Feb 22, 2004
Hi all,

My girlfriend has accepted my invitation to ride motorcycles. We went to a dirt bike store and bought all the basic gear (Fox women's jersey/pants in light blue, Alpinestars boots in white, HJC helmet in black/grey/white).

Now, we need a bike. We're starting from virtually no motorcycle experience, but good muscle motor skills, 28y.o., college basketball player (but only 5'7"), excellent physical shape.

I like the new CRF250X. Is this thing tame enough to start on *and* continue to ride on after the initial learning curve?

Plan "B" would be an XR200 or similar bike for a few months, then a "real" bike.

Suggestions?

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
The XR200 is a really good bike to learn on, but it's probably a little short for somebody who's 5'7" and it's pretty easy to grow out of as far as the motor and suspension go. I do think that my XR200 helped me learn quicker than if I would have started on another "real" bike, but I really can't say for sure. After a little less than a year of riding it I was already making plans to get a new bike. The CRF250X, from the reviews I've read, is a pretty snappy race-type bike. It might be tame enough to learn on, but I'm not sure. It would definitely be a good bike after she finished learning, but I'm not sure about learning on it. It all depends on how well she adapts, I guess. Either way has its pros and cons. Good luck with your decision!

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

It would probably be good to start on a XR-200 and then move on to a more aggressive bike. The CRF-250X probably wouldn't be a bad bike to learn on, however, at her height she might prefer to start on something with a lower seight height, then move up as her confidence grows. Have her sit on both bikes, and get whatever she feels more comfortable on. You probably won't lose any money on an XR-200 anyway, they have great resale value!

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Why not consider a KDX200 to start on? Stock, power is quite tame. As she grows in experience, all kinds of mods can be made to uncork the bike. Reliable, and easy to find good used bikes.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I'm 5'7" and it's kind of an awkward height to be--too tall for shorter bikes, just a little short for tall bikes. Now if she's confident and not easily intimidated, the CRF would work fine--the power/weight/e-start would kick ass for a beginner. But not being able to put your foot down and touch easily can be a little intimidated for a beginner. If you think that might be a problem for her, you might consider a different bike for a starter. I'd get a CRF before a KDX though--more technology for a similar weight/size package. I sat on a KDX and while they might be a hair shorter, they are enough wider that the end result is the same. Good power though.

Personally--I'd lean towards the 250X myself. That's just me.

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
Thanks for all the replies. I don't think that she'll be easily intimidated. She did sit on the bike, and she can't quite sit flat footed on the ground.

Probably wouldn't get a two stroke, just because I have all four strokes. Too big of a chance of somebody putting straight gas in it.

I hadn't considered that an XR200 will hold value well, so I'll probably go that route for a few months.

Tony

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
My first bike was a year old KDX 220. It's a common beginner bike andyou can get a steal of a deal on ones that people have purchased, roded once or twice, and decided either they don't have enough time, dirt bikes are more work than expected, or the bike is too big/too small for the purchaser. Brand new I think they run under $4k, and we got mine used for $2600, in perfect condition. Not only that they also tent to hold their value. I think I sold mine 3 years later for $2500.

IN addition to price, it's a very good bike to learn on. It's a 2 stroke, but has the torque of a 4 stroke, while still being just a touch lighter than most 4 strokes.

Anyways good luck!

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
I just got my CRF250X Sunday. I came off a TTR125L.
I was really nervous about such a big jump in HP from one to the other. I had no problems with the CRF at all. Within a few laps I was handling the bike as well as my TTR. I'm 5'3 and by sliding the fork tubes up and softening out the rear suspension, I could touch the ground. With the e-start I don't need to worry about needing to touch the ground to kick the bike over. I never felt uncomfortable on the bike and the power is very smooth. I've tried 125's and couldn't get the hang of the powerband. It's not an issue on the CRF but it CAN get going if you twist the throttle. I do notice the weight over jumps because the front end drops faster than my TTR. Overall it was the best purchase for me. It doesn't have any trouble lugging around in low gear.
I haven't dumped it over yet so I'm not sure if I can pick it up!!
Good luck on your decision. I'm glad I waited for this bike for me.
Susan

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
firecracker22 said:
Are you going to get her to post in here? We all have *lots* of opinions.

Heck, that'd be a good idea! I'm the one spearheading / buying this, and there's always the possibility that this bike will be one of the many "for sale, rode two times, girlfriend wants a boat".

I'm anxious to get her just riding, and I've been planning this since last year.

Top Bottom