Bike for Me and Bike for Her or Both? Newbies

bangers1600

Jun 3, 2014
I currently don’t ride nor does my wife but we’d like to learn. I’ve ridden some dirt bikes but it’s probably been 15 years. I’d rather learn on a 2-stroke because I need to learn on how to work on them, repair them, etc...and I’ve never had a person tell me a 4-stroke is easier to work on.

Anyway, I’m curious as to how to go about this because I don’t want to get her something she can’t handle. It will be just for cruising around trails and not really any jumps. So, here’s the delima. I have a chance to pick up a 2001 KX125...She is 5’ 6” 130 lbs. and I’m 6” 180 lbs. I’m guessing the bike is too small for me but is it if I’m just learning before going to a 250?

Is that too much of a bike for her. I’ve read some of the stuff on say the TTR 125 vs. YZ 125 and that it’s about 3x the hp and that the TTR is for 9 year old girls. Should I be looking for a smaller bike for her or do you think this could be a bike we could both learn on because I don't really have the money to buy a 125 and 250 right now. Also, she’s also worried about a 2 stroke having the wheel pull up and flip her backwards. Should I instead go for a 4-stroke? I’m just worried about working on the engine.

Thanks!

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
You need two bikes.

First off, you will want to be able to go riding together, not one at a time.
Second, a bike set up for you will be totally wrong for her.

A two stroke is easier to work on but that shouldn't be your primary concern. Easier to learn on is a major concern.

For yourself, a two stroke might be a good choice since you have had prior dirt bike experience. The choice between a 125 vs 250 is a double edge sword: a 250 can overpower you if you are not careful but a 125 may require a lot more skill to keep in the power band.

How aggressive is your wife on things like this? Is she anxious for this, or are you talking her into it?

Unless your wife is gung-ho and as tough as nails I would recommend making her experience as easy as possible.

Does she have experience with a clutch? If not, a two stroke is a really bad idea. Novice, timid riders want to "putt", and two strokes don't putt well. Two strokes need to "sing". If they aren't screaming they aren't producing power.

A four stroke is much more tolerant of lugging. You don't have to be in the right gear all the time. It may shake and complain but it will develop some power when it slows on a hill.

The KX-125 will also be a bit tall for her to learn on. A full size bike may be fine once she has experience but to start with she will want to be able to put both feet on the ground.

A Yamaha TTR-125 would be a bit small for her but good to learn on. Be advised that there are two versions of the TTR-125: you definitely want the "big wheel" version (19 inch front wheel), also known as TTR-125L. They also come with electric start (TTR-125LE) These bikes tend to hold their value well so it may not seem like a good deal but then you will be able to turn around and sell it for about what you paid for it when it comes time to sell it. They are also very reliable and won't need much maintenance.

A little bit larger bike is a Honda CRF140 / CRF150 .

These bikes have their seat 6 inches lower than the KX-125 will be. They are very reliable and easy to ride.

I bit larger, heavier bike would be a Yamaha TTR-230 or Honda CRF230. These are inexpensive "off road" bikes, not intended for competition. They can be great for trail rides and have a lower seat height than the MX bikes. They a bit lacking in suspension, but until she is ready to start hitting the jumps it probably won't matter.

Consider the idea that whatever your first bikes will be that you will outgrow them fairly quickly. I doubt that you will be happy with a KX-125 for long. If your wife progresses, a TTR won't be good for her for long. But the TTR is great to learn on.

Also consider this: I don't know your wife or how she approaches things, but I have known quite a few women who have been introduced to dirt bikes by their husband/boyfriend. A bike that is hard to handle, like a KX-125, leads to frustration. Frustration leads to dislike. Dislike leads to her not riding. It is often much better to get her a bike that she can enjoy riding slowly rather than expect her to make the quantum leap to full competition MX bike.

Rod

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Top Bottom