Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
I'm considering buying a bike for my 10 y/o son. He's fairly small for his age at 4'5" and about 62 lbs with an inseam of 24". Funds are limited as always and the only two bikes I've seen for sale online in driving distance within budget are a TTR90 and a DS80. The TTR has a seat height of 24.5" and the DS is 27" I think. I have no idea what the rider sag would be on either tho. He's never ridden before but is pretty athletic with good coordination and is very competitive(little league). I would think he could pick up on using the clutch on the DS but may take a little time. I'm kinda leaning toward the DS but I'm not sure if the seat height is too tall or not. Another issue is that I think(hope ;) ) he'll want to race some mx but will the 80cc two stroke put him in a class that he can't compete in with this bike? I'm sure the TTR is a great bike to learn on with the 4 stroke power delivery and automatic clutch, plus be in an MX class he can compete in but I'm afraid he'll outgrow it quickly plus with the DS, when he's ready(and my pocketbook is ready) to move up to an actual race bike, he'll already know the clutch and gears. Opinions??

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I started on a Z50 at age 5 for a year or two. At about age 11 dad got me a 1980 CR80 (this was in 1983). I am 5'4", 140 lbs now - I suspect I was about your son's size at age 10 or 11.

I wouldn't worry so much about seat height in inches - just take him to the shops and see what fits. You want him to be comfortable, but as you mentioned, give him some room to grow.

I would think that being able to touch the ground with both tiptoes or a little more ought to be sufficient.

Neither of those bikes will touch a 2 stroke 85 on the track - I'd guess the TTR90 is about 8-10 HP and a stock 85 is at least in the high teens in HP. An even bigger problem is that there's no way the TTR type bikes are going to jump the same jumps that the 85s do - the suspension just isn't there for it.

However, my local tracks have a trail bike class - 100cc and under, no 2 strokes. The Track Commissioner's younger son moved from an XR100 to a CR85 late last season and actually got slower because he was afraid of the bike at first, and then he couldn't seem to figure out how to "keep it on the pipe".

Given your description of the situation I would recommend buying a used trail bike for now - the XR/CRF/TTR type bikes are almost indestructible and generally don't require much maintenance other than oil changes and chain adjustments.

Then in a year or two you could get the MX bike. I suspect it will be a year rather than two. . .

After the older CR80, dad got me an XR100. It took me 6 months at age 13 to be totally bored. Then he got me a brand new 1986 CR80. It kept my interest for 3+ years.

He can learn to use the clutch - it's not that hard for a kid - a couple days and I'd say he'll have the general idea - I hadn't used a clutch on a bike and moved from the Z50 to the CR80, so . . .

Hope this helps . . .

CamDayKX125(4)

Uhhh...
Jan 20, 2006
you might want to consider the kx, sx, or rm 65(with a nod toward the kx ;) . im not exactly sure what the seat height is on those things. the ttr 90 will probably bore him a little too quickly. the 65 is fast, super light weight, and just plain fun :nod: . i dont even know what a ds 80 is :bang:

JGrossijr

Dec 29, 2004
The TTR is a great beginner bike for a kid your sons size. They are also very low maintenance and cost. The above post is accurate, there is no way that either of the two bikes you listed will be competitive against modern 2 stroke race bikes. It is still better in my opinion to start on a trail bike and move to a race bike. You might also consider an XR 80. They have smooth power, standard clutch/transmission, are low maintenance, and have great resale. If you bought one right, you could probably ride it for a year or two, and then sell it for the same amout you paid, and move to a race type 85 comfortably.
Jim

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Neither of your choices will ever survive on an MX track. The previous estimate of its power is actually high. It only produces 5.6hp. Comparatively speaking, a KX65 put out 17 at approximately the same weight. My son is a little smaller than yours and does race a 65. I must warn you that the 65 are pretty aggressive so you might be better off with a lesser bike at first with the expectation of moving up in about a year. Also, have you considered the KLX110?

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
FruDaddy said:
Neither of your choices will ever survive on an MX track. The previous estimate of its power is actually high. It only produces 5.6hp.

Wow FruDaddy - I'm surprised - I was told that the 1985 XR100 I had was about 8 HP, and I was assuming that the TTR was a bit more, shall we say, technologically advanced. . .

Apparently not. LOL. Of course, I guess that's why they never break down . . .

CamDayKX125(4)

Uhhh...
Jan 20, 2006
FruDaddy said:
Also, have you considered the KLX110?
the klx 110 is about the size of an xr 70, so, i think its a little too small for your son. my little brother has an xr 70, hes 4'2'', 50lbs. and 8y/o(he doesnt race or trail ride :coocoo: ). id try a kx 65. they are aggresive, but hell(eventually :laugh: ) get used to the power. read on what other people think of this bike.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Thanks for the opinions :cool: I would love to get an MX 65 for him but as I said, the only ones available close at the available budget are the TTR and DR. I'm not that concerned about the suspension at the beginner level as I doubt he would be jumping anything just yet. I'm more concerned that, with an 80cc 2-stroke, he would be forced into a class with the MX 80cc bikes which would just be embarassing for him. Now if they have a beginner class for trail bikes that includes 2 strokes, that would be the ticket. I believe the TTR would be able to race in the beginners 65cc class. I would like the DR for him, but its looking like the TTR would be better for MX just because of the class he would have to be in. Anyways, thanks for the thoughts and opinions.

yo its matt!

Aug 26, 2000
if it was my son just staring out , i would get a used xr50 or some mini and let him get some skills then move up to the ttr125, my son stated on a ktm 50 and at 12 could ride a ttr 125 well, but dont be fooled a 50 can do alot of damage in the wrong hands! i had a buddys kid ride my sons ktm 50 into the side of the neibors minivan and do $800 damage and broke his arm!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Honestly, none of the bikes considered would be remotely competitive with evern the 65 class. It weighs about the same, but is at a 10 pony disadvantage. And that's before you take the suspension into consideration.
It does appear that the DS80 has the superior power to weight ratio of the group. It is lighter than both the TTR90 and KLX110 but appears to make more HP (probably because it's a 2smoke). The Ground clearance and seat height is very close to that of the KLX.

wayfastwilly

Dec 29, 2005
Mx Or Not

I just went through this same thing. I bought a 110 4 stroke in july 05 with a 28 in seat height for my 10 yr old and thought it would fit into a slower beginer motocross class, HA, he had to race the 65 beginer class. the only reason he wasnt last was one kid on a KX keeped wrecking. Needless to say we own a KX65 now, It rocks. The suspension alone is worth it. If he rides on a track, suspension is worth more than power. Nothing will ruin his confidance and fun like trying to race a under suspended bad handling bike. My son had a pretty bad wreck because of that. PS. KX has a 29.5 in seat height, but your son will tiptoe it. OHYEA a RM65 is the same bike in yellow. No matter what, any bike is better than no bike. You can always resell and upgrade, thats what i did :aj:

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
My son is 9 and he's just about the same size as your son.I've had him on a 01 honda xr80 for a year now and he can really handle it good!!! I've lowerd the forks in the clamps and thats all.He's 5'7 and inseam of 24''

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Ok so I found a good deal on an '04 crf70 so I got it for him. I figure we'll stick to trails for a while until he learns how to ride and handle the terrain, maybe take him to the track on practice days just so he can get a feel for it. When he gets good enough on it, I will sell it or trade it in and get him a mx65 bike. I sold my YZ in Sept 04 so now I gotta find me one. Part of the reason for getting the son one was to convince the wife that I need another one to ride with him hehe Does that make me a bad person? :laugh: . Thanks for all the comments!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Wait until he moves to the 65 before asking for your own. This way you have a better chance of getting a proper MX bike. Had I not been patient, my wife would have decided that a TTR125 was good enough and less expensive. "I need something that can keep up with him back in the woods in case he falls:) ". I now have a KX250. He should be ready to move up in 6 months, but don't rush him, some kids take a little longer to get comfortable.

loaner

Feb 6, 2006
Frudaddy-just curious. my 7 yr old has outgrown his xr50 over the 1.5 yrs of riding. recently he blew out the shock jumping and did in a new dunlop in one season. I was considering the klx 110 but it seems like more of the same. He loves to jump and ride tracks for fun(no racing). He can handle the long sandy washes but more power would help a bunch. I also think the kx65 will allow him more growth.

thanks

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
That's about the age when I moved my boy to the KX. He was a bit timid at first, mostly because he couldn't reach the ground. I did catch him trying stoppies about a month later. He is small for his age, and rode the bike for a year before he could hold it up without blocks. I always kept something near the truck that he could put his foot on to stop. The biggest adjustment for your son will probably be learning to use the clutch efficiently, the 65 has no bottom end at all. Thre Frumonkey was riding a PW50 before the KX.

High Sider

Feb 25, 2006
Hey,

I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat. Son is ten 4'5"tall but has been on a xr50 since he was seven. I was seriously looking at the TT90 for his next bike but it's a bigger version of the "kiddie" bikes. It's a great bike though especially for a kid just starting out and I would say if he's never ridden don't rush him and let him have fun with it before putting him on a rocket. let him build his confidence on the TT90. For my son I think I'm going with the Yamaha TT125E. The seat height is right around his waist and below his belly button. When I was a kid if I could stand on the side of the bike and see over the seat then I was good to go. Today too many people are safety natzi's. He's going to have to do some stretching to get one tip toe on the ground but he'll have the bike for a little while. my son has expressed an interest in racing but I want him to get more experience on a four stroke before going to a 2 stroke rocket. Plus, I ride woods and like to take him along with me. I think the TT90 would be you best bet... Good luck

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Well I found a good deal on an '04 CRF70 so I got it for him! I showed him all the controls on it, made sure he knew how to let off the throttle and apply the brake to stop with a couple 30 ft practice runs and then turned him loose in the field beside our house. He was real timid on it at first as it took him a bit to get used to the throttle being on the handle bar. He's had it for three days now and rode it every day. I've taught him how to stand up to go over obstacles, sit down on the front of the seat for turns, and how and when to change gears. He's already getting pretty good on it and ready to hit the woods to learn how to handle different terrain. I think I made a good choice on bikes as the two stroke race bike with a clutch for a first ride may have scared the snot out of him :yikes:
I think he'll be ready for one in just a few months tho so with the good deal I got on the CRF, I believe I can sell it and get my money back or close to it (if he hasn't run the tires off it by then!) and get him an mx bike. Now I'm still looking for me a bike that's slow enough to ride with him in the woods, but will be able to handle the mx track when its time for that. Dad wants to have some fun too! :nod: Thanks again everybody for your replies and opinions :ride:

Top Bottom