whuatta

Sep 11, 2002
My son is turning 4 in the beginning of next year and I'm starting to shop around for a bike for him. He's pretty average in height and very energetic. I'm looking to mostly trail ride with him in the beginning and maybe get him to race if he wants to. What do you guys recommend? XR50, PW50, JR50, etc.? Also, where is a good place find a used one for a good price? I've looked in the recycler & cycletrader and those things hold their value really well!
Thanx for the help.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
My boy had a JR50/KDX50 which is a really good little bike. You should be able to get one of these pee wee bikes at your dealer for just over $1000. cycletrader usually has good deals on new 2004's ,  new 2003's should be even better.

Most 1 to 2 year old pee wee 50's sell for about $700 - $900

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
My 1998 PW80 went for $850. I know thats too big for him. 50's go for about the same. Hondas are the most new and PW's are the least. There all about the same exept for the plastic. Shouldn't make too much difference what you get. Ask him which one he likes or if its a surprise pick his favorite brand/riders bike or simply the cheapest one.

gn83tm

Dec 30, 2002
Around here the little bikes that are a year or two old bring more on the used market than you can buy a new one for if you shop around at the small town dealers. I ended up finding a '97 JR50 at a small town dealer for $550. They were also selling new bikes for less than used ones were in the bigger city classifieds. In this area at least, it seems like you're better off buying a new bike if you can't find a reasonable priced used one.

I've been happy with the JR. I think the XR is a little bigger and it also offers a 3 speed trans. For a 4 year old I'd keep it simple, buy the right riding gear, and have fun without pushing the youngster. Remember, you have a lifetime of fun ahead of you if you don't push them away from it.

whuatta

Sep 11, 2002
I'm leaning towards the XR50. The only reason is for the 3 speed tranny. I would think that he could ride it until he's a little older. Also, if he doesn't like riding, I could get on it!

Carp824

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2002
I would go with the XR50. I bought my son one when he was four and he had a difficult time at first but within a few months he was riding well. They have a throttle limiter and can take a ton of abuse. They also hold there value well.

I also play around the yard on it and it is a ton of fun.

GT3Jay

May 28, 2003
We bought my 4 year old a PW 50 due to the fact that it was lighter and a little smaller than the xr50. The Honda just seemed a little big for a 4 year old. The Yamaha did its job wonderfully. He learned to ride in a matter of a couple months and loves riding. The draw back of choosing the Yamaha PW50 over the Honda XR50, is now he has outgrown the little PW. I think the XR50 would have lasted a little longer, maybe? I think either bike will serve your needs quite well. Around here, the used mini's go for around 800. I gave 950 for the PW50 new.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
OK, consider this, my brother has a KDX50 for his 4 year old, and an XR50 for his 7 year old daughter - the XR is just too big for the 4 year old - luckily for him, he will grow into the XR, and his sister will have to upgrade to an XR70 or KLX110 :)

Top Bottom