Perpetrate

Nov 17, 2003
We are looking for my wifes 1st dirt bike. She rips on the quads in both sand and on the trails. She is 5'7" and has never used a thumb thottle!!! She has a high confidance level but does not want to get hurt. So I was thinking a 250F would be to tall for a new rider yet a small bike like the TT-R125LE might be to small. What are some good bikes inbetween.

What are you girls riding, and what is the largest bike she could get with our being to much for trail riding.

husky2kawi

Sep 13, 2003
Hi,
I am 5'8 1/2", and I ride a KDX 200. Not as snappy as a 250, but has nice power for a beginner. My hubby put in Boysen reeds in it this Oct. and I could tell a difference. I need stiffer suspension, tho, cuz I am a bigger person, but it works. This was my 2nd summer riding.
I do have my heart set on a YZ 250, next summer, tho. Gonna get a little gutzier. :-) Wanna be on my hubby's tail!!!
Just my input...
Pam

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I wouldn't necessarily overlook the 250's since you can make some modifications to lower them a bit.  Cut the seat down, cut the subframe, etc.  But if you don't feel like doing that there are a lot of other bikes out there.  There are just as many opinions on them all.   Is it possible to try out a few bikes before you decide? 

I ride a kTm 250rfs and my first bike was an XR250.  I'm 5'10" so the bike height didn't really matter.  I think your wife would really love the kTm250rfs as I do and many others as well.  The electric start is a great feature as well as the smooth power.  Its also a lot more fun to ride than the XR.  Just gotta try it.  Plus, there's now a big bore kit for when she's ready for more power.

Good luck! :thumb:

KDXgirl

May 10, 2003
I have a KDX200 for trail riding and a RMZ250 for motocross and I think either bike would be good. The new generation baby thumpers are incredibly light weight, easy enough to start without a button and the Honda and Kawasukis have a low seat height. I am a short 5"4 and can manage ok.
After riding the 250f my KDX now feels like a tank however it is still a great bike for the beginner/intermediate rider and can be set up a bit better for the more advance power. Its not too peaky being a 2 stroke either.
The TTR125s are fairly small bikes and if she is ripping on quads then may out grow the ttr125 fairly quickly

Perpetrate

Nov 17, 2003
I was thinking she would out grow a small bike with in the year already. But the little bike are so cheap. Jump up to a real bike and the price doubles. Oh well, I guess I will work more to ride more!

My 1st BIG bike after the 80 was a KDX200, great trail bike, easy to ride.

I love KTM's and will look into the baby thumpers for her, and me. lol!!!

Before I buy I will borrow a TT-R125L, a TT-R250 that a budy has and give her advice to what she will grow into vs what is comfy now.

Thanks for your help. Any other advice?

KDXgirl

May 10, 2003
As far as I know the KTM 200 may be better than the KTM250 four stroke. I had thought of the KTM250f and was told by several people that they are not at the same standard as the others because of them being in the 400/450 frame and unfortuntely for people who like mangos they are focusing on their 2 stroke range at the moment.

There is a big difference size wise in the ttr 125 and the ttr250. A few of my friends (girls) ride the ttr 250 and this is a great all round bike powerwise, seat height and with the button but those things are damn heavy so unless she lifts weights for a living may have trouble lifting them up.

Not sure what its like over there for price of bikes but you can pick up some decent second hand wr250fs over here for the same price as the new ttr125s so that is another option there.
We also have the DRZ125, DRZ250, KLX250 and KLX125 which are all 4 strokes so they may be options as well as the CRF150 and CRF230

Personally I would be sticking to the 250fs or the 2 stroke 200s because she is tall and has experience

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
At 5'7" I wouldn't even consider the TTR/KLX/DRZ125 range.
I'm 5'3" & ride a KDX200 & TTR125L & while I find the TTR a bit small, I'm using it as a confidence builder. I'm starting to think about getting the tall seat for it, but honestly don't want to spend much on it (I feel guilty enough about even having bought the bike).

Another bike to consider is the Gas Gas 200 or Pampera.

Did you convert her quads to twist throttles? I can't get my head around the thumb throttle, even though I've been told it's easier to get used to (you mention she's never used a thumb throttle, which in my mind is a good thing hehehe).

Good luck & let us know what you decide & how it goes.

Perpetrate

Nov 17, 2003
The first thing I do when I got the quads new was rip the thumb throttle off and put a motion pro twist in its place. Which means that she knows "all" the controls and only has to adapt to the balance and seat height aspects of the convertion from 4 wheels to 2. I feel guilty buying a 250 thumper because I will want to ride it more than her.

Seat time will be the only way to know what she will be comfertable with. It is good to have friends that have the bikes I am looking at to try out. Now I just need to get her modivated to try it them. She is very tired of getting beat up on the quads and is ready to take the smooth ride on 2 wheels.

Thanks again!

Ride More Work Less

ChknLittle

~SPONSOR~
Nov 7, 2003
I'm a little over 5'7" and just switched from a quadracer to a TTR225, and I LOVE it. It has great power for the steep hills in trail riding (I'm afraid becuase of the suspension it would suck for MX racing), and is the perfect height for someone my size. It's just tall enough that you can sit comfortably with your knees a little bent, but you aren't scrunched up. It's not too heavy either - I know because I let the darned thing fall over on me while sliding backwards down a hill the other day. I do feel a little guilty over the electric start, and it's not really a super zippy bike for doing wheelies and that sort of thing, but I love it nonetheless. They're reasonably priced as well (if you can find a used one like I did), so you can always move her up to a 2 stroke if she graduates! Good luck! Michelle

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Currently I ride a KTM200mxc. I'm 5'10 so bike height isn't really an issue for me but weight is. I won't even consider owning a bike I can't pick up. I've ridden most of the bikes mentioned here, KTM200 and 250rfs, GG200, KDX200, Pampera, TTR-125L, TTR250 as well as the TTR225. For what it's worth, if any, I'll give you my opinion on each based on my personal experience......

KTM200 - light and zippy, sometimes a little too zippy, this thing still has a tendancy to get away from me if I'm not careful and I'm working on some ways to mellow it out. Fast bike, when someone else is on it. :confused:

KTM250rfs - FUN FUN FUN!! Didn't even need the E-start, I could practically 'kick' start it with my hand! Nice and smooth. I don't recall what the weight is but I believe it is only slightly heavier than my 200 which is about 225.

KDX200 - also FUN FUN FUN. My ex-boyfriend had one and that thing was like a cadillac. A little heavier than I prefer but a good all around bike. I've seen some excellent riders do some pretty amazing things on a KDX!

TTR250 - Another cadillac but I can only use one word to describe it, HEAVY!!! My boyfriend sold his last year. When I was getting too beat up on my bike we would switch so I could cruise the 'cadillac' back to camp. :)

TTR225 - TANK!!! The few women I've known who had these bikes did not keep them long.

TTR125L - small but another FUN bike. I'd like to get one as a 2nd bike just to mess around on and use as pit bike because I just enjoy them so much.

GG200 - I've only ridden one once but the weight and size was right. Slightly more mellow 'hit' than the KTM.

Pampera - fun bike, great maneuverability, will tractor up damn near anything. I know several women who have them and just love them. One of them got a Pampera last year and her riding skills/confidence have improved immensely ever since. A little small for me though and a little underpowered in my opinion, at least with me on it. :confused:

Can't really say much about the 250f. I've only ridden one once and I damn near killed myself on it. I know a couple of girls on them though and they just love them.

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
this thing still has a tendancy to get away from me if I'm not careful and I'm working on some ways to mellow it out.

Do you have a flywheel weight for your 200? That's what I did to mine, and it's worked wonders. If you need a little more control go with the 9 oz, if you need a lot more go with the 12 oz. Personally, I have the 9 oz and it works great for me.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
It does have a heavier fly wheel on it already. I'm not sure what the weight is though, I'll have to check that out tonight.

Perpetrate

Nov 17, 2003
We sat on some bikes at the dealer and the 250s were a little to tall for her. She might be more intimidated by the size and weight. I know it would sage a little but if it is to tall on flat ground, the hill side would be worse. You only get 1.5" max if you lower the forks in the clamps and loosen the preload on the shock.

She really liked the TT-R 125L. She could touch both feet, controls were closer and it felt more like her mountain bike then the full size bikes did. She did not like the look of the TT-R 225, she said it looked smashed.

I might consider some BBR triple clamps and new bars so that she would be more comfertable standing up. Even if I keep it for 2 years she can learn alot on a smaller bike that will help her ride larger ones.

I will try to borrow a 125L this weekend if Chris is not taking his kids.

KDXgirl

May 10, 2003
hmm are you sure she is 5"7 then? Because Im 5"4 and can touch on the 250's except the yamaha YZ/WR, the TTR is shorter and can get both feet to the ground.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
You can also get a tall seat for the TTR125. Whatever you end up getting, it has to be your wife's choice, we can only point you in directions to look at. If you buy a bike thinking it's the right one for her & it's not, she'll hate it & not want to ride. If she buys a bike & finds it's not the right one, she'll ride it to prove it's fine (yeah, I'm speaking from experience but I still think the 80 was cute).

The TTR125 is a fun bike to ride. If you get one, get rid of the stock chain "guide" & get a BBR one or something. It's just a piece of plastic which'll direct the chain in the general direction of where it wants to go, but not really do anything. Thankfully, mine didn't hole the cases or anything, it just bounced off going up a steep hill. A minor inconvenience, but one I knew would happen eventually. Stock chain headed for the bin now, o-ring hopefully to go on.

Do see if you can track down a Pampera to try as well. I know they have their problems too, but the women I know over here who've got one, absolutely love them. They've only just started being imported here, but already seem to be popular.

RockyRoads

Sponsoring Member
Aug 28, 2003
I'm 5'7" and learned to ride on a TTR125L starting in April of this year. I absolutely LOVED that bike and told my husband after every ride, "I think Yamaha built this bike just for me!" It was so much fun and so very forgiving of my many mistakes. It was easy to start (always 1st or 2nd kick), and I could put both feet flat on the ground; the power was smooth, and I developed a lot of trust in the bike being able to handle difficult or tricky terrain. It was great for my self-confidence.

In August, however, I felt that I was ready to move up to a bigger bike--I had ridden street bikes previously and progressed faster on a dirt bike than I anticipated. So now I'm riding a CRF230F, and I really love it. (Yes, I also think that Honda built this bike just for me!) I considered getting an even bigger bike, but my learning curve is still pretty steep, and I wanted a bike where I wouldn't have any problems putting my feet down on the side of a hill (I only do trail riding, with lots of hills, and often ride by myself).

I haven't ever regretted any of my bike choices, despite LOTS of advice that I should get bigger bikes before both of my purchases. At least for me, many of the challenges that come with riding are in my mind--i.e., if I'm thinking "Oh, I can't do that", I've already set myself up for failure. So feeling comfortable on my bike, and believing that the bike and I are working "together" (as opposed to me trying to "tame" a bike that's too much for my skill level at this point) is critical in my riding.

Everyone likes to learn in a different manner (i.e., some people like a zone of comfort, some want a tremendous challenge, and others are all along the spectrum in between). So you will get a lot of different opinions. Good luck, and let us know what your wife ends up getting!

Last edited:

TwistNShout

Nov 19, 2003
This is a real toughy I know because I have been there. My only recommendation that I could possibly add to all the other great suggestions is to let her make her own choice. Don't try to talk her into a bike that is a little too big for her, hoping she'll grow into it. Sometimes it happens & sometimes it doesn't. But, if at all possible, let her make the final decision unless you feel strongly that you know something that she doesn't.

Stacie_KDX11

Oct 10, 2003
I ride a KDX 200 and Im 5'5 and I fit on it ok. 250F I don't think would be a good first bike. That is what I think. I just got off a TTR125L and it was short, I don't know how tall the TTR125LE is. A 4 stroke 125 would be much power. If she can drive a 4 weeler good I personaly don't think she would like a 4 stroke. Go with a 2 stroke. If she likes trails a KDX 200 is not that hard to get use to and its has power but she shound not get thrown off it. :)

bratt

Pain in da butt
Mar 22, 2002
I am 5'7" and I fit comfortably on an 01 CR125 and an 03 yz250f. My first bike was the 01 cr125 and at that time I didn't know anything about dirtbikes, all I knew was I didn't want to start on something I would have to sell in a couple of months because I had outgrown it. I never felt intimidated or discouraged by the bike or felt like it was "too much" bike. I switched to the yz250f two years later and it suites my riding style much better. If I had known anything about bikes when I started I would have gone straight to the yzf. I am extremely happy with the bike, the power delivery, and the handling, but I also primarily ride/race MX. I have ridden the yzf in woods and on trails and it is a handful. The stiff suspension that I love on the track tends to be a bit harsh in the trails and the snappy throttle keeps you on your toes in the trees. I recently got the chance to borrow a kTm 250 RFS for a trail ride and I was really impressed. If I could afford to have both a "woods" bike and an MX bike the RFS would be my "woods" bike choice hands down. I can't say enough good things about that bike. Hope this helps a little. Sounds like your gf is aggressive enough to handle learning on a larger bike if she chooses.

Perpetrate

Nov 17, 2003
Yes my wife is agressive enough to learn on a big bike but I can not teach her confidance on the trail. She will have to earn that on her own. She is affraid of crashing and not knowing what she is capable of doing. Its hard for me to slow down and take a step back, I forget about how hard the basics are to learn. I started to ride at 4, raced at 8 and was top 10 in D36 Enduro for the 95-97 seasons. I am a few points away from an A in Enduro and B everything else.

She is against riding on full size bike, for her 1st bike. I should have made her ride my KTM 250 (with a taller seat) to see if she could. I do not want to rush her into problems which will lead to not liking riding.

She thought the 125L was to small for her and it reminded her of a kids bike. She likes the predicable power of the 4 strokes in the dirt and was wanting more power by the end of the day. We sat on the TT-R225 again and it seamed more like the right size. Way to heavy, soft seat and forks though!

She is more conserned about Color than Quality. Blue or black are her colors, but I am the one that is going to buy it. Damn I want a new bike too!!!

Has anyone regreted getting a bike that was to much...?

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Nope! ;) Just kidding, just kidding.

I started out on a KLX300. Had I started out on my CR500 I'm not sure what would have happened. I know I would have more battle wounds and if I did survive I'm not sure how well it would have helped my confidence level.

The KLX had issues like being difficult to start and being front end heavy BUT it also had benefits. The engine braking was helpful for learning confidence on downhills. The tractability was helpful for learning how to ride more technical areas where slow was more comfortable. The power was smoother and easier to control than my CR and I just felt comfortable on it.

The fourstrokes are heavy BUT they offer some qualities for beginners that offset the weight. Most fullsize bikes are heavy anyways - the easier it is to ride the better for a beginner.

Two strokes are lighter but not nearly as forgiving if you don't have clutch control & throttle control down pretty well. Not a big deal on a track or open riding BUT in tight woods it can be painful.

As long as she is comfortable on the bike and can touch the ground fairly easily she should be fine.

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
I'm 5'8" and started this spring on a DR-Z250. Four-stroke and electric start made it really easy to learn. Never thought it was too big for me and haven't had trouble picking it up. Sooner or later I'd like something bigger, but it's been fun so far.

But I have a friend who is the same height as me but she is just super skinny - so she can barely touch her feet to the ground on my bike because when she sits on it, her weight doesn't compress the suspension AT ALL(obviously not set up for her - so you could probably fix that part). And she definitely can't pick it up. She tried learning on an XR250 and she hated it - same situation. Then she got a CRF230F and loves it - rides much more aggressively because she's not scared of the bike - she can pick it up, move it around... Plus she's so light that the fact that it's less powerful doesn't mean much.

KDXgirl

May 10, 2003
I've been thinking about a bike for your wife lately and from what has been written the only bike that I can come up with (that I know of over here in Australia) is the CRF230. I know its not blue/black but chuck some new plastics on it! The bike seems to offer everything she wants, the not to tall/not to short seat height, button, 4 stroke so not too peaky. The only thing I am unsure of is the weight of these things as I have heard they are on the heavy side but I cant imagine them being heavier than the TTR. It sounds like a good bike for a beginner that can be taken through to the intermediate rider.

Top Bottom