kx2000

Apr 6, 2005
hey, ive got a 2000 kx250 that looks brand new and i would like to keep it that way. i just got it and got it dirty yesterday (made me sick lol) anyway - just wondering what you guys think are the best method of keeping these bad boys clean....what to use, (plastics, metals?) and whats the best way to get caked on dirt off of my pipe - (keep in mind - it is a pro circuit works pipe; its black so im guessing its paint and dont want to end up taking the paint off) well thanks for any info! sorry if this is a repost but im a newb, i'll get better i promise. :laugh:

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
kx2000 said:
hey, ive got a 2000 kx250 that looks brand new and i would like to keep it that way. i just got it and got it dirty yesterday (made me sick lol)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Hence the name DIRTbike.

kx2000

Apr 6, 2005
i know its gonna get dirty and thats great, but that doesnt mean it needs to stay that way. this isnt my first bike, i know they get dirty.

MY KDX 220 R

Feb 9, 2005
I never use a pressure washer, but that is my preference. Wallmart sells a product called "Super clean"? Made by Castrol in a purple jug, dilute approx 3 - 1 and use a trigger spray bottle after you have sprayed most of the chunks off with a hose pipe.
Typically I don't leave it sitting on the bike for longer than 5 minutes, rinse off thoroughly and repeat if needed, you will seldom need to do more than that if you keep up with it, ie after each ride / weekend.
When all done and nice and dry ( leaf blower ) spray a nice film of WD 40 and then set about lubing, cleaning filters etc. Always nice to work on a clean bike and looks good in the garage.
Enjoy

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
tyesai said:
I hit almost everything with wd 40 after I wash it, it disperses the water.

Me too.

I rarely use a pressure washer.

Usually I take an old tire iron and scrape off the thick mud if necessary from the fenders, skid plate and foot pegs.

Then I take a garden hose with a sprayer and rinse it off. I spray off as much dirt as I can.

Then I take some Pro Clean and spray the entire bike.

Rinse.

Spray again on fenders and engine (be careful not to get any on the brakes or at least spray it off quickly)

Rinse.

Spray WD 40 on engine, forks and underside of plastic.

Let it drip while I put the cleaner and hose away.

Spray WD 40 on chain.

Put in the garage.

Wipe dry.

Spray WD 40 on plastic, clean forks with WD 40 and rag and spray WD 40 on engine.

Wipe WD 40 into plastic.

Wipe chain.

Lube chain.

It really doesn't take as long as it sounds.

Ivan

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I'm lazy so I use a pressure washer I got at Lowes.
1st, plug the pipe then lay it over on the ground and rinse all the big chunks off. I use the pro-clean 1000 stuff too and it works great. After getting the big stuff off I spray on the proclean and let it sit for a few seconds (that's all it takes) then rinse with power washer. Next I put it back on the stand and rerinse. Spray on more proclean and go to town.
I do try to avoid the bearing areas.

For the PC pipe (works) , that's what I have too. Mine has no finish on iy so it will rust in a mere few minutes. I spray a little simple green on a scotch brite pad and get the pipe wet and go to town. In only a few minutes I have a pipe that looks nickel plated and it stays that way till the next cleaning job. The last thing I do is clean the chain & sprockets using the same technique. After I'm done with the water I use an air compressor the get all the water off I can then dry the rest. I only use WD40 on the chain and then I wipe that off after a few minutes. Pull the air filter after every ride and clean. Usualy I lube the chain before I go riding just to make sure there's is no water still trapped in the chain.

I know using a pressure washer isn't the best thing to do to a bike and for that reason is probably why I change bearings more often that I probably should have to. That's okay, I like a clean bike so I can tell if anything is about to fall off. My finishing touches are to spray some of the proclean 1000 bike polish on basicaly everyting except where I sit and grip the bike and the brakes. I use that because it works good and I'm addicted to the smell of it. :)

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
MY KDX 220 R said:
Wallmart sells a product called "Super clean"? Made by Castrol in a purple jug,

I don't know if that is the same stuff that used to be called Castrol Purple Stuff. If it is, it will EAT aluminum! I ruined the finish on a set of rims by spraying them with Purple Stuff.

Is you use a pressure washer, there are many places you DON'T want to spray high pressure water (including but not limited to):
  • chain
  • wheel bearings
  • steering head bearings
  • shock linkage bearings
  • kickstarter shaft seal
  • shifter shaft seal
  • countershaft seal
  • any airbox inlets
  • radiator fins (too hard too close will bend them and block air flow)
  • cable ends
  • open end of silencer

If you do spray your bike with WD-40, do NOT spray the brakes, the grips, nor the seat.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
I clean and lube the chain and wipe off lower half of the forks so the dried mud doesnt get packed in to my fork seals. Thats about it cause it just looks the same the next time i ride. If its really packed with mud i will do a full clean on it. Guess this is why my 2 year old bike looks like its 10 years old. :laugh:

Top Bottom