Bike for the wife

mrsrd88

Feb 10, 2007
I'm looking to buy a bike for my wife preferably used as I'm not sure she'll ever ride it. My thoughts are to go w/ a 4 stroke for the ease of ride but not quite sure after that. She is about 5'8" tall and weights about 140lbs. Would not be ridden on a MX track but only on trails and dirt w/ friends. If possible would not mind a bike that could do double duty if other friends came along. Thanks

trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
You didn't say how well she rides. I have a Honda CRF150F and it's an awesome bike if she's a moderate rider. It might be a bit small for her tho. I'm 5'8 and 145, but I liked being able to put both feet on the ground and if I crashed it was easy to pick back up and restart even on hills. I just stepped up to a KTM 200 XC-W and that's def not a beginners bike nor for the timid rider. Also big $$! You can get the 150 fairly cheap. Brand new shouldn't be more than $3K.

I don't know much about the KDX, but they have an excellent track record.

mrsrd88

Feb 10, 2007
She's a beginner rider. Has been on a 80 2 stroke before and was comfortable riding around

Nov 25, 2006
My XR/crf and kdx200 suggestion still stands, but i would also look for a 125 smoker. At 5'8" she would be just fine on those.

Pushin50

Dec 18, 2006
A crf 150 or 230 would be a good bet. The electric start is a wonerful thing on a 4-stroke. I have one of every size in the crf playbike line up. We have pig roast/dirt bike parties in the summer. and the 150 is the favorite bike for my friends who like to just buzz around the track and the woods. The 230 has more power and suspention and is better for the larger adults and teenagers.

trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
A crf 150 or 230 would be a good bet.
Just check the weight on the 230. The 150 is about 240 lbs - I think the 230 is way heavy.
would also look for a 125 smoker. At 5'8" she would be just fine on those.
Dunno about that - I'm 5'8 and the reason I went orange was because they have the lowest seat height. The YZ was tallest and the CR was in the middle. The smokers are nice and light tho.

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
Friend of mine bought his 13yr old daughter a TTR125 neat little 4-stroke. He brought her over to teach her to ride in the pasture... next time he came over he has a second TTR125 in his truck, this one was for his wife. She learned quick and easy and they periodically stop by and ride in the fields. Both got on our MX track... didn't fair to well, it was fun watching and perhaps more fun listening to the screams and new words I learned when they would freak on a jump face and stop... Point being both gals had a lot of fun and the bikes fit their skill (none) well. Thought about getting my wife one but the monies went into the YZ and KX instead.

It's not all about power all the time... sometimes, low maintenance, ease of learning, and broad skill level bikes can be the most fun. Wish I'd practice what I preach...

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Get a TT-R125LE, or some equally small bike with electric start.

Sorry, a 125 two-stroke is about the worst possible choice you could make and it virtually guarantees your wife will never, EVER go riding. In fact, ANY MX bike is a bad choice.

A KDX200 is an equally bad choice because it is relatively tall and heavy.

You want small, light, and electric start for this application. Why? For one, she'll be WAY more confident if she can flat-foot the bike (see trailqueen's comments above). If she's not confident, this isn't fun. Along the same lines, the surest way to turn her off on riding is to put her on some big, heavy pig that she can't hold up when she stops in a bad spot. Her getting pinned under the bike when it falls over not only exposes her to potential burn injuries but it is also sure to sour her on riding. You also want that E-start because kick-starting the bike for the 15th time after she stalls it, yet again, is yet another way to take the fun out of it. Remember, she's not into riding like you or I, so if it isn't fun right off the bat she's not going to keep plugging away at it, she'll just quit.

Yes, if she takes to riding then more than likely the TT-R will be outgrown fairly quickly. Don't fall for the idea of getting something she'll "grow into" because that will be too much machine for her to learn on at first. Yes, it will cost you a bit more money this way. Would you rather have the extra money or would you rather have your wife interested in riding with you? Hint: the latter makes future bike-related purchases a LOT easier.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
I just bought my girlfriend a 2003 RM 100. It's the same as the KX100. She is 5'5". We looked at the TTR125L, the big wheel model, and it was too small for her. Take your wife to a dealer and have her sit on different bikes. Remember, the new bikes suspension hasn't sagged yet.

At 5'8", she would be comfortable on an; XR200, KTM200, KX125, KDX200/220. The CRF150/230 are trail bike with little suspension and are very heavy compared to the previously mentioned bikes.

CRF150 223 lbs
CRF230 238 lbs
KX 125 192 lbs
KX/RM100 150 lbs

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=99796

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…