truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Gang,

Ok... I am going to keep the YZF 262 for at least one more year.

It currently has 79 hours on it since Rich Rohrich went through the engine completely (new crank, bearings, seals, 262 kit, KW valves, KW springs and hotcams) and I have only serviced the suspenders twice and greased the linkage once yet the bearings still look to be in good shape.

I really have not ridden too hard on this. It has a handful of Harescrambles (one GNCC), 3 rides to West Va (5 hour rides usually) and about 10 motocross races combined. I figured it up and since I got it back from you in February 05 I have averaged 1 hour a week of ride time and the vast majority of riding has been goofing off at the track and trails. Not a lot of riding but I have had some stuff going on.

I have kept the oil and air filter changed every 5 hours and the oil filter every 10-15 hours.

I am putting a new top end in it (have not tore down the head yet), timing chain, new muffler packing, greasing everything and servicing the suspenders. I am even going to have the wheels trued and new sprockets and chain put on.

Can you think of anything else I need?

Like I said, everything seems to look good so far so I am expecting the top end to be in good shape too (plug looks good and the bike still starts well hot or cold). Last time I checked the valves (about 20 hours ago at hour 60) they had not budged since hour 10.

I think after another year I might get a new bike so I want this to last another 80 hours of riding before I put a new top end in it.

Thanks
Ivan
PS... I know 80 hours is a long time but considering I am a slow, low revver I usually get good life out of my engines.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Ivan - What you've outlined should cover you for the coming season. If you want to send the head to me I'll freshen up the valve seats for you. At 80 hours there should be little to no wear, but as long as you have the top end off I'd like to take a look at it valve seats and the springs just to further my own education on the wear patterns.

Top Bottom