hotcarchick

Mod Ban
Aug 23, 2003
Hey guys! I'm just starting riding and I need a good multi-purpose bike just for fun. I'm 5'10" and 122lbs. (yeah, I'm a girl) Is there anything that Honda has that would be good? Otherwise I don't care about who makes it. I'd appreciate any help I can get! Thanks

(If the price is a little lower that would be perfect!)

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
You'll find everyone is gone this week so you probably won't get many responses.
Honda makes some great multi purpose bikes, I don't know what your experience level is, but the XR 100 or XR200 are great all around bikes. These often tend to be very reasonably priced.

You can also look at the womens forum and get an idea of what they ride.

Have fun :thumb:

hotcarchick

Mod Ban
Aug 23, 2003
Which Bike is Better for me?

Hey which bike is better for a begining rider (122lbs. 5'10")
the Honda XR100R or the Honda CRF150F? Any help or other suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. You guys are like my mentors so anything you say I'll take very seriously.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
......so anything you say I'll take very seriously.

Well that's your first mistake. :confused:

Go to a Honda dealer and see what you fit well on. @ 5'10" you're taller than the average gal. The XR line is a great all around bike.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
My wife is 5'6" and the CRF is perfect for her. The CRF230 may be ok too but it may be too heavy.

Don't forget to consider a KDX200. It is a great bike for a true beginner and weighs less than the CRF230 too.

Ivan

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
Most people reccomend the honda Xr because it's been made for years, it's dependable, and they are usually affordable. The KDX is probably the next step up in price and then the CR's wil probably be a little step up from there...
The CRF's are nice bikes, but since they have not been made as many years as the Xr's they will probably bring a higher price.... The KDX's have been unchanged since '95 and finding a kdx for $1500 -$2000 should not be a problem.

RockyRoads

Sponsoring Member
Aug 28, 2003
Welcome to dirt riding! I wouldn't recommend the CRF150F because of your height--I think that you would quickly outgrow it. I'm 5'7" and started out on a TTR125L--I bought the bike knowing that I was too tall for it, but I wanted a bike on which I could put both feet down flat. I also wanted a bike where I could focus on my riding skills only, and not whether the bike was too heavy or too tall or too hard to start. That said, the TTR125L was fabulous for me to learn the basics--it was lightweight and very forgiving of my many mistakes; however, after only 5 months, I was ready to move on. The low seat height (an inch lower than the CRF150F) was a key problem, both in the "attack" position and when I was sitting (I took the Debbie Matthews motocross class and learned the correct body position for riding). I recently bought my CRF230F, which is wonderful (I can still put the balls of both feet down when stopped), but I think that it would still be too short for your 5'10" height. I would check out the XR250R--the seat height would be better for you (almost 2 inches higher than the CRF230F), and the dry weight of 240 pounds should be fine (I don't have any problems picking up my 238 pound CRF230F from its side, and I weigh the same as you do). I'm not a 2-stroke fan (the powerband is all wrong for my style of riding, and red-sticker bikes are banned from trail riding at OHV parks in California during the late summer months), so I don't have any advice regarding those bikes. I agree with gwcrim's advice above--go to dealerships and sit on all the bikes to see what feels comfortable for you. Good luck, and let us know what you end up with!

hotcarchick

Mod Ban
Aug 23, 2003
By the way guys I was thinking more about a 2 stroke than a 4 (which one is heavier, if there is a weight difference..?) Just wanted to let you know. :)

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Have you thought af the KTM200?? Its a 2 stroke.. 2 strokes are for the most part, lighter than 4 strokes.. Although, some of the MX 4 strokes are about the same weight as a 2 stroke.. Take a look at the KTM if you get a chance..
Rick

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Your welcome, keep us posted on what you go with.. Just out of curiosity, what type of riding do you plan on doing?? Motocross, Trails?? Both??
Rick

hotcarchick

Mod Ban
Aug 23, 2003
Glad you asked! I'm interested in motocross but since we don't have a track around here I'll do trails, looks like a real blast. Besides, I got friends interested in trail riding and they know alot of the trails out here in Montana so I'm sure I'll never get bored (like that could happen with dirtbikes!)

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
I know you said you were after a 2 smoke, but at your height, and the fact that you wanna do both moto-x and trails, might i suggest Yamaha's Wr250F?
You can piddle around on trails all day with it, but it is a capable track bike as well.
It thumps instead of pinging though........ :eek:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Theres alot of different bikes, are you partial too Honda for any particular reason?? Another line too look at for MX and trails is a KDX, lightweight 2 stroke, theres even a forum on here specifically for that bike..
Rick

hotcarchick

Mod Ban
Aug 23, 2003
I'll look for that forum rickyd, The only reason I like Honda's is because the're the best priced for what they are that I've seen so far. But if the bike is what I'm looking for and in a reasonable price range I really don't care what it is!

hotcarchick

Mod Ban
Aug 23, 2003
good suggestion OnAnySunday, I've got alot of research to do on all the suggestions I've been getting. Please remember everybody, I need something resonably priced so I don't blow the bank.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Have you been looking at new or used?? Usually a good time too buy is at a motorcycle show if looking for new.. Usually you can find last years model at a reasonable price.. Good luck on your search :)
Rick

hotcarchick

Mod Ban
Aug 23, 2003
By the way one of my friends (he's about 5'8" 116lbs) has a '97 kawasaki 80cc 2 stroke, do you think that would be a good bike, and if so where could I find one?

burchdogs

Mar 7, 2003
yes, a XR100 would be too small. A CRF150 would be a much better choice for a person of you ht. and just wanting to play around. If you want to get a serious a KDX200 might work great.

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
Originally posted by hotcarchick
(he's about 5'8" 116lbs)

Tell that boy to start eatin! :) JK.

Though I have never ridden a KDX200, 99% of what I have read (and the people i've talked to) about it says that it is a great trail bike. A little low on power but there are plenty of mods to gain power. That being the case maybe a stock KDX would be the way to start as you gain skills you can modify the bike to increase the power instead of looking for a new bike.

hotcarchick

Mod Ban
Aug 23, 2003
what about this Kawasaki KDX 200?
Is it a 2 stroke? (stay with me here, I'm new at this)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2434556481&category=50015

Top Bottom