Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
Well just when you think you know what bike you want and as your getting the money to pay for it you start finding out things about the bike that may redirect your decision. So after all this confusion I decided to start over from step one and maybe benefit more now with my new found knowledge.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)5'8 140lbs. still growing.
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? depends on mood, 4/10 sometimes 7/10 I like to go fast, just not all the time.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????- Friends ,family, woods,field mostly trails.
4) Do you have any riding experience?- Im a beginner but I tend to catch on real fast.
5) Do you think you will race ?- More than likley not
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?- Can do basic maintenance but wants to learn.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? At this point it doesn't really matter to me.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?- All with in reach
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? Used- 2k-2500
10) Do you live in California? Nope
11) Your age?15
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion-

Well my main concern is reliability, followed closely by performance. As a previous utility atv owner i am tired of just putting around, i want something with speed, but also something I can ride hard and put away wet: NOT that i ever would. My uncle has a crf250x and I plan on doing some trail riding with him in the near future and would like a bike that could keep up with him. I guess im not so fond of the new high performance four stroke comp. bikes, i don't want to be changing pistons every couple weeks. Ive been looking closely at the KDX220Rs and honda XR's but would like some back up advice on making that right first decision. Thanks in advance.

Jan 3, 2007
Your on the right track. The KDX220 or XR250, 400 would be great. But if you develop really fast then the KDX or XR will last a season or 2. Wich is fine because this way you will become very comfertable on a bike and learn easier then say a 125 2 stroke.

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
Id love buy the KDX but I have heard some horror stories on different websites that would lead me to think othewise. One review said that the bike was not reliable at all which confused me because I had always thoughbt that the KDX was a very reliable tough machine...? That same review said that the you should check your top end every two riding hours which seemed kind of ridiculous for a trail enduro bike. But then again i think that this website is screwing with people about the kdx 220 because they are also saying that it come stock with 76 hp. WHAT? Im not sure what to think about it but could an honest KDX rider please clarify what the kdx really is?

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
Been doing more research and I looked over KTM closer. Im very interested in the exc models. What about the KTM 200exc 2t and the 400exc 4t they are both enduro reliable bikes that will suit me good am I right? Could someone give me more info as these bikes as a possible decision.

Jan 3, 2007
Cman250, a stock KDX220 makes about 20-25HP mabe a little more give or take. Also, a KDX is a 2 stroke version of a Honda XR100. A KTM 200EXC would have the same power as a totaly tricked out KDX200 or 220 has. The KTM 200 or 400 are both in a different leage then the KDX. But they are both great as far as fun, easy of riding, and relliable. I think the KTM EXC 200 or 400 is a better choice for the simple fact i have riden a IT175 for less then a year and now i moved to IT465 2 stroke this year, by this i mean it is really quick that you can become board with the power of a bike. So, to sum it up the KTM 200 or 400 is your best option at this point.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
A used KTM 200EXC if you can find one in your price range would be a great bike for you. I'm not as certain the 400 is as good an option at this point.

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
If you can get ahold of a KTM 200 (another overgrown XR 100 by the most recent definition) I'd go for it stat. Just make sure its in good condition. From experience I've seen a lot of bikes in your price range in questionable repair. Otherwise the KDX is another great bike. A freind of mine with pretty substantial experience with both seemed to think they were pretty comparable for the beginner, with the KDX being "smoother and heavier"

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
2 strokes for life said:
Cman250, a stock KDX220 makes about 20-25HP mabe a little more give or take. Also, a KDX is a 2 stroke version of a Honda XR100.
What :coocoo: . Maybe the XR400. The way you said that I would think you meant they are in the same class, like the xr100 could make 20hp :rotfl: .

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
flyingfuzzball said:
dude it is. just bigger.

they are both trail bikes.
A more accurate comparison would have been that a KDX 200/220 is a 2 stroke version of a Honda XR250.

The XR's are good, dependable bikes since they are not the racing variety of 4 strokes. However, they are a bit heavy and dated in all areas.

It's hard to beat a good 2 stroke for fun/$$ and you can easily maintain them yourself. The KDX is a nice 2 stroke trailbike that has a more mellow engine than a 125 or 250 motocross bike (KX, CR, RM, YZ, etc.) but like the Honda XRs, also weighs more and isn't as well suspended as racier bikes. That said it would be just fine for your use.

The KTM exc's are a step up in quality and suspension compared to the above. The 200 is a very fun bike and would be a great choice, as are the 250 and 300. The 200 uses the 125 chassis while the 250/300 use the 250 chassis. I like to think of the KTM 200 a "125 magnum" and likewise a 300 as a "250 magnum."

Jan 3, 2007
OldassKDX, _JOE_, i said it but you looked at it differently then i saw it. I ment reliability wise not power wise, although thinking about it now a XR250 or 400 would have been a fair match.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Or after a year or so if you are ready send the top end to Eric and have him port it when you rebuild it. Check Canadian Daves forum for some other great mods.

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
Well I think im guna go with the KTM exc or xc/xc-w models because they pretty much fit the description of what I want in a bike at the moment. I don't how it was possible but for a few years I kept entertained on a 12 hp. 500 + lbs. utility atv which is now for sale so my first bike should last me a while. Looks like its time to go browse the ORANGE section of **** now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom