76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I think I found the source of the piston damage. My right side crankcase seal was not round and was installed kind of funny (a little crooked). There was crankcase oil in the right side main bearing. I never really noticed any oil consumption, I think it only leaked when I am off the throttle (higher crankcase vacuums) which might explain why the bike started fouling plugs when I chop the throttle. I took a quick test run in the driveway, but it's already dark so I can't open it up. It didn't seem to be fouling the plug but it was loading up like it usually does when you don't open it up enough (driveway). I also replaced the shock linkage bearings as all of the seal collars were cracked. Hopefully this thing holds up long enough to survive Glamis. That was a lot of work for a day.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Yeesh, should have flushed the cases before I put it back together. I spent about about 2 hours trying to get the bike to clear out. It started and ran fine initially. I rode it around for a while and never really got on it to break things in a little. As soon as I got on it, the thing shut down. After that, I would pull the plug, clean it, it would start, and as soon as I revved it up, it shut down. Cleaned the plug and repeated about 50 times. After a while I got it to run long enough to go about 100 yards and then it shut down. Every time I opened up the throttle, the plug would foul and there was no bringing it back. The oil was obviously old gear case oil, the premix has a red color to it. Eventually, I started the bike and was able to keep it running at a high idle and slowly rolled on the throttle until it started to foul the plug and backed off. I kept doing this until I was able to hold it full throttle, you should have seen the cloud of smoke this thing was making. I made a full throttle run from a stop to top speed and now the bike runs absolutely perfectly. I really hated to do that on a freshly rebuilt motor, but there was no other way to keep it running.

Top Bottom