jkupers

Jun 14, 2006
My wife currently has a TTR125L that is too small. I was about to buy her a TR230 when I came up with a thought. How bout a YZ85? This way, my oldest son can step into this bike next.

She's 5'6
150#
Conservative rider
Intermediate level
Mostly trail rides

I realize the YZ is a lot of bike, but the seat height seems like it would be comfortable for her and we'll get more use of it. The weight of the 230 has her kinda worried as well and the 85 would be a super light bike. She would really like this aspect of it. Please let me know.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I'm 5'4", 145 lbs and manage on my 125. At her height and weight an 85 may feel too small. I feel cramped on an 85.

How about a big wheel 85, the KX100

OR

a new 2007 CRF150 Expert (Big Wheel). The CRF is a 4 stroke MX bike and would have lots more low end power than the 85 for ease of trailriding. It would feel like the TTR on lots of steroids.

Last edited:

jkupers

Jun 14, 2006
I know exactly what you're saying. I've been researching those bikes as well. Her main concern other than height is weight, and the motocross bikes are so much lighter. I realize the 2strokes will be a learning experience for her, but she has pretty good throttle control.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
You can pick up a KX100 pretty cheap and it can be made into a great trail bike.

When i was married the wife went from a ttr125L to the KX100 and absolutly loved the KX100. She wouldn't even look at the ttr anymore. Now she is on a Pampera.

jkupers

Jun 14, 2006
Yeah, I'm looking at the KX100 pretty hard. it's 80 pound lighter than the ttr230, so wife would like that. They seem pretty reasonable in price too! What can I do to improve bottom end to make it easier for her to ride on the trails?

jkupers

Jun 14, 2006
What about the CR85Expert? I can get a great deal on this bike. I realize the YZ is a handful, and I'm really leaning toward the KX more, but after seeing this deal on the CR, I'm considering it now too.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
The CR85 Expert is the big wheel I was talking about. The big wheels aren't going to "stretch" the cockpit any, though - they just make the bike a couple inches taller.

The KX 100 would have more power and somewhat more weight.

If the weight of the bike is the PRIMARY concern, then look towards the big wheel 85s. The CRF 150 165-170 pounds depending on wheel size. A CR85 Expert big wheel is 145 pounds.

Still, the low/mid power of the 4 stroke would likely make for an easier transition. It is a first model year design, though. . .

. . . then again, it's a Honda, so it probably won't have many problems if you follow the maintenance schedule.

Of course, any of them will likely be as light or lighter than what she is currently on and all of them will have 2+ times the peak power.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
jkupers said:
Yeah, I'm looking at the KX100 pretty hard. it's 80 pound lighter than the ttr230, so wife would like that. They seem pretty reasonable in price too! What can I do to improve bottom end to make it easier for her to ride on the trails?

Gearing change?

Flywheel weight?

Overbore?

That's about it, isn't it.

jkupers

Jun 14, 2006
I never thought about the cockpit area. I guess I'll just have to sit her on one and see. I was mainly concerned with the bike holding 150 pounds of weight.

jkupers

Jun 14, 2006
She sat on the RM85 today and it seemed like a good height, even before taking into account the RM85L, which I think would be even better. Still not sure about the cockpit area, she was cramped when she sat in the cradle. But seemed comfortable toward the back of the seat. I guess I'm no closer now than I was before.

ThunderGoat

Sep 16, 2006
I would defenitly stay away from any 80cc two stroke bike for 2 reasons. No low end power what so ever on the trails, and really just too small for her even though she isnt that big. I think id stay with a four stroke because just smoother better power unless your used to a two stoke and the smallest two stroke for her would be a 125. Crf150 would probably be perfect for power weight and all else. Just my opinion..... which isnt worth much to some lol

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
jkupers said:
She sat on the RM85 today and it seemed like a good height, even before taking into account the RM85L, which I think would be even better. Still not sure about the cockpit area, she was cramped when she sat in the cradle. But seemed comfortable toward the back of the seat. I guess I'm no closer now than I was before.

She doesn't want to be on the back of the seat - my personal experience on numerous occasions proves that that will virtually guarantee a washout of the front end in corners. ;)

An 85 is a nice height for me, too - I can touch both feet on the ground comfortably. On my 125 - even with a cut seat and subframe - I can barely get both tiptoes. With the normal seat I'm touching one tiptoe.

But, the cockpit fits me really well, so I deal with it. The height is only a problem in two situations - slow off camber corners (woods) and starts (MX). I can fix the start problem with a block of wood.

When I got back into riding, I considered the 85s and EVERYONE on here told me to get a 125. I can't argue now.

Within reason, I'd be more concerned with the cockpit fit than the seat height. Find something that fits her in the riding position and then do what it takes to fix the bike so she can at least touch both tip toes. Take into account that you should set the sag at (if I recall) about 3 inches on an 85.

I just checked - the KX100 does have a larger frame than an 85.

BTW, there are FASTWAY adjustable footpegs that would allow you to adjust the position of the pegs up/down and forward/back.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Seriously, if money is not a big deal, check out the new '07 CRF150R Expert/Big Wheel. The frame is basically an 85 frame, but the big wheel adds 2 more inches of clearance. And since it is a MX bike, not a woods version, it's still pretty light compared to a bigger CRF250X/CRF250R, for example. And the four-stroke power would be easier to control, especially in the trails, plus she's already used to the TTR four-stroke motor. I'm about your wife's size (5'5", 140 lbs) and I ride a 250F, it's great for MX, but it is still a little big for the trails. Of course I have shaved my seat some, adjusted the sag, etc to help with the height, but yes, for a beginner, it would eb a little heavy, especially in the tighter stuff. If I was primarily a trail rider, I would be all over the new CRF150R Expert right now! If money is a big factor, she might be happy with a KX/RM 100. I've spent some time on one, and it is a fun bike, just a little pipey.

jkupers

Jun 14, 2006
nikki, that is EXACTLY the bike I'd like to buy her, but I really wanted to stay in the $2500 range or less for now.

Thanks Thundergoat, that's good to know about the low end of the 85's.

I think I've decided to just put a ttr225 spring on the rear of her ttr125L to raise it and put a tall seat on it, and then buy her the CRF150R Expert next fall. I feel the CRF150R will be a great bike for her since I think she can manage the cockpit size of the 85's, but she'll need the low end of the 4-stroke I've learned from you guys.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I think maybe sticking with the TTR125 for now is the best option. Big Lou on here did some mods to his TTR125 (suspension, tall seat, etc.) and it's a blast to ride. I turned a few laps on it in the woods and on a track and had a good time with it.

Here are just some weights and seat heights I pulled on the '07 Hondas to get an idea by bike. As you see the CRF230 is a HUGE PIG! Outweighs the CRF450R by another 20 lbs.!!! Wow! :yikes:

The F's are the "trail" bikes, R's are the MX bikes, and the "X" is basically a CRF250R for off-road.

Bike... Weight.. Seat Height
CR80R 145 lbs. 34”
CRF150R 165 lbs. 33”
CRF150R-E 170 lbs. 34”
CRF250R 204 lbs. 38”
CRF450R 219 lbs. 38”
CRF150F 223 lbs. 33”
CRF250X 225 lbs. 38”
CRF230F 238 lbs. 34”

Just another suggestion/question... what do you ride? Has she ever tired/considered a 250F, or a KTM/KDX 200? It's a "full-sized" bike but the weights aren't too bad, as you see above. Plus you can mod the seat height a little, but I know that 4" can make a big difference. Plus, I do see a handful of 250F's for sale in the $2000-2500 range.

jkupers

Jun 14, 2006
Thanks for the info. I ride a YZ450F, and just recently sold a TTR250 that she couldn't even get her tip toes to the ground without boots on. Plus, she was just way intimidated by the weight of the TTR230 and 250. I'd love to get her a 250F but I think it might be more work than I'd like to do to get the seat height down where it needs to be (aren't they like 39"?).

I'm going back to the 125 modifications again. I am trying to locate a cheap 225 or 230 shock to see if it will work. I'd read that it was a direct fit on thumpertalk.com.

ncorrieri

Jun 17, 2006
ive seen teletubbies on both. never worry about your wifes weight for any bike you throw her way.

personally a 4 stroke would be more low end friendly. an 85 2s with a quirky powerband may chuck her the first time it hits when shes not expecting.

ThunderGoat

Sep 16, 2006
yeah 80cc bikes have no bottom end but when they hit power band they tear like heck for a small bike which can mean easy flip over especially if your on back of seat

Top Bottom