gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I'm considering getting a bike to ride in some HS events next year. I need a bike that will be as friendly to an old fart that sits behind a desk all day long. I live in the upper Ohio Valley, so there will be STEEP hills on some of the races. Current ride is a KX500 but it's a bit much for my aging bones to ride in a race.

These are some of the ideas crawling around my head.

The bike will be a two stroke. Probably a Kaw. Definitely low budget.

Big bore 125 or 250 or KDX?

Auto clutch?

Unfortunately, I've never ridden a KDX. I'm just a little affraid that I won't like the power and suspension.

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
The KDX is a worthy bike and can be competitive with modifications. I've had a 250F, big bore 125's, 250 two strokes and even an ATK 400. I have now had two KTM 200's and I'm getting ready to by my third; I think they are really hard to beat.

friar tuck

Feb 9, 2006
Hey! We've got a lot in common. Old fat, sits behind a desk, Ohio resident! lol I hadn't ridden in too many years, and picked up an RM250 last year that I plan to run in some HS next year. Myself and a couple other older guys plan on riding some during the winter. If you ever get up near Crow Canyon (Uhrichsville) or Elson Street Riding Park (Malvern?), let me know. We just bomb around on trails and play on the hills.

djj

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 18, 2003
250 2-strokes are hard to beat, A-clutch even makes them better for woods riding. You seem to be a green type of person, the KX250 has always been a good woods conversion.
Oh and from one old fart to another, buy the economy sized Avil bottle. :rotfl:

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Ah, it's nice to be in the company of other old farts. Thanks for the pointers. I bet a woodsified 250 would be a great bike. And the most similar to what I have now.

If I did an auto clutch, would that have any impact on the need for a flywheel weight?

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I have nothing against KTMs. I rode a 300 EXC and it seemed to be faster than my 500! But I have this thing about lime green...... KTMs seem to hold a higher price than the J brands too. That sure says something.

Akira

Aug 29, 2003
I am curently on a 2005 YZ 250. The only thing that i have added to it is a set of bark busters. I would also go with any KTM two stroke, I prefere the 250xc-w.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
the rekluse adds a noticeable flywheel effect. this may vary depending on how you set it up, I don't know; I tried 1 on a ktm 250 for a couple of rides & then sold it.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Well I did it. Got me an '02 KX two fiddy. Came with a Pro Circuit Platinum pipe and a few other goodies. Real nice low hour bike. Frame is still nice and shiny.

Will the stock tank be adequate for HS? I sure don't want to run out of gas.

I figure I'll try it out as is and then mod as needed. Not sure that I want to do the auto clutch or not. I'd sure like to try one before I buy one.

djj

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 18, 2003
Yes a test ride with an A-clutch would be a good idea. I've converted about 8 hard core manuel clutch guys to A-clutches after they ride my bike. But if you can find someone with one it sure would help you. :blah:

Top Bottom