May 1, 2007
Hi guys, im looking for something to play around with and do some serious trail riding with. I am a rather big and dense guy at 6'4" 245 and i need something that i will be comfortable on and that is meant to be ridin by someone of my size. I have been playing around with a Kawasaki KLX 125 and have pushed it as far as it will go and am bored already. I have been looking on the net and locally for something up to $1200 or so and there are a whole lot of options that i have found. I just need to be pointed in the right direction so i know what to look for. I was thinking either a 250cc 2 stroke or a 450+ 4stroke. How much extra work is a 2 stroke over a 4 stroke? I know very little about bikes but am very mechanically inclined and will learn for myself rather quickly im sure. Any help would be great, thanks alot. Rob

ryansck

May 1, 2007
ttr 250

I have found that a ttr-250 Is a real good bike for a person
of your size, the four stroke makes plenty of power and can be nimble even for beginers. the suspension wont bottom out and will have great rebound, and handles suprisingly well over the whoops concerning it is a larger bike, any model after 2000 is great the 05 and 06 models are best, but cost more but you can find them all over for 1grnd... Also two strokes are cheaper to repair but come more often.. i.e. top ends .. a lot; in most cases. I beleive the low end tourqe and long trail durability of a 4 stroke would suit best cause us larger guys would be gunning full throttle on a 2 stroke to get going anywhere.. which gets very annoying after a while.. even more if there piped at 100 db

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I am trying to picture a 6'4" 245 pound guy on a KLX 125. Weren't your knees up in your chest? Yeah, I can see how you would have gotten tired of that.

You certainly need a full size bike. Yamahas tend to have the highest seat heights, there YZ line has a good 8 or 9 inches higher than that KLX 125, which would allow you to stretch your legs out a bit and make it so you weren't coming up from the squat position when you had to stand on the pegs.

I am not sure I understand your question about the extra work for a two stroke. You have to pour a little oil into the can before you fill it with gas, no big deal. You don't have to adjust valves, which can be a big deal. While riding you need to be more attentive to the engine RPM and keep it in the power band. A four stroke is much more forgiving of being run at too low of an RPM, which can really help out when you find yourself in the wrong grear climbing a hill or bouncing through the whoops.

If you haven't ridden anything larger than that KLX then I would suspect that getting on a full size bike will be quite an experience for you. You are talking about a bike that has four times the power of what you have previously riden.

When you look at the models that the major manufacturers (at least the Japanese) offer you will find that they separate into two classifications: "off road" and "MX".

The MX bikes are built for racing. They have high performance engines and long travel suspension. They cost a lot more, and the high performance engines can be harder to start and a bit more finicky and require premium gas. Most are available in either two stroke or four stroke.

Most (if not all) of the "off road" bikes are four stroke. They tend to have detuned engines, allowing them to run on regular gas, easier to kick over, generally easier starting and low end "smoothness". They tend to have lower seat heights, which would not be a good thing for someone your size. They also have reduced wheel travel, which would be an issue if you were to get really aggressive hitting jumps and such.

Getting something suitable in your price range will be an issue. You might be able to find a 5 to 7 year old TTR -250. I would NOT recommend the TTR-225, it would definately be too small for you.

Another very good possibility is to find a 10 year old YZ something. A YZ-125 would be a good bike in your price range, twice as powerful as your current ride and whole lot more comfortable for you. A YZ-250 would be terriffic for you as well, if you can scrape together a bit more cash.

I would also recommend a YZ-450F or WR450F but I doubt that you will find one in your price range.

Rod

May 1, 2007
Alright guys, thanks alot for the suggestions. The KLX actually isnt that uncomfortable for me really. I was a body builder so standing up from a squat isnt that big of a deal :D. Its bad, just not pocket bike bad. I am not expecting to get something new just something that runs decent and will fit me better. I think a 4 stroke is more what i need because most of what i will be doing is riding trails/small jumps at a local bike park that has 100s of miles of trails. For the most part is anything 225cc or over a full sized bike? thanks again

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
robbieisurfriend said:
. For the most part is anything 225cc or over a full sized bike? thanks again

The Yamaha TTR-225 is a bit smaller of a bike, intended for the smaller adults. I would recommend 249 or above for a four stroke.

Rod

May 1, 2007
I have been looking around alot and am actually leaning more toward a 250 2 stroke. Would a Honda CR 250 or Kaw, Suz, Yah equivilent be a comfortable size for me to stretch out on a little bit? The seem to be easy to land in my price range and i have heard good things.

Bohawg00

Apr 27, 2007
I really like my XR250 this is a very good 4 stroke good seat hieght power. I'm only 6' but still 230lbs and it carries me fine. I have a friend that has a CR250 and in the straights he could leave me but in the trails I could keep up with no problem. Of course he wieghs 100lbs less than I do too.

bad96z71

Feb 25, 2006
If you can find one i say a kdx250 91-94 years. my 92 has tons of grunt i can rip through the trails with no problems lacks no power i have beatin my brother 98 yz400 . and kx250. i garantee you would be happy with this bike it is a large bike, bit on the heavy side but for a body builder no problems. good luck

YZrdr250

Oct 16, 2006
xr250s are great bikes, their motor will last forever. if you want a cheap bike get an early 90's late 80's cr or sumthin. i just picked up a 88CR250 for $1000. still has the stock piston. i was neck and neck with an 04 YZ450F

May 1, 2007
Sounds like a 250 2 stroke is about my best option in my price range. I also have a friend that rebuilds bike engines so i can have the life brought back to an old bike. That way maybe i can have a great bike that is fun to ride and still not break the bank. Thanks guys i really appreciate the advise. I suppose i will see ya around on the forums as i plan to frequent.

kingbrian

Jul 20, 2006
94-97 wr250 smoker... its fast in the desert on the trails and you can take it to the track and not be too scurred, oh and im 6'1 and weigh in a 270 pounds mines a 94 with a fatty and a shorty and thats about it

Top Bottom