Aug 29, 2007
Hi there, I've been looking to buy a dirtbike for the first time and am wondering just which one I need.

1) Size: 5'11" 150lbs
2) Aggressiveness: Moderate
3) Riding location: Probably woods
4) Experience: None
5) Will I race?: Might, not quite sure
6) Mechanical Skill: Moderate, I will probably be doing my own work for the lighter stuff (chains, forks, etc.)
7) Brand/Motor Preference: No preference for a brand, but I would like a 2-stroke for mechanical simplicity's sake
8) Dealers near me: A few in Vancouver, BC, not sure what they carry
9) Budget: $1500 max. (I'm not that rich)
10) Location: Richmond, BC (not sure about enviro. laws here)
11) Age: 14
12) Other: Would like a bike that has good fuel efficiency (damn, gas is expensive these days). Will probably be buying used (1990's-ish).

What say you, O masters of the bike?

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
KDX200. They go for that on e-bay and craigslist. Thats where I found mine.

Good woods bike if you have the right pipe on it. A motocross 2 stroke wouldn't be that ideal for woods riding only. The KDX has a wider power spread so its good for trails.

Aug 29, 2007
XMotoX said:
KDX200. They go for that on e-bay and craigslist. Thats where I found mine.

Good woods bike if you have the right pipe on it. A motocross 2 stroke wouldn't be that ideal for woods riding only. The KDX has a wider power spread so its good for trails.

Wow, that was fast :whoa: . I have been looking at the KDX's lately. Only one I could find around me was a 1991 KDX250 for $1800. A little bit out of my price range, but I could negotiate him down a bit, maybe. Are parts still widely available for them?

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
I don't know about parts for the 250's, but I think if you wait it out and check both e-bay and craigslist daily, you could find a KDX200/220 for that price easily. Although I don't know how things are in Canada.

But, I think you could find a much better deal on a newer bike than that. I paid $1800 for a 2000 KDX200. But like I said, this is US pricing and availability. I say just keep an eye out for a better deal. One will come eventually.

Top Bottom