Gunther

Jul 8, 2003
The KDX would prolly have if anything TOO much power for a brand new rider. They might be slow compared to a KTM or the like but believe me they flat out get when they jetted even close to right.

A XR 200 would be low to the ground, pretty light and will run forever. A KDX will fit you better when you're riding.

My wife is your size, but she's a bit scared of the KDX's. OK, after a fractured clav she's a bit scared of the XR too.

hotcarchick

Mod Ban
Aug 23, 2003
Do you think I would crash alot with a KDX or do you think that I would just be scared of it? Is it slower than the Kawasaki 80cc 2stroke?

hotcarchick

Mod Ban
Aug 23, 2003
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2434548375&category=50012

This is a Honda XR 400 '96. The plastic looks a little sun cracked and such.
But still looks ok.

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
From the Manufacturers web sites.

KDX 200 - 04'
2-stroke
msrp - $3,999
Dry weight: 222.6 lbs.
Seat height: 36.2 in.

XR400 - 04'
4-stroke
msrp - $5,299
257.0 pounds
36.6 inches

XR250 - 04'
4-stroke
msrp - $4,699
Dry Weight 240.0 pounds
Seat Height 36.0 inches

hotcarchick

Mod Ban
Aug 23, 2003
thanks for the weights gxdragon. Looks like the KDX is closest to what I'm looking for and the height looks good too.

I'm still wonderin' if the KDX is faster than the kawasaki 80cc 2 stroke.
Do you think it would jump ok?(the KDX) I'm not tryin' to set records but I don't wanna be stuck to the ground. ;)

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
These are good questions that I'm not qualified to answer.

My guess is yes it's faster than a 80cc.
They are PROBABLY about the same for jumping. They are trail bikes and you can do SOME jumping but if you want a motocross bike you should buy a motocross bike. A cr, rm, yz or kx. I've been about six feet in the air with my KLX400, I don't think I would want to go too much higher on that bike.

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
Originally posted by Truespode
I recommend against buying a bike you do not have the opportunity to test ride or inspect closely.

Ivan

I agree, you're taking a chance if you're planning on buying from the internet.

hotcarchick

Mod Ban
Aug 23, 2003
yeah, I probably won't jump any higher than 6ft. Motocross is not a concern right now 'cause I just want one for fun.
Good advice about the internet buying, have any of you bought from the internet? If so were you satisfied with the bike or wasn't it what you thought it would be?

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
When I was looking for a bike for my daughter I inspected a bike I saw on ebay because the guy lived close by. According to him his daughter only rode the bike a couple of times and there were only a few scratches on it. He didn't say how many times he rode it. The bike was beat to crap, you couldn't tell by the pictures. I was so turned off by that I just went out and bought her a new XR50.

hotcarchick

Mod Ban
Aug 23, 2003
wow gxdragon, that'll make me be carefull when considering a bike at Ebay on online. The guy who's sellin' the bike I'm interested in lives in Minneapolis, but I've got relatives there so I might actually go over there.

Gunther

Jul 8, 2003
Well, I don't know if you'd crash a lot. Heck I don't even know if you'd be scared. The power to weight ratio, 'specially since you ain't got a lot of lead in your butt would be plenty.

Also, with your weight a KDX will jump high enough to give you a nosebleed. Probably be oversprung which is easy enough to fix but I figure with STOCK suspension settings you'd have to jump off a cliff to bottom it. Six feet will be just duckie.

Yes, it will out run an 80..............

hotcarchick

Mod Ban
Aug 23, 2003
I'm sure I could tone down the shocks a bit if it was to firm but I doubt it would give me a nose bleed; well, unless I crashed ;);)!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Hi Hotcarchick,
Yes the kdx is a 2-stroke.. I think a kx80 would be a litle small for you, but you may want too talk your freind into letting you try it out.. Learn the basics on it.. Your 5'10, so any of the bigger bikes should fit you fine.. Just have too make sure that you can pick it up after a fall.. Try laying the 80 over and see if you can right it up.. XR 400 may be a little heavy for you.. Have you got all the riding gear??
RIck

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
Originally posted by hotcarchick
well, unless I crashed ;);)!
Crashing's not funny... Unless it happens to someone else... and you have pictures to share with everybody... And they don't get hurt... Then it's hillarious! :)

Gear you should have:
Helmet
boots
chest protector
knee/shin pads
elbow/forearm pads
goggles
riding gloves, pants & shirt
about $400-$500

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
FIrst thing i go for in a helmet is the fit, should fit snug, not loose.. Visibility, meaning has a large opening for my goggles.. Also must have good ventilation and removable padding so i can wash.. Right now im looking into buying a HJC helmet..
Rick

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom