Bike coughs and stalls when I crack open throttle

jcramin

~SPONSOR~
Aug 14, 2002
I have a 2003 DR-Z 125L I purchased this used. Im not sure what was done to the carb before I got it, but I do know they drilled open the exhaust for more air flow out the exhaust, and they also cut the hole bigger in the air box to pull more air in.

BUT, the bike caughs and almost dies if I pop open the throttle quick from idle. It is just like the reaction you get when you crack open the throttle and the bike isnt warmed up yet.

Is this a lean or rich problem ? What do I do to fix it ?

Thanks,
J

The_Loop

Apr 19, 2003
I am having the same problem with my DRZ-250. No modifications to the airbox on mine but i do have a silencer. If you find out anything let me know.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
probably a lean condition...tinker with making adjustments to the airscrew and that should help

B

biglou

Try running the pilot screw all the way in (so you know exactly where it is), then back it out to 1-1/2 turns. If it still does it, try coming out a half turn at a time, but don't go over 2-1/2 to 3 turns out. If it's still doing it, go ahead and bump the pilot jet up one size, and put the pilot screw back at 1-1/2 turns out. Be sure the bike is fully warmed up when testing for the cough/stall. Also note that colder weather will make the condition worse.

jcramin

~SPONSOR~
Aug 14, 2002
Thanks BigLou, thats what I have been looking for. I will try that today. .

Thanks,
J

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…