mxrider76

May 12, 2006
Since I plan on getting my cr 125 soon my dad will be needing a bike to ride with me on. He wont go for a kx 250. He said he wants a 4 stroke so he dosent have to do much work. I told him about the crf 250 and the rmz but hes not sure. He has been riding bikes forever and hes 47 and tells me storys about his wicked 2 stroke yz 465 :yikes: lol. Thanks for the help for a fellow rider! ;) o yea are neighbor has a wr 250 and my dad really likes it....

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
The new fourstrokes are not low maintenance. The new fourstroke motocross bikes are high performance machines (race bikes) that require a race bike maintenance schedule. He'd be better off on a 250 two-stroke as they are usually pretty good maintenance wise and when they do break, they're cheap to fix.

mxrider76

May 12, 2006
I just thought about him getting a xr 250 or 400

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
An XR400 would be a good choice, IMHO. Great low end grunt and they'll get up and move. Very reliable.

I was going to suggest a KDX200 or 220, myself. I'm 44 and ride a KDX and KX125. My previous 2 bikes were a YZ250wr and XR250 and the KDX combines the best of both of those bikes. It's got the 2-stroke fun and light weight, but the reliability of the XR (actually, my KDX has been MORE reliable than my XR was- the XR shook a lot of bolts loose and came close to losing the frame oil drain plug once!). I know that if I had to choose between an XR-anything and the KDX, I'd take the KDX (unless I were going to race Baja or something...). But, at the same time, I could ride an XR400 and have fun.

Main thing is to get him on a bike.

RCJ81

Jun 2, 2000
I am 46 and bought an 05 WR450. Electric start is great and plenty of power. Maintainance isn't a problem if you don't race it. Yamaha 4 strokes have one of the better reliability records. The XR would be a great choice as well but I wanted something with more snap and better suspension. Had it for a year and really like it.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
So how good can the advice be if no one asked where Dad wants to ride? Track? Trails? Aggressive? Sunday cruise?

Does Dad mean by "not much work" not much maint. or not much work to go fast?

How can we POSSIBLY MAKE THIS STUCK THREAD MORE OBVIOUS?
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=108916

Top Bottom