Mar 1, 2005
7-18-2005,today i went out to check on my cr to see if i could find the problem i've gotten as far as cleaning the carb,moving the neddle clip to the 3rd slot and checking the float level. went to try and get it started and all it will do now is start and die. since it seemed to be running so rich yesterday with all the sputtering unless i kept it pinned. i drained my tank and switched fuel with 32:1 instead of 20:1 as the manual calls for but befor i did that i tried getting it running and the same results with both fuel mixtures.any advice on what to try next? could it be reeds or my ignition causing the problems? thats the only other things i can think of to try at this point, just hoping for some suggestions befor i pull it apart any farther.
7-17-05
i finally got to ride my cr60 today and have a problem the bike smokes like crazy and does not bog but makes like a burbling or stuttering sound when you try to rev it out or when you start riding it would only rev clean once i started moving with the throttle pinned after about half a lap or so around my field it would finally rev clean but if i stopped completely or let the revs drop long enough it would started burbling again until i had it pinned for a bit. after riding for maybe 1 hour or so some slow through the trails and then the field i killed the motor and stopped for awhile, started it back up and it seemed to be running alittle better but after about 2 min or so it started bogging and would sometimes rev but it would be stuttering baldly almost made it home but it finally bogged out and died completey. i think its loading up from the sound of it and the smoke but am not sure. as far as i know its in fine mechanical shape good compression and all. tried the air screw but it didn't really help im thinking maybe the float or something else in the carb or my reeds. the carb and reeds sat for about 4 years or so since i last used them, i cleaned the carb made sure all jets were completely clear but did not check the float level any advice would be appreciated wanna get out there in the mourning and see whats up. can a plug foul but the bike not die immediately?.thats my thoughts on the matter sorry for writing alittle book here but thanks in advance for anyone who sticks around to offer any advice.

Last edited:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
fresh gas??

Mar 1, 2005
update to bike just dies on me from 7-17-05

checked the float height which was fine,all jets are clear,pulled the plug it looked fouled,bought a new one today and cranked the motor over to check my spark, perfect blue color so now i know its not the ignition or carb. checked the reeds, no cracks but three of them are not closed all the way if you put it up to a light i can see the gaps in them,not huge but def alittle light can be seen through them. anybody got any other ideas on things i can check if need be? i didn't get a chance to try and start it after i got the plug so i'll try it in the mourning and if it still is loading up i'll post an update, at this point im outta ideas of things to try if its no better tomorrow. any input would be appreciated, thanks

original post:

7-17-05
i finally got to ride my cr60 today and have a problem the bike smokes like crazy and does not bog but makes like a burbling or stuttering sound when you try to rev it out. or when you start riding it would only rev clean once i had the throttle pinned after about half a lap or so around my field it would finally rev clean but if i stopped completely or let the revs drop long enough it would started burbling again until i had it running wide open again for a bit. after riding for maybe 1 hour or so some slow through the trails and then the field i killed the motor and stopped for awhile, started it back up and it seemed to be running alittle better but after about 2 min or so it started bogging out of nowhere and would sometimes rev but it would be stuttering baldly almost made it home but it finally bogged out and died completely. i think its running way to rich from the sound of it and the smoke but am not sure,hopefully just fouled the plug. as far as i know its in fine mechanical shape good compression and all.

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
My 80 RM60 has a similar problem unless you fully warm up the engine. Idle it for about a minute or so and revv it sometimes and then try to ride.

Top Bottom