gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
Don't cheap out on safety equipment. It always amazes me when when someone will spend $5,000+ on a bike but then whines about a few hundred on safety gear. HJC makes a nice inexpensive helmet the CLX-4. A chest protector is also a good investment, I have had a few crashes on the track where I went right done on my chest and didn't feel a thing because the chest protector. A good pair of boots also, I have had my foot more than once wedged between the bike and a tree or rock on tight trails. Good shin/knee protectors, I went over the bars once and slammed my shin on the bars on the way over. Even with the boots and shin protector I had a knot on my shin. If I hadn't had them it would have been much worse. I have also fallen on my knees and been glad I had knee pads on. Good gear can save you a trip to the hospital.
I am also an aggressive C rider and most of my falls have been in races or experimenting on the track. So if your not an aggressive rider you may not fall AS much but if you ride dirt you're gonna fall.

hotcarchick

Mod Ban
Aug 23, 2003
I just wanted to say what a GREAT help you all have been, I was looking at the other forums about bikes for new riders and the didn't have near as many responses! I learned a heck of a lot more by talkin' to you guys than I ever would have learned by myself.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Keep us posted in what bike you get.. Can't wait too hear about the 1st ride report,
Rick

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
FYI, when I bought my bike, I grabbed a dirt bike mag off the newstand, and looked in there for clearence sales in the ads. I scored a fly lite, carbon fiber/kevlar helmet for $80, the rest of the gear was about the going rate for boots, and goggles through mailorder...... But I love my helmet... It's soo lite..

jfgviper9

Oct 18, 2002
I would say the very bare minimum would be a helmet, but your feet hit ALOT of things when you go riding, so you really should get boots, too.

If you want to get a good helmet make sure it is certified in the latest Snell and Dot safety codes. If its not, you probably wont get very good protection when you need it the most.

jfgviper9

Oct 18, 2002
I wouldn't get a removable chin bar one...There mostly if your gonna ne riding on/off road and want to be able to take the chin off on the road or whatever. Trials guys wear them too. You'd prob be better off with getting one that does not have a removable chin.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I'd stay away from the removable chin bar too, why take a chance w/a broken jaw :)

Top Bottom