Bike Maintenance Q's

sraser

May 31, 2001
I currently ride a 2000 YZ250 and have started to get a lot more serious about riding in the past few months. I prefrom all of the basic maintenance on my bike...change the air filter evey 1-2 rides, oil every 2-3, clean the chain every ride, just regreased my steering bearing and repleced my front and rear wheel bearings, and replaced and flushed out my front and rear brakes. What other important tasks am I missing? I want to grease my linkage bearings, but have never had any experience with anything like that before. Any tips? I always feel that no matter how much I do...there is always something more that I should be doing....

Thanks for the help guys...

sraser

May 31, 2001
I forgot to mention that I just replaced my fork seals (dust and oil)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Don't forget the spokes, they'll seize if you don't treat them early.:D I loosen and tighten mine every few rides, especially if you go into water. Preventive maintanence. Linkage bearings are easy, just pull the rear swingarm off and grease em. It would be a good idea to grease up the swing arm bolt also, the one that runs through the frame. It gets sticky with water.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
definatly a top end and reeds. Ps, I think its "rings" its a 250. Mine has 2 at least.

sraser

May 31, 2001
Thanks for the info guys...I am curious about the reeds. I don't have a lot of knowledge as far as the mechanics of the bike. What exactly do the reeds do and what should I look for as far as replacing them?

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
They are between the carb and intake port and measure the amoutn of fuel/air mixture that goes into the combustion. In time they tend to wear down and can cause hard starting, bad jetting, or poor engine performance. The way you can check if they are any good is to check the petals for a gap between the top petal and bottom petal. Even a .001'' can cause engine problems, you want to have zero gap. Stock reeds are made of fiberglass, which the stock reeds are very good, a companie called Boyesen (www.boyesen.com) makes aftermarket reeds that come in a dual-stage form in either fiberglass, carbon-fiber, or even a high performanced reed vavle. The boyesen Power (fiber-glass) Reeds are good replacement reeds but don't look for too much in a performance increase. I have had great luck with the Boyesen Pro-Series (carbon-fiber) Reeds, in my old CR125. It instantly increase throttle response and helped with the low-end power. The last thing is the Boyesen Rad Vavle (includes special Pro Series Reeds). I installed one on my LT250R which had a stock vavle with Power Reeds. The Rad vavle increased the throttle response dramastically and helped in the low-mind range power and was like as different as night and day with the stock vavle. Boyesen reeds are very worth it.

Power Reeds - around $35-40
Pro Series Reeds - around $50-60
Rad Vavle - around $150-170

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
the top ends is starting to scare me now, how many hours are on the bike since the last rebuild?

sraser

May 31, 2001
I actually bought the bike last November right after it had a new top end put in. I had to break it in and everything. My first real ride on it, and I break my wrist and get surgery. They put a screw in and I was out for 6 months. So I really began putting the hours on in late May. I don't think the top end is an issue now. I ride about 1-2 times per week on average and I haven't noticed any loss in power or compression on the bike. I was planning on doing a rebuiuld around Crhristmas time. Does that ound about right? I have heard that at the rate I ride, it is a good idea to do a top end about once a year. I mainly do trails, bu tin the past couple of months I have been getting into motocross and do a majority of my riding at the tracks. Is once a year a good estimate for me? How hard is it to replace the reeds? Like I said, I don't have much hands on experience, but I am pretty mechanically inclined and pick up things very quick and would like to do them myself if possible. Thanks again for the help guys...

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
The reeds are a piece of cake. More work to get the carb and airbox off. Once you pull off the carb, the reed cage will unbolt and comeright out. The reeds have some philip head screws that hold themin place, you'll see em. The Boysen Power Reeds are what I got, they work great and help my low to mid. I believe the Pro ones are designed to open up more at the higher rpm range.

The top end can be replaced once a year if you really don't ride it hard and race all the time. I do mine once a year because I don't race but ride a mix of MX and trails all year round. Unless you ride pro, IMO, you don't really notice the little power loss if you don't change your top end every other race. Once you do a top end, it just gets easier each time. There are plenty of top end posts here, just do a search and read them over. They'll give you opinions on OEM or aftermarket top end kits and when to change them. Good luck
Elk

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…