Bike for new 22yo rider

Wilco112

Jul 25, 2006
Hey all. I'm brand new to dirt bikes and need your advice. I've never had any experience really before but always sort of had an interest. I bit the bullet and went to the MSF Dirtbike School around me for the one day introduction. It was definitely awkward at first, but everyone was pretty forgiving. I came away with a good feeling. I think I'd like to go ahead and get started with my own used bike and see where it goes from there.

1)size: a hair over 5'10"-- right at 200lb

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?: just starting out -- so not too aggressive I guess--we'll have to see where I go

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Trails for now--screwing around with some friends who have land. I might be interested in going to the track -- but I've got a lot to learn before that.

4) Do you have any riding experience?
MSF dirtbike school only

5) Do you think you will race ?
I'm no where near that right now--but hey maybe in the future if I get better? I'm not sure right now.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?

I consider myself pretty handy but I'd need help for major work

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?

I've heard good things about Yamaha and Honda. I've heard 4 stroke recommended for new people but interested in what others have to say.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Yeah I've got a Yamaha and Honda dealer pretty close by--there's a Suzuki dealer not too far away too.

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
I'm fortunate enough to have some money to work with (working hard this summer) -- Since I'm just starting out I don't think i want to lay out more than $3k including safety gear which I don't have right now. I could spend more if I really thought it was worth it

10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I'm totally new to this, liked what I saw riding once and want to keep going with it. I've got a year left of college and then I'll be getting a fulltime job.

Last edited:

blink13

Jul 8, 2006
I think the best bike for you would be a used KTM 200EXC. It can be tame to learn on if you don't hammer on it, and its a blast to rip on once you get good. It is a trail bike but still could be used on the track if you want. Its a 2 stroke so it would be easier to re-do the motor. I feel like a 125 2stroke wouldn't keep you entertained for too long and a 250f would be too expensive. Maybe you can start looking at 250 2 strokes, i believe that Yamaha and KTM have the best 250s around.

bikesnob

Jul 5, 2006
KTM's make great machines, Nothing like riding orange. Good luck.

Wilco112

Jul 25, 2006
blink, thanks for the reply. I don't know much about KTM besides the name. Is there any big differences between KTM and Honda/Yamaha like maintenance? It sounds like you recommend a 250 2T.

I looked at Yamaha's newer bikes and saw the wr250f and the yz250f -- both of which were 4T. It looked like the WR was more of a trail bike and the YZ was more of a track bike. The YZ250 was the only 2T and looked like it might be overkill for mainly trail riding. Looking at Honda it's all 4T except for the CR250R which looks like overkill too. Seems like for trail focused bikes there's a lot of four strokes. KTM had a lot of 2 strokes it looked like. Besides easier maintenance is there another reason you recommend a two stroke over a four stroke?

I looked through **** motors real quick and saw a 2000 200EXC that looked like it would go for around 2k so that's within my range. Saw a 2002 YZ250 for around 2k on there too. I'll try to look around locally and see what's available.

Apr 18, 2006
I could tell you to look into a KDX 200/220r. Both bikes are 2stroke, but are made for woods riding. Though they have enough power throughout for anything. I took mine around the tracks a few times, the suspension wasnt the greatest but, as I say that I also think to myself taking your body and breakin the effects of gravity by jumpin your bike usually will never feel natural. Lots of money has been spent on my KX suspension. I cant tell, ha maybe I just dont pay good attention. I have found many KDX's for under 2Gs and they look brand new. Hey honestly there is a forum just4kdx's on this website. I got one when I was 12, for years the bike rode me, then I graduated from 3 or 4 wrecks a ride to none at all. :cool: Ha I began riding the bike and being in controll. The bike still had more power laying around even when I was getting better. Hope this helps. You can remember. If you find a good deal on any type of bike. Retailers everywhere sell items by the thousands which can put your bike in the right shape for you. I hope you have fun, this is the good part looking, searching, buying again. I just recently got back into it after a few years in the Army. I am 22 as well. Good Luck!

blink13

Jul 8, 2006
Well to answer your question, not only do i like 2 strokes because they are pretty cheap to fix (a whole topend for my yz with piston and rings is around 150), i think they are a blast to ride. The reason im not really suggesting a four stroke, especially a race bike is because right now, that is what all the motoxers use so they are high priority. They are holding their value really well and take a lot to fix the top end. I dont know exactly about how much redoing a 4stroke motor is but it will be in the grand area if you chop a valve or something. I use my yz125 in the woods and have no problems with a stock sprocket and no flywheel weight. Sure you gotta be on the pipe for a motocross bike, but theres really no other feeling like throwin up 4th gear roost when you hit the powerband. I honestly think the 200 EXC would be the best for you. Its got good low end, so you wont stall it in trails often, but it still has the top end powerband hit that 2strokes are known for. Sure the kdxs are cheaper, but i feel like they are less powerful and fun than the ktm 200s. KTM and gas-gas are basicly the only company that still produce great trail 2strokes. The wr250f is good on trails too, but really id pick a 2stroke over it. What you really got to do to decide wether you want a 2st or 4st is go and ride them. Also about the yz250, it will manhandle you until you know how to ride it, but once you get the hang of it (like 2 weeks most) than you will rip. Many people love their yz250s in trails with a flywheel weight. Sorry about the rambling i hope you can follow. My bottom line is get the KTM 200EXC and i guarantee that you will love it.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I think the KTM 200EXC and the Kawasaki KDX200/220 are both good suggestions for someone in your shoes. I would also expand my search to include the Yamaha WR250F and the Honda CRF250X.

Apr 18, 2006
I agree with Chili 100 percent. You want something Nibble for getting used to riding. Those 2 bikes still got plenty of power and room for improvement for you in the future as you progress your riding.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…