dr516

Oct 8, 2003
Hello does anybody know anything about those bike carriers that just hook up to the hitch? with my budget (about$250)I cannot seem to find a trailer to haul my dr350(about280lbs.) and I'm missing alot of good riding days so those carriers at about $175. seem to be my last option.Are they worth buying them?with my bike and the carrier it will be about 340lbs. just hanging from the reciver is this safe? will it really make the rear of my 98 durango sag alot I don't want to waste my money. Any input will be greatly appreciated

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
You are better off looking for a cheap trailer for around 200-300 bucks, IMHO, although I did have a hitch carrier for my KDX for a year or so and it wasn't terrible. (A1-Trailers sells em for about $230 no frills) You have to lift the bike onto it though, and I injured myself more doing that than riding!

Save up another 100 clams and get a little trailer.. you'll be happy you did.

Just my two cents though...

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I still have my MotoJack Rack and use it from time to time, even when I take my truck just because it's so easy to plop the bike on it and go. I suspect a Durango will be riding a bit low in the back with a bike on it but just keep in mind the extra long rear overhang and you should be OK. Remember also that most designs are not quite as compact as the MJR so storage space is a concern.

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
Motojack rack = $300-$350 bucks, they are very nice, but for that price.... I like a small trailer... but again...that's just one guys opinion... The convenience of not having to register, store, and maintain a trailer is a big plus to some people.

And yes.. the rear of the durango will definately sag.. My Grand cherokee sagged with HD springs lifted 4" and the 220Lb KDX on the back...

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
I built my own hitch rack and i use it on the back of my 77 CJ5 (35" tires with add a leaf and spring overs) mostly for my Gas Gas JTX 270 but I have hauled my KX250 on it, I bulit my own trailer for hauling both bikes (up to three) I Farm so i fabricate alot of things I would send you the plans to built it but they are in my Head! LOL I made mine so I could use a ramp to push it up on there. Actually with the bike on the back it ballanced my CJ5 out a little it always was front heavy with that AMC 304 in it.

jsirvine

Mar 20, 2002
I would not buy one from a place called Gorilla tops. The design looks good but they use to lightweiht aluminum and I've had to reinforce mine. I like to concept, works great on the back of the RV when I don't take more than one and don't want to hassle with the trailer.

jjcobra99

Oct 17, 2002
I have a hitch mount carrier, and I think it's the greatest thing in the world. Much simpler than having to deal with a trailer, IMO, but both have advantages/disadvantages. For me, it was exactly what I needed. If you want more info on this topic, see my thread over in the support vehicles forum:

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78945

Good luck!

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I use a hitch mount on a Subaru Forester and while there is some sag, it does not affect performance or make the ride unsafe. Here a some reasons to go this route:
1. No annual trailer registration to pay.
2. No tires to blow out. (Even if you have a spare, it's a pain)
3. No 55 mph speed limit on the interstate when the posted is 70mph for everyone else.
4. No wiring to your lights.
5. No backing up issues.
6. No storage issues. (A trailer takes up much space)
7. No one bumming a ride who lives way out of your way to pick them up.

Vist Europe sometime and you will see that hardly anyone has a pickup truck or a trailer. Most use the hitch carrier.

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
I have a hitch mounted carrier. If I had to buy a new one, I would get the one called "Add-A-Bike". It has a bar that comes over the seat and prevents the bike from rocking back and forth. This can be an issue when moving through rough terrain or when braking suddenly. Keep waiting for the handlebar to come through the back window on the expedition. Possibly some of the others are more stable, mine is made of aluminum channel which does twist.
I plan to buy a trailer so I can pull it with my car vs borrowing the wifes ride all the time. If I had my own SUV, I would get the add-a-bike.

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
A friend of mine may be interested in selling his Tilt-A-Rack.. they were a little more pricey, but have a nice ramp setup.

If you're interested let me know and I'll ask him what he wants for it.

Dave

Top Bottom