beanMR2

May 25, 2008
Please Help Me Choose Between These Bikes

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) - 6'4" 190 lbs.
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? - Very Physical, do Martial Arts
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? - Woods, Dirt Roads, Sand Pit
4) Do you have any riding experience? - Years of Mountain Bike
5) Do you think you will race ? - no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? - Yes, Yes
7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? - Probably a 2 stroke or something comparable on the lower end of the sound scale, unless otherwise suggested.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? - not to my knowledge, going used.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? - Hopefully under $1500, as I only plan to have this 6 months max, but will consider a bit more if I need to if resale is good.
10) Do you live in California? - No
11) Your age? - 22
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

Keep very fit physical shape and will be learning to ride bikes soon so I can take a powerful ride. Open to any suggestion, maybe even a street legal bike as I would have a bit more area to ride.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Last edited:

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
6'4" 190lbs you seriously dont want anything smaller than a 125 2-Stroke or a 250 4-Stroke. Anything else wont have the motor/suspension for you ...

A 250 2-Stroke might be a bit much for the first couple rides though ... Any way you could test drive one and see what you think?

beanMR2

May 25, 2008
Doubtful on the test drive, don't know of anyone that rides around me. A bigger bike doesn't necessarily discourage me, I would rather start off with a steeper learning curve than run out of power after a week or two.

I have 'field' type areas to start out in which are pretty free of obstacles and should be able to serve as a learning track without much difficulty.

Either way I could just use maybe a couple of good suggestions just to keep an eye out in the local used paper, but this would be a pretty rough dirt road ride with trails after a while.

I really appreciate any suggestions.

beanMR2

May 25, 2008
Here are a couple options in my area I have found, anyone care to weigh in?
2002 Suzuki RM250 - $2000, has aftermarket parts
2002 Honda CR125R - $1800
2001 Yamaha YZ250 - $2000
1999 Suzuki RM250 $1200; Bike overhauled on major things (new tire, proaction suspension, ported head, new rings & piston, engine reworked)
1998 XR400R $1400

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
The XR400R would be the "easiet" to learn on, and still PLENTY powerful. The hardest to start. The heaviest to drop. More of a trail bike.

The 05' YZ 250 is a good price.

And really all of the major brand bikes are fine. It's more personal preference than anything. The biggest thing is make sure the bike is clean. If it looks really filthy, its probably really neglected. Dont be afraid to pick up a compression guage and request a compression check on the top-end if its a 2-T. Also, dont forget to look at the front forks. If they are oily, the fork seals are leaking. This sucks. Look really good where the bike was sitting for any stains (Gas, Antifreeze, Oil), make sure the engine is cold to the touch when you first look at it. Be sure that it starts easily ( A two-stroke that is jetted right should take no more than 3 or 4 good kicks. Mine always go on the 1st or 2nd) Once it starts, let it warm up to full operating temperate. Make sure that both the front and rear brakes DO work. Take it out for a spin and shift it up from 1st to 5th (Or 6th if it has it) gear several times to ensure that it shifts smooth. Once you know that it is fully up to temperature, lean forward a bit, get it in 3rd or 4th gear, and run it wide open throttle to redline to make sure the engine runs strong/no odd noises. Now bring it back to an idle. Make sure it idles and doesn't want to stall. Its no fun learning on a bike that you have to give throttle to keep running ...

Check to be sure there is still adjustment left on the chain and clutch. Check that the tires have good knobs left on them and its not all rounded off and ****. And pay attention to ANY weird noises or vibrations. Check the fluid level(If a site glass is present, most 4 strokes it is ) for the oil, etc.

I've found that the cleaner a bike is, the better maintained it is. The guys that are anal about their bikes looking good, and usually the ones who are anal about them running well. They are the ones that throw money at every thing when it goes. And this is the type of anal retentive person you want to buy off of.

Be sure to find out how fresh the top-end is, any reciepts they might have for any work that was done. And find out, FOR SURE, what ratio they mix their oil/fuel at, which fuel they run it on, and what brand oil they have been using.

Good luck man.

Top Bottom