tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I replaced the entire electrical system and now when I kick it over, the engine is kicking in counter-clockwise like it is suppose to but when it fires up the engine rotates clockwise.

The engine is suppose to fire at 6' BTDC on idle and I think the new aftermarket coil and CDI combo is firing at 6' after top dead center.  I watched the flywheel and saw how it switched rotation upon starting.:think:

So is it a faulty-reversed electrical component or is there something that I am just not doing correctly?  I thought I heard once of motorcycles running in reverse.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I believe that is correct, but I will check it. What else?

TM400Rider

Aug 18, 2003
I have heard of this before on a KXT 250 Tecate 3 wheeler,and the guy put a flywheel on it that was rebuilt wrong,whoever rebuilt it had the magnets on to where it knocked the timing off badly,he had to get another flywheel.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Well I just put on a 92 kdx coil and CDI. It started and did the same thing. The only thing left is the Magneto/stator. I did notice that the ground and positive were reverse from my OEM. Maybe the way the wire is wrapped around the steel plates has something to do with it. It might be sending the polarity shift in reverse. I will try flipping the mag upside down and see what happens.
The keyway was correct buy the way.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I switched the magneto pos and neg and still no joy.
I am out of ideas. Guess I got ride the track backwards.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
The stator plate is in the middle of the three marks.
I am wondering if the magneto is wound the wrong way will it make a difference. I am will probably swap the mag from the 92.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Ted,

Did you make any other changes besides the CDI? Sounds very strange that this would be a new problem. The fact that it does the same thing with the '92 unit doesn't mean a thing if its the wrong unit. It is possible that the after market CDI you received is for a '92 as well, right. Does someone local to you have '95-'03 KDX that would let you borrow their CDI for a few minutes?

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I am wondering if the magneto is wound the wrong way will it make a difference

I kinda doubt it . My thinking is that it is AC current and it shouldn't matter. If it was DC and reversed polarity it would probably fry something and wouldnt work/spark at all.

It is apparant that you have a good healthy spark to make the motor fire the problem appears to be mistimed spark making it backfire and run backwards. If you are mixing and matching parts from different years is it possible that, the magnets in the rotor are in a different spot,the pulse/trigger coil is ina different spot, and or the cdi box isnt set up for the timing of the magnets passing the coils?

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
The CDI is analog and not digital so, as I am told by Electrex, all kdx's share the same ignition curve and a lot of other two-stroke bikes too. The stator plate and flywheel are the same part numbers for a 92 and 96. The only difference is the CDI wiring in those two years to facilitate different placements on the bike. I will be calling the company today.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
:flame: I figured it out!

The magneto had come to me with the ground on the right side when looking at it mounted on stator plate.  I had thought that could not be right since I would have to put the cdi wire all the way to the left side.  So I first flipped it, no joy, then I switched the neg and pos terminals, still no joy.  So the last thing to do was put the terminals back in the original position and feed more wire into the stator area in order to reach the left side of the magneto. 

Well that worked. It runs forward.  Something about the way it is wound and the direction the current flows.  If it is reversed, the current is reversed, making the bike fire in mirror image.

Learned lesson.  Stretch the wire first and mount as normal, instead of messing with it due to second guessing.

The 92 Coil and CDI work on it.  The aftermarket coil/cdi combo work on it.

Time to ride. :yeehaw:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Cool. Welcome back to riding forward!

Top Bottom