junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
www.dubbelju.com

Has anyone ever used these folks? My wife and I will be in SF in late October for the Nike women's marathon and I was looking for some transportation while she's busy killing herself. I was considering the BMW 650. Any experience/other options appreciated or tour routes (preferably less congested) in the area as well. Thanks.

Mark :cool:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Mark from what I've heard the F650 would be great as a single mount and even short runs two up but might not be exactly what you want if you plan to do some longer runs with both of you.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
I was considering that. Only problem is I'm not sure how much time she'll be with me. She has certain commitments with Team in Training while there. If it turns out she'll be with me most of the time, I may opt for the 1200GS. I was thinking the 650 might be best for in the city and any "offroading" I might get into, but if we're 2 up, I'll probably stick to the asphalt. Thanks for the input.

Mark

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Farmer John said:
Might also want to check out www.pacificcycleco.com
May not have the bike you want, but good people...

One of my friends and his wife rented a Harley from them a few years ago. He's dirt biked and dual sported for many years, but his wife had rarely if ever been on a bike. They took a trip along the coast and both had a great time.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Thanks FJ. I looked into them. Only drawback is they're in San Jose, 50 miles from my hotel in San Fran. The one I inquired about in my first post is 1/2 mile from the hotel. Location is a big factor for dropping off/picking up. I could deal with the bikes that Pacific offers and their bikes come with GPS as well. They are actually a bit cheaper too, but by the time I tack on delivery/cab fares to get to them, I'm in the same price range as the one that's 6 blocks away. Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

Turns out she's actually interested in doing a little sightseeing with me on the bike. So it looks like I may be forced to move up to the bigger bike. The big Harley looks nice as far as comfort for the passenger, but I've been told a topcase can be added to the BMW for passenger comfort. I'd like her to be as comfortable as possible to better my chances for future riding trips. Besides I've ridden several Harleys, but never a BMW. It would be nice to try out a new ride. I ride mostly dirt and dual sport solo, but would like to make more 2 up road trips.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
From what I saw, all their bikes are $150 a day(24 hrs) or $100 for 12 hrs. tax included. Helmet and raingear included in that price too.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
I got the maps in yesterday that FJ suggested. These are some really cool maps. I won't be using them until next month, so I can't vouch for accuracy, but they are really nice. The one for traveling outside of SF is laminated. They are reasonably priced too. Check 'em out. www.madmaps.com They cover several different states. I'm still looking for suggestions for ride routes if anyone has any.

Mark

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
When will you be in town???
I know late October.....
If I know the dates, I might be able to either give you some suggestions, or be a tour guide. :)

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
I will be in town from the 19th-22nd. All riding will be on the 20th & 21st although ride times may change. My wife has obligations with her running team and I may have to work some of this around her schedule. Thanks.

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Mark,
Best of luck to Dawn, I know shes been working hard twords this.
An idea for a ride is to head down the coast on hwy 1 to Half moon bay. The Half Moon Bay air port had good breakfasts from what I remembered. From there , there are several options.
1) head east on 92 until you get to Skyline Blvd. Right/south on skyline(rt35). this is a great twisty road perfect for motercycles. It will be about 10 miles to rt 84. At the corner of 35 & 84 is a gathering spot for bikes at the resturaunt. It was common for there to be a hundred or more bikes on a weekend morning. From there you could go west on 84 back to hwy 1 and go south to Santa Cruz for a beach- surfing type town. If your interested in seeing gigantic Redwoods, continue south on 35 until hwy9 and go south or west to Big basin redwoods st park. This will take the whole day as the road in the park is very twisty and slow. My wifes coment after going thru the park was "ive seen more f ing trees today than the rest of my life combined", so on second thought stick to the coast!
2) go south on hwy 1 all the way to Carmel and eat at the Hogs Breath Saloon, this was Clint Eastwoods resturant.

You could also just head north on hwy 1 over the Golden Gate bridge, and keep going. the coast is a nice ride. when you have gone far enough, head east to hwy101 to get back to the city.
Have a great time out there and be safe, those CA drivers are nuts.

Walt

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Thanks Walt. Hwy 1 to 101 is actually one of the routes I'm considering. It's one of the highlighted routes on the maps I bought as well. Dawn mentioned riding down to Carmel. We'll have to check out the Hogs Breath while we're there. I'll give Dawn the good wishes from you. Thanks again, I know you've been a lot of help in her training.

Mark

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
You might also consider heading North to Bodega Bay... You'll ride over the Golden Gate and on up the coast. Being this is Dungeness Crab season, you'll find plenty of good places to pull off and get a plate of crab and/or oysters... Bodega Bay is home of the School house featured in Hitcocks movie "The Birds". :yikes:

I'd stay off the 17 coming back from Santa Cruz- heavy travel, winding downhill and not much room for error...

Have fun in "bahgdad by the bay" [Herb Caen refference]

Ken

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Got it, sent you one back. I spoke with the rental folks yesterday and confirmed a bike for Saturday and Sunday.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Working on a ride report. More pics than report so far.

Top Bottom