mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i copied this from mxstates.com. supposedly this is the latest bike buying scam. drner motodawg said this buyer contacted him too but that he didn't sell to him.

IF someone is contacting you from Africa to buy your motorcycle or anything else that you might have for sale IT IS A SCAM.

I have an Yamaha 426 for sale I'm asking 4500.00 for the bike get an email from a man named Bushi (should have been the first hint) and he wanted to buy my bike. He wrote me an email saying he would send me a cashier check for 12,000.00. I received the cashiers check today from FED EX and called the bank that it was written on and the cashiers check is bogus. They have had 4 written on them so far. Talked to the FBI and they said there was another person with a dirt bike that this had happened to last week.

The myth is that all cashiers checks are as good as cash and that is not the truth. So if you get one please verify funds before you cash it.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Glad you had the good sense to verify the funds! Thanks for posting this information.

-jeffd

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by mx547
I have an Yamaha 426 for sale I'm asking 4500.00 for the bike get an email from a man named Bushi (should have been the first hint)

I am just guessing that someone wanting to pay $12,000 for a bike advertised at $4500 would be the second hint NO? :)

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Yup! I thought it might have been in South African whateverthehecktheycallits.... ;)

Zsolt67

Jun 10, 2002
Used to be much better when South Africa had the Gold Kougarand (spell)

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 border=0>
<TBODY>
<TR vAlign=center>
<TD align=right>[font=Arial,Helvetica]<B>12,000.00 USD</B>[/font]
United States Dollars
</TD>
<TD>&nbsp;</TD>
<TD align=middle>[font=Arial,Helvetica]<B>=</B>[/font]</TD>
<TD>&nbsp;</TD>
<TD align=left>[font=Arial,Helvetica]<B>105,863.56 ZAR</B>[/font]
South Africa Rand
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Good posting, thanks.;)

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
I heard about this on another site. Apparently the people that go along with it actually do get a deposit to their account and it looks like the check cleared but then a few days later they find out the check was actually no good and they have to pay back the money to the bank. I guess the old addage still holds true: if it sounds too good to be true it probably is!

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Man, I'm glad I have a deposit on a new bike! Show much for a hand shake a clear deal, guess that was the good old days.

Top Bottom