it got dark. Then in the morning he took it for a ride then filled it up with gas and i guess it started leaking on him. So he phones me and says he wants his money back and that he'll return the bike. My question is has that ever happened to anybody with any vehicle? Also I said hell no to what he said because for 1 he had agreed to buy it, 2 he had it for a day and rode it twice (could have crashed who knows) and 3 it's a minor leak that can be fixed with some sealant. Then he wanted $250 for a new gas tank, I also said no to that. Was it right for me to say know? I think it was. Give me your thoughts and opinions.s

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
fatboyslim said:
I sold my 2002 sx 125 to a local guy. He took i for a ride and said he'd buy it, pretty quick buy. I told hime what was wrong with it and it was the sprockets needed replacing and that was it, but i had forgotten a minor leak in the gas tank.

fatboyslim said:
Then in the morning he took it for a ride then filled it up with gas and i guess it started leaking on him. So he phones me and says he wants his money back and that he'll return the bike. Also I said hell no to what he said because for 1 he had agreed to buy it, 2 he had it for a day and rode it twice (could have crashed who knows) and 3 it's a minor leak that can be fixed with some sealant. Then he wanted $250 for a new gas tank, I also said no to that. Was it right for me to say know? I think it was. Give me your thoughts and opinions.s

1 - Yes it's buyer beware on used bikes, I however like to show more integrity in my dealings and would have informed the new buyer of the leak. I'd venture a large guess you did not forget about something like a leaking gas tank.

2- What a sad rationalization, you know it was leaking when you sold it.

3- You'll never successfully repair a leaking gas tank with any type of sealant, the tank needs to be replaced.

My thoughts are you are an unscrupulous seller who is now looking for us to appease your conscience, I suggest you look elsewhere but I'd avoid the mirror as you may not like what you see.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Chili said:
1 - Yes it's buyer beware on used bikes, I however like to show more integrity in my dealings and would have informed the new buyer of the leak. I'd venture a large guess you did not forget about something like a leaking gas tank.

2- What a sad rationalization, you know it was leaking when you sold it.

3- You'll never successfully repair a leaking gas tank with any type of sealant, the tank needs to be replaced.

My thoughts are you are an unscrupulous seller who is now looking for us to appease your conscience, I suggest you look elsewhere but I'd avoid the mirror as you may not like what you see.
Like you took the words out of my mouth.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Sounds to me like Chili nailed it. It also sound to e like the buyer might be having buyers remorse. Perhaps both of you are being less than honest with each other.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
"Like New", "Never raced", "too powerful for me", just to say a few of the common selling phrases. How about, "AS IS".

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
You aren't obligated to give him anything, but the classy thing to do would be to replace the gas tank for him or at least meet him 1/2 way on the cost or somthing. You knew it was leaking, but did not disclose that to him.

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
BSWIFT said:
"Like New", "Never raced", "too powerful for me", just to say a few of the common selling phrases. How about, "AS IS".

RIGHT THERE!!! Ive been a bike dealer since freshman year in HS, bought and sold more bikes than I could ever remember. I learned really quick that AS-AS is the safest phrase a seller could ever use. In the end its the BUYER'S responsibility to make sure the vehicle is up to HIS standards. Its one thing if you intentionally deceived him but you didn’t. Don’t worry about it. It happens (trust me) maybe next time he'll check over a potential purchase with a finer toothed comb so to speak. I guess im a bit callous because ive been doing this a while and have been ripped off a handful of times(and outright lied to) but I don’t get mad; I just make sure not to make the same mistake again.

Also, like BSWIFT said, Never raced", "too powerful for me are big red flags for me when im looking at any dirt bike. also you get allot of "fresh top end"s yeah BS maybe 20% of the time its true and ive called MANY sellers out on that one. Its always fun.

ecy063

Sep 15, 2005
I bought a brand new RM125 and within three months had to replace the cylinder, piston, clutch, pivot bearing, chain, sprockets, foot pegs, shock and fork rebuild, air box and tires. I don't feel sorry for the guy but I'd offer him $100.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
If I was the buyer I would be really pissed if I discovered that the tank leaked when I filled it with gas. Yes, the buyer has to beware, but it sounds like the buyer was reasonably careful in inspecting the bike, even rode it once but the gas tank leak (unless the crack was visually obvious) would be a serious defect that would be hidden.

If you truely "forgot" to mention the leak in the tank then the high integrity thing to do is give him his money back and take the bike back. He only had it for a day.

As others have said, try splitting the difference with him on the cost of the tank. And no, you don't fix gas tanks with a little sealant.

Top Bottom