Bike is bogging down and kick start is stuck

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
First off, I have a '97 Suzuki RM125. I just got it on Friday, its my first bike. I rode it for a couple hours on friday, and about an hour yesterday with no trouble at all.

It rained by my house earlier today and when it let up a bit I took my bike out to go riding. After riding for around 20 minutes, right when I hit a straight away after a turn and hit the throttle, the bike bogged out. I tried pulling the clutch and hitting the throttle a bit to keep it going, but it bogged nonetheless. Figured I flooded the engine or something.

So, I put the bike back in the shed for about an hour, and went out to try it again. It still wouldnt start, so I checked the spark plug, and it wasn't fouled. I put the plug back in and then it started on the second kick. After riding a bit again, without it bogging out, I put it back in the shed for a little break.

Now, I just went out to ride, and it wont start. After about 15 kicks I got it started for a second, but it had a real weird sound to it..I dont really know how to describe it, it just sounded horrible. While still hitting the throttle, it just died. Tried starting it again, wouldnt start. It sounded like it wanted to, but just couldnt get going.

So, I put it back in the shed to use the kickstand as a support so I can get a bit more stability starting it, but now the kick start locked up. It moves down a bit, but right when it gets to where its about to try and start the bike it just stops. My stepdad, who doesnt ride and doesnt know much about bikes, said that it could be the compression is locked up for now, to wait a bit for the compression to leak out.

I talked with a friend who rides and rebuilds bikes, and he said the only time his bike bogged out was when the carb was dirty. After he cleaned it out it worked fine. I'm gonna try that, but wanted to get everyone's opinions here first.

So, I guess my three questions are:

Why did my bike bog out?
Why wont it start now that it did bog out?
Why wont the kickstart work?

Thanks for any help guys.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
You blew your engine. If it's still locked up when the motor is cold, you probably blew the bottom end. At the minimum, you're going to need to rebuild the crank and replace the piston. It is possible there is also damage to the cylinder plating and cylinder head.

yamarider88

Jun 24, 2007
sounds kinda like it may have some major problems :ohmy: and may need the bottom end checked and bearings and some gears replaced. also it could be something to do with the crank.

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
Sounds like its time to get a service manual and some tools. Sorry that it happened just days after getting it, but half the fun of owning a bike is learning what makes it work. :cool:

P.S. - I hope that the damage is minimal and that you will be up and running again soon.

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
Bah. Well, I have a few more questions then..

How could I have blown the engine? I havn't even done much with it, except ride it around in a field. I only put about 3 hours of riding on it, if that. I mixed it 32:1 gas and didnt even ride it that hard. I bought it from a shop that buys busted bikes and rebuilds them, so it just got brand new pistons and rings.

Also, how much would it be to rebuild the bottom end then? Or rather, all of the damages listed in the above posts.

A friend of mine hasnt rebuilt any engines in a couple of years, or been around that many bikes for a year or two now, but he says it doesnt sound like the engine is blown. Since it had started before the kick got locked up, thats why he doesnt think its blown.

Bah...The part im most pissed about though is that I just dumped all the money I had into this, so I have no more money for any parts, meaning it will be at least a month before I get enough money to rebuild the bottom end.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
At minimum you are going to need to pull the cylinder.. You need to get in there and take a look.. All of this speculation is going to get you no where.

Sounds like it's seized to me, but I am not there looking at it. And if it is, you are going to have to tear it down anyway.

That's something that you should be able to do in an hour or two..

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
Well, ill let the bike stay put until tomorrow, and see if the kick is still stuck. If it is, I guess ill get started on tearing the bike apart to see what I find.

Hopefully its something easy or just a blown piston or something, I really dont want to have to rebuild the whole engine as I dont have any money to do so, but I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
the more you keep trying to kick it over the more damage you are going to do. Role the bike out, drain the coolant and pull the head off the cylinder and see what the piston looks likes. That should give you an idea of where you stand alone, then from there its pulling the rest of it apart.

MeanorMX

May 30, 2007
Congratulations, you seized your first engine! My friend had the same thing happen to his bike. Remove cylinder, replace piston, crank, rings, etc. Good luck dude.

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
*sigh* guess i'll have to save up my money again for a couple of weeks.

Generally speaking, about how much is it for an engine rebuild?

Also, what exactly could I have done to sieze the engine up? Ive only been field riding, with about 3 hours of riding time..

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Could of did a bunch of things so depending on how bad the damage is will depend on how much its going to cost you. But first you need to pull the top end off. Maybe you just seized the rings up to the cylinder walls, maybe its a lot worse. Pull it apart and post pics or something so we can help you. We cant keep guessing at what it is.

Just out of curiosity what type of premix were you running?

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
sick 96 250 said:
Could of did a bunch of things so depending on how bad the damage is will depend on how much its going to cost you. But first you need to pull the top end off. Maybe you just seized the rings up to the cylinder walls, maybe its a lot worse. Pull it apart and post pics or something so we can help you. We cant keep guessing at what it is.

Just out of curiosity what type of premix were you running?

Well, when I get a chance then ill pull everything apart. Possibly tomorrow, as I dont think its supposed to rain tomorrow (been raining nonstop for 2 days, and supposed to rain for the next week), but we'll see.

By premix, you mean the gas mixture right? I was running 32:1, what I was told to run.

Top Bottom